The Student Room Group

What does the addition of 'please' mean in this context?

I caught up with an old friend from school yesterday. He just contacted me on Facebook saying:

'...Look after yourself and please keep in touch.'

I just read it over and it juts seemed a bit strange. The majority of people who have said similar to me have just said 'Keep in touch'. The addition of 'please' makes it sound quite funny, perhaps even a bit emotional? Does anyone else feel this?

How does the addition of 'please' change the meaning of this statement?
i guess he really wants you to keep in touch?
Original post by Tomm98
I caught up with an old friend from school yesterday. He just contacted me on Facebook saying:

'...Look after yourself and please keep in touch.'

I just read it over and it juts seemed a bit strange. The majority of people who have said similar to me have just said 'Keep in touch'. The addition of 'please' makes it sound quite funny, perhaps even a bit emotional? Does anyone else feel this?

How does the addition of 'please' change the meaning of this statement?

seems to me he is trying to be extra polite... he may be someone who looks up to you or may have to respect you... maybe if he meant to say "please do keep in touch" it would sound a lot better... is he foreign?
Reply 3
Is that how it differs from 'Keep in touch' - does 'keep in touch' mean just contact them generally, but 'please keep in touch' mean contact them often? :smile:
He's being polite.
"Please" in this case i think he really want you to keep in touch with you because he has a bit of "confuse, worry" if you will keep in touch with him or not. So, just keep in touch if you want to keep in touch with him :smile: .
But don't think too much, after few conversation/chat, you will find out what he want.
(edited 6 years ago)
Think you're looking into this a bit too much...

Quick Reply

Latest