Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Fakes On Ebay! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've seen and heard about all these fake items going around on eBay ; particularly fake branded clothing. Anyone ever bought anything fake purposely or accidentally? An example is :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUGO-BOSS-....c100009.m1982
    These Hugo Boss polo's go for around £40-£50+ retail and is clearly a fake. This is due to them saying they are factory seconds. This is to compensate for the "fakeness" of the item. Hugo Boss will never sell factory seconds. They destroy them. Otherwise people would buy these and not buy the good quality stock. They say the factory seconds will have minor imperfections that aren't earned from accidents but are from the fake clothing sweatshops in Thailand etc. where they don't focus as closely on detail. What are your opinions guys?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President Hawk)
    I've seen and heard about all these fake items going around on eBay ; particularly fake branded clothing. Anyone ever bought anything fake purposely or accidentally? An example is :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUGO-BOSS-....c100009.m1982
    These Hugo Boss polo's go for around £40-£50+ retail and is clearly a fake. This is due to them saying they are factory seconds. This is to compensate for the "fakeness" of the item. Hugo Boss will never sell factory seconds. They destroy them. Otherwise people would buy these and not buy the good quality stock. They say the factory seconds will have minor imperfections that aren't earned from accidents but are from the fake clothing sweatshops in Thailand etc. where they don't focus as closely on detail. What are your opinions guys?
    This has been going on for ages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    This has been going on for ages.
    What do you think about it? Should eBay clamp down on these sellers? It would be so easy to nab them with a quick search. It frustrates me at people who either know their fakes or don't look for the telltale signs.

ReputationRep:
    What do you think about it? Should eBay clamp down on these sellers? It would be so easy to nab them with a quick search. It frustrates me at people who either know their fakes or don't look for the telltale signs.
    If the price is too good to be true, then it's most definitely not pukka.

I only buy products from reputable sellers with positive feedback.

ReputationRep:
    Fake branded clothing has been around since the brands themselves have. eBay is and has been very strict on fakes, they get rid of thousands of posts everyday. This isn't new at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Leonidas)
    If the price is too good to be true, then it's most definitely not pukka.

I only buy products from reputable sellers with positive feedback.
    That's what I usually do too but it seems people who buy the fakes often leave positive feedback further fueling the sellers fraudulent ways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemon Haze)
    Fake branded clothing has been around since the brands themselves have. eBay is and has been very strict on fakes, they get rid of thousands of posts everyday. This isn't new at all.
    But these people have many accounts and never use their main acc to see these fakes. They also use different pay pals so if one account gets blocked the can simply create a new account and keep going.

ReputationRep:
    Define fake? Odds are they're probably, albeit unofficially, made in the same factory..

ReputationRep:
    But these people have many accounts and never use their main acc to see these fakes. They also use different pay pals so if one account gets blocked the can simply create a new account and keep going.
    That's just how the world works. eBay isn't a God. They can only shut down an account when found and proven fraudulent. The same way a court can only send someone to jail when found guilty...theres nothing to stop them doing the same crime again when they are released.

ReputationRep:
    I never had that experience before, I only buy products from reputable sellers with positive feedback.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.