OutsideOfItAll
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I had been under the impression that AS grades were more important than GCSE, but lately I’ve heard people say that universities are looking more closely at GCSE’s.

I did far better at AS than GCSE, with AAAA* compared to A*A*AAAAAB at GCSE.

Is this true about GCSE and if so can this hinder my chances of getting into a top Russell group?

Thanks.
username3482002
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
A* at AS??
Zentox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
you literally got nearly all A's at gcse why are you worried loooool
arch0wnz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by *TomTomSatNav*)
A* at AS??
You can get an A* in EPQ
OutsideOfItAll
Rep:
?
(Original post by *TomTomSatNav*)
A* at AS??
They made an exception for me.

Jokes, it was an EPQ.
OutsideOfItAll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zentox)
you literally got nearly all A's at gcse why are you worried loooool
All A’s is good in the hood for me but I keep seeing the people applying to uni’s like Cambridge, Durham and Warwick getting some intense A*’s.
Ed5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by OutsideOfItAll)
I had been under the impression that AS grades were more important than GCSE, but lately I’ve heard people say that universities are looking more closely at GCSE’s.

I did far better at AS than GCSE, with AAAA* compared to A*A*AAAAAB at GCSE.

Is this true about GCSE and if so can this hinder my chances of getting into a top Russell group?

Thanks.
Officially, most unis don't place much or any importance on GCSEs as long as they aren't abysmal. This includes Oxford and Cambridge, so you shouldn't have a problem. You can check this on their individual requirements pages.

AS Levels may factor more into whether you receive offers or not, but it's mostly your predicted grades. If they are very low compared to your predicted grades they might doubt that you are able to achieve these, but this won't be a problem for you as you got straight As. Also note that you won't be at any advantage having taken 4 rather than 3, as not all schools are able to offer >3.

Given AS Levels are being phased out in favour of the reformed linear courses, I imagine their importance will dwindle until they are removed entirely.
OutsideOfItAll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ed5)
Officially, most unis don't place much or any importance on GCSEs as long as they aren't abysmal. This includes Oxford and Cambridge, so you shouldn't have a problem. You can check this on their individual requirements pages.

AS Levels may factor more into whether you receive offers or not, but it's mostly your predicted grades. If they are very low compared to your predicted grades they might doubt that you are able to achieve these, but this won't be a problem for you as you got straight As. Also note that you won't be at any advantage having taken 4 rather than 3, as not all schools are able to offer >3.

Given AS Levels are being phased out in favour of the reformed linear courses, I imagine their importance will dwindle until they are removed entirely.
Thank you,
I seem to have the opposite problem as my school has a tendency to give students low predicted grades for great stats when they excel these.
Zentox
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by OutsideOfItAll)
All A’s is good in the hood for me but I keep seeing the people applying to uni’s like Cambridge, Durham and Warwick getting some intense A*’s.
Is that on TSR? If so that’s normal loool. Your predicted grades will be As and A*s so you should get offers hopefully! Good luck
Nurani61105
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The reason why people are looking at GCSEs more than AS now is because our A levels are now linear. Before, the AS grade formed part of the A2 grade (like Maths, FM and a few other legacy subjects still are), so you had to sit them. Now, they are optional and don't make a difference to your final A level grade so that's why many universities don't care about them anymore. But some schools enter their students to do all AS exams to use as your UCAS predictions.
OutsideOfItAll
Rep:
?
(Original post by Zentox)
Is that on TSR? If so that’s normal loool. Your predicted grades will be As and A*s so you should get offers hopefully! Good luck
That’s a relief!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (712)
33.95%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (897)
42.78%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (395)
18.84%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (93)
4.43%

Watched Threads