Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to university to study politics and Sheffield Hallam is more than likely going to be my first choice, can any current students on this course or at SHU can tell me what the unis like, e.g. Student union and nightlife etc
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ap_00)
    I'm applying to university to study politics and Sheffield Hallam is more than likely going to be my first choice, can any current students on this course or at SHU can tell me what the unis like, e.g. Student union and nightlife etc
    Hey there, I don't study Politics, but I can tell you a bit about what the Uni is like!

There's quite a huge amount of students that study here, which means there are buildings specific to some courses or areas. You'll study on Collegiate Campus, which is close to Ecclesall road, a place with lots of pubs and bars, independent restaurants, student houses and a big park.

Sheffield is a really fun place with lots going on, especially with the nightlife as you have mentioned! The main place where fun bars are is a street called West Street, and close by at Devonshire Street. Between these two roads is Carver Street, where there are four or five clubs which host different kinds of nights, including a couple of nights where they all open together! This includes Crystal which hosts Hallam Nation, our own student night. As well as these clubs there are Corporation (playing mostly rock music with a charts room too); CODE: and Plug (playing chart music, plug sometimes playing Indie); the Leadmill (playing mostly indie with an R&B room). What I'm trying to say is, there is sooooo much choice as to where you could go, you'll never get bored!

The Students' Union is great too, to accommodate for all the students. It gives you the chance to join a huge variety of Societies, to volunteer or to join sports teams, and they have an advice service who can help you with any issue you might have! There is also a great bar and a cafe as well as rooms upstairs for socials, club nights and just hanging out and playing table tennis or pool.

There are open days coming up on Sunday October 1st, Sunday October 22nd, and Saturday November 25th if you want to come and have a look around and find out more about your course. Book onto those here: https://www.shu.ac.uk/visit-us/open-days

Is there anything else you'd like to know?

Ellie

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.