Help with what subject to drop?

Watch this thread
Fonzworth
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I’ve started Year 12 and I am doing History, Geography, Law & Physics. I have decided to focus on 3 subjects, my school has also withdrawn us from doing AS exams so doing 4 is pointless.

I’m deciding between whether to drop Law or Physics. I’m currently enjoying and doing well in both subjects, but one will have to go.

Physics alone won’t open much doors as I’m not doing Maths, I won’t be able to do Physics, Engineering or Geophysics. It does, however, allow me to do Geology. I haven’t looked much into it however I know it basically combines what I like about Geography with what I like about Physics. Since I’m doing 3, I’ll have time to work on my maths skills, my maths and physics department has kindly said that they are willing to help me with any working (including mechanics). One other possible career path I’m interested in is being a pilot, so Physics may help me during my ATPL exam. Also, Physics is seen as a stronger subject

Law, on the other hand, goes more with my other subjects, but it will limit me to Law or other humanity/social science degrees at university, closing the path of Geology. As it’s another essay based subject I may be more confident in it. I’m finding Law interesting and if I did something besides Law at university then I would kind of be annoyed that I have missed out on legal education. However I don’t even need it for Law at university.
Ed5
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fonzworth)
I’ve started Year 12 and I am doing History, Geography, Law & Physics. I have decided to focus on 3 subjects, my school has also withdrawn us from doing AS exams so doing 4 is pointless.

I’m deciding between whether to drop Law or Physics. I’m currently enjoying and doing well in both subjects, but one will have to go.

Physics alone won’t open much doors as I’m not doing Maths, I won’t be able to do Physics, Engineering or Geophysics. It does, however, allow me to do Geology. I haven’t looked much into it however I know it basically combines what I like about Geography with what I like about Physics. Since I’m doing 3, I’ll have time to work on my maths skills, my maths and physics department has kindly said that they are willing to help me with any working (including mechanics). One other possible career path I’m interested in is being a pilot, so Physics may help me during my ATPL exam. Also, Physics is seen as a stronger subject

Law, on the other hand, goes more with my other subjects, but it will limit me to Law or other humanity/social science degrees at university, closing the path of Geology. As it’s another essay based subject I may be more confident in it. I’m finding Law interesting and if I did something besides Law at university then I would kind of be annoyed that I have missed out on legal education. However I don’t even need it for Law at university.
You've said it all already really, I can't think of that much to add. Out of the two, physics will ultimately be more useful but limited without maths. It also means you have a more varied set, as history, geography and law wouldn't offer as wide a skill set and would restrict you entirely from going into a scientific field.

If I'm honest, I don't think either is a particularly good option. Physics without maths will not only be very difficult (the only people I've known who did this dropped out, even with help) but will also be of little use to you.

Maths could be a preferable subject to take instead - it would open up a lot more options at uni which you may not have known you were interested in and doesn't rely on another subject like physics does.

Alternatively, chemistry and biology are sciences less dependent on maths, and also lead into many respectable degrees.
Fonzworth
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Ed5)
You've said it all already really, I can't think of that much to add. Out of the two, physics will ultimately be more useful but limited without maths. It also means you have a more varied set, as history, geography and law wouldn't offer as wide a skill set and would restrict you entirely from going into a scientific field.

If I'm honest, I don't think either is a particularly good option. Physics without maths will not only be very difficult (the only people I've known who did this dropped out, even with help) but will also be of little use to you.

Maths could be a preferable subject to take instead - it would open up a lot more options at uni which you may not have known you were interested in and doesn't rely on another subject like physics does.

Alternatively, chemistry and biology are sciences less dependent on maths, and also lead into many respectable degrees.
I would do Maths, however I don’t feel like I’m confident enough. I’m confident with the maths in Physics but there large mathematic specification in Maths makes me shiver
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (10)
20.83%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (4)
8.33%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
8.33%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (5)
10.42%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (13)
27.08%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (12)
25%

Watched Threads