The Student Room Group

sociology or history as an A level? please help.

Hello, I've just started college a few weeks ago and I originally choose Law, Business and Sociology as the 3 A levels I'm going to study for the next 2 years. But now I'm having doubts about Sociology and whether I should study History instead since I still have some time to change them if I wish to do so. I did do History at GCSE and I got a B but I'm unsure about it as an A level because I'm told its sooooo much harder. I'm scared and I just want to do something I'll find quite easy, interesting and an A level which universities will appreciate. Also, I don't know what I want to study in the future but I'm leaning towards something to do with Law. However, I do want to keep my options open as much as possible cause I don't know what to do 100%.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If you enjoy ur subject u will put more work into it.

Which one do u think will stimulate and interest you most?
Reply 2
At GCSE, I was interested in History to an extent. Like I found it more interesting to revise and learn the topics myself rather than be in lesson and learn. Also i did have an interest towards certain topics more than others but overall i'd say i enjoyed it.

But the 3weeks i've been in sociology, i have been quite interested in the lessons and i have understood majority of the work being taught but idk if I'll enjoy it for 2years.

I just don't want to make the wrong choice
Reply 3
History is probably the most prestiged non-stem (along with law) subject there is, and would definitely keep your options open. Sociology isn't bad either though, and also keeps your options open, but if you're leaning towards something legal then History would be more beneficial. What's easier? Sociology, but if you're more interested in History you'll do better in it. It's not obnoxiously hard or anything, it's just very thorough and there's a lot of content.
Original post by turnt__
Hello, I've just started college a few weeks ago and I originally choose Law, Business and Sociology as the 3 A levels I'm going to study for the next 2 years. But now I'm having doubts about Sociology and whether I should study History instead since I still have some time to change them if I wish to do so. I did do History at GCSE and I got a B but I'm unsure about it as an A level because I'm told its sooooo much harder. I'm scared and I just want to do something I'll find quite easy, interesting and an A level which universities will appreciate. Also, I don't know what I want to study in the future but I'm leaning towards something to do with Law. However, I do want to keep my options open as much as possible cause I don't know what to do 100%.

I was considering history but did psychology instead, and I would recommend you look into psychology as it is also quite essay-based but is probably a less demanding compared to history.

With regards to sociology, from what I have observed from my friends, it is also much easier than history- however this will really depend on which you find more interesting so I would strongly suggest you skim read the textbooks for both.
Reply 5
Ive been told that psychology is a very hard subject also it based on science which im not good at neither am i interested.

And thats the thing, im not sure if i enjoy sociology since its only been around 3weeks since iv started the course however im more familiar with History which makes me think ill do better, eventhough i got told that the topics in Alevel History is completely different to GCSE History.
But yes i will look into reading text books and i was thinking of looking at past papers also to give like an idea fo the exams :smile:

Original post by Divergent4
I was considering history but did psychology instead, and I would recommend you look into psychology as it is also quite essay-based but is probably a less demanding compared to history.

With regards to sociology, from what I have observed from my friends, it is also much easier than history- however this will really depend on which you find more interesting so I would strongly suggest you skim read the textbooks for both.
Reply 6
WHat do you mean by most prestiged non- steam?
Also do you do History or Sociology as an Alevel?
Original post by Anonsama
History is probably the most prestiged non-stem (along with law) subject there is, and would definitely keep your options open. Sociology isn't bad either though, and also keeps your options open, but if you're leaning towards something legal then History would be more beneficial. What's easier? Sociology, but if you're more interested in History you'll do better in it. It's not obnoxiously hard or anything, it's just very thorough and there's a lot of content.
My favourite subject at gcse was history (A*) however, I only lasted one week at a level! The jump from gcse to a level really is very difficult but I suppose if the topics are something you are interested in, you will be more determined and hardworking. I really had no interest in learning about Ireland or the tudors so dropped the course immediately as I knew revision and all of the extra reading required would be hell for me! My advice would be to find out exactly what a level history at your school/college involves, what topics you will learn and how you will be assessed on them.

I switched a level history for sociology and I can honestly say it was the best decision I made regarding my options! Whilst it is still challenging it is soooo worth it and covers topics that are interesting and relevant to real life. I would 100% recommend a level sociology but obviously it depends on your interests and goals for the future.

Hope this helps, I am in my second year of a levels and changed my options 5 times (!!!) so feel free to ask any questions! Xx
Original post by turnt__
Ive been told that psychology is a very hard subject also it based on science which im not good at neither am i interested.

And thats the thing, im not sure if i enjoy sociology since its only been around 3weeks since iv started the course however im more familiar with History which makes me think ill do better, eventhough i got told that the topics in Alevel History is completely different to GCSE History.
But yes i will look into reading text books and i was thinking of looking at past papers also to give like an idea fo the exams :smile:

Yes, psychology does have quite a lot of science, but I don't think it is a particularly hard subject at all, but it is definitely different for everyone- it might just be that I find it easier compared to my other subjects lol.

I don't think you should worry about not being familiar with sociology because A levels are completely different to GCSEs anyway, so being more/less familiar will not make a huge difference to how well you do. But, how interesting you find a subject, can definitely affect how much you're willing to study for it.

It's also vey likely that you'll forget most of what you learnt for GCSE history and/or it won't be relevant to A level history anyway.
Reply 9
haha i have so many questions!
What history do you take modern or medievel??
Also how was you able to change your subjects so many times? Dont you have a time period where you get to change it within that?
Which exam board was your history and sociology?
Which subjects did you drop?
And right now im learning about culture and identity in sociology is that something you learnt?
Also, what does sociology allow you to do further such as in uni? And do unis perfer it?
Original post by Chanticesadiep
My favourite subject at gcse was history (A*) however, I only lasted one week at a level! The jump from gcse to a level really is very difficult but I suppose if the topics are something you are interested in, you will be more determined and hardworking. I really had no interest in learning about Ireland or the tudors so dropped the course immediately as I knew revision and all of the extra reading required would be hell for me! My advice would be to find out exactly what a level history at your school/college involves, what topics you will learn and how you will be assessed on them.

I switched a level history for sociology and I can honestly say it was the best decision I made regarding my options! Whilst it is still challenging it is soooo worth it and covers topics that are interesting and relevant to real life. I would 100% recommend a level sociology but obviously it depends on your interests and goals for the future.

Hope this helps, I am in my second year of a levels and changed my options 5 times (!!!) so feel free to ask any questions! Xx
Reply 10
Thats the thing, i found science diffcult at GCSE so i dont think id be so good at psychology.
I was thinking the same and im just not sure which i most interested in since its only been such a less time period since i started college.
Original post by Divergent4
Yes, psychology does have quite a lot of science, but I don't think it is a particularly hard subject at all, but it is definitely different for everyone- it might just be that I find it easier compared to my other subjects lol.

I don't think you should worry about not being familiar with sociology because A levels are completely different to GCSEs anyway, so being more/less familiar will not make a huge difference to how well you do. But, how interesting you find a subject, can definitely affect how much you're willing to study for it.

It's also vey likely that you'll forget most of what you learnt for GCSE history and/or it won't be relevant to A level history anyway.
You'd be better swapping Business for History, than Sociology, in all honesty.

They're suitable overall, given that they're on the whole academic, and Law has no subject requirements. The nature of History as a subject at A-level is closer to the style of Law at university in some respects I understand, so it's generally considered "better" preparation in that sense - purely from the point of view of doing well in the course once you accept your offer, and not necessarily in getting an offer initially.

To my knowledge there is very little overlap in GCSE History and A-level History in terms of syllabus, so it depends on how you liked the subject. However I also hear most prefer the A-level and find it more engaging (I've frequently heard GCSE History referred to as "Hitler studies") so you may find even that wouldn't necessarily make a difference.

However it's worth noting Business Studies isn't always considered suitably academic (it's under the "non-preferred" list at LSE, for example), whereas Law is usually considered suitable, although it's noted it doesn't convey any particular benefit beyond having a "taster" of the Law and Socio-Legal Studies to see if you want to commit to that. Economics is usually preferred to Business Studies, in general, and for Law is more appropriate due to the style of assessment.
Reply 12
i thought business would keep my options open since im not 100% with what i want to do still. Also i loved GCSE history when the topic was on Hitler so does that mean im less likely to enjoy alevel history?
Original post by artful_lounger
You'd be better swapping Business for History, than Sociology, in all honesty.

They're suitable overall, given that they're on the whole academic, and Law has no subject requirements. The nature of History as a subject at A-level is closer to the style of Law at university in some respects I understand, so it's generally considered "better" preparation in that sense - purely from the point of view of doing well in the course once you accept your offer, and not necessarily in getting an offer initially.

To my knowledge there is very little overlap in GCSE History and A-level History in terms of syllabus, so it depends on how you liked the subject. However I also hear most prefer the A-level and find it more engaging (I've frequently heard GCSE History referred to as "Hitler studies":wink: so you may find even that wouldn't necessarily make a difference.

However it's worth noting Business Studies isn't always considered suitably academic (it's under the "non-preferred" list at LSE, for example), whereas Law is usually considered suitable, although it's noted it doesn't convey any particular benefit beyond having a "taster" of the Law and Socio-Legal Studies to see if you want to commit to that. Economics is usually preferred to Business Studies, in general, and for Law is more appropriate due to the style of assessment.
Original post by turnt__

I would recommend you do history if you want to have a future with law
Original post by turnt__
i thought business would keep my options open since im not 100% with what i want to do still. Also i loved GCSE history when the topic was on Hitler so does that mean im less likely to enjoy alevel history?

Not necessarily - most syllabuses seem to have some content pertaining to the Soviet side of the second world war - but it is broader and more comparative than GCSE gets reported to be, which is frequently viewed as a negative for the latter.

Business Studies isn't required for entry to any degree course. If you're interested in pursuing a business/finance/accounting/etc degree potentially, Economics is usually considered more useful preparation. However either is theoretically acceptable, as long as you don't take the poison pill of the two in combination, which are not usually considered as two separate A-levels due to subject overlap.
Original post by turnt__
haha i have so many questions!
What history do you take modern or medievel??
Also how was you able to change your subjects so many times? Dont you have a time period where you get to change it within that?
Which exam board was your history and sociology?
Which subjects did you drop?
And right now im learning about culture and identity in sociology is that something you learnt?
Also, what does sociology allow you to do further such as in uni? And do unis perfer it?

In gcse I learnt about Germany, USA and Britain! They were modern which is why I think I found them so interesting and worked so hard at them. At a level my school teaches Ireland, Tudors and Germany but there is such a lot of content that I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up on topics that I didn't enjoy (which was all three haha!)

My original options were: Biology, Chemistry, Physics
Changed for: Biology, History, Physics
Changed for: Biology, Psychology, Physics
Changed for: Applied Science, Psychology, Physics
Changed for: Applied Science, Psychology, Sociology
(I realised I originally said I swapped history for sociology which I now see was incorrect but same applies - I prefer sociology so much more!)

Yes we had around 4 weeks to finalise which a levels we were going to do, however I was really struggling with a level physics (to the point where I was nearly in tears and copying everyone else's homework) so I told my head of sixth form and they said that if I promised to put 100% into sociology to catch up with 7 weeks missed work I would be allowed to do it! It was definitely worth it and I do not regret dropping history at all.

My a level sociology at the moment is exam board AQA which I believe history is aswell (not 100% sure). I have studied culture and identity as part of topics "education" and "religion" - they do not sound very appealing but are amazing when you learn the content! I would say sociology definitely opens up a lot of doors when considering going to uni; you could go into law, criminal justice, health services and much more! History is probably a more well regarded subject with uni as it is more difficult and holds a lot more content - this does not mean to say sociology is not worth doing or not respected by uni's!

Sorry this was very long-winded, hope this helps! Xx
sociology is the *****TTTTTEE! hella interesting and you make bare convos from it. It's a lot of work but so is every a level so I'd say soc.
I think History will be regarded with more favour by universities and perhaps even prospective employers.
Reply 18
no thankyou do much! i really needed someone who like went throught the two subjects and would give an honest opinion on them.
Original post by Chanticesadiep
In gcse I learnt about Germany, USA and Britain! They were modern which is why I think I found them so interesting and worked so hard at them. At a level my school teaches Ireland, Tudors and Germany but there is such a lot of content that I knew I wouldn't be able to keep up on topics that I didn't enjoy (which was all three haha!)

My original options were: Biology, Chemistry, Physics
Changed for: Biology, History, Physics
Changed for: Biology, Psychology, Physics
Changed for: Applied Science, Psychology, Physics
Changed for: Applied Science, Psychology, Sociology
(I realised I originally said I swapped history for sociology which I now see was incorrect but same applies - I prefer sociology so much more!)

Yes we had around 4 weeks to finalise which a levels we were going to do, however I was really struggling with a level physics (to the point where I was nearly in tears and copying everyone else's homework) so I told my head of sixth form and they said that if I promised to put 100% into sociology to catch up with 7 weeks missed work I would be allowed to do it! It was definitely worth it and I do not regret dropping history at all.

My a level sociology at the moment is exam board AQA which I believe history is aswell (not 100% sure). I have studied culture and identity as part of topics "education" and "religion" - they do not sound very appealing but are amazing when you learn the content! I would say sociology definitely opens up a lot of doors when considering going to uni; you could go into law, criminal justice, health services and much more! History is probably a more well regarded subject with uni as it is more difficult and holds a lot more content - this does not mean to say sociology is not worth doing or not respected by uni's!

Sorry this was very long-winded, hope this helps! Xx
Reply 19
do you happen to know where i could find out which alevels uni's perfer
Original post by barnetlad
I think History will be regarded with more favour by universities and perhaps even prospective employers.

Quick Reply

Latest