The Student Room Group

What A-Levels should I take to do Linguistics?

I'm in year 11 and will soon have to choose my A-Levels. I know what subjects I want to do: Maths, French, Computer Science, and English Language, but I'm not certain of how beneficial this combination will be when applying for a Linguistics course. I'm hoping to get into Cambridge University, does anyone know what subjects they favour?
Original post by ivyredhart
I'm in year 11 and will soon have to choose my A-Levels. I know what subjects I want to do: Maths, French, Computer Science, and English Language, but I'm not certain of how beneficial this combination will be when applying for a Linguistics course. I'm hoping to get into Cambridge University, does anyone know what subjects they favour?

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/linguistics
Typical offers require

A Level: A*AA
IB: 40-42 points, with 776 at Higher Level

For other qualifications, see our main Entrance requirements pages.

Course requirements

Required by all Colleges: no specific subjects
Required by some Colleges: no specific subjects
Useful preparation: English (Literature or Language), Mathematics, an arts/science mix, a language (ancient or modern)

All undergraduate admissions decisions are the responsibility of the Cambridge Colleges so check College websites for College-specific requirements. See also Entrance requirements and The Subject Matters for additional advice about general requirements for entry, qualifications and offers.
I'm a prospective Linguistics student too looking at Russell Group unis. Not Oxbridge mind you. From what I've seen Linguistics itself does not need specific subjects. But if you decide to do English Language which is very closely linked then English Literature or Language or combined is a requirement.

I'm in year 13 and haven't made my mind up on which one yet even though the modules are all pretty much the same and at unis that offer both subjects they're near enough the same degree.

Quick Reply

Latest