The Student Room Group

Geophysics without maths?

Is there any way I can do Geophysics without A-Level Maths? That and Geology seem like fields I may be interested in. At the moment I’m doing History, Geography and Physics
Geology might be accessible with that background. Usually most Earth Sciences courses (including both Geophysics and Geology) prefer, if not require, two science subjects - Maths is almost always a requirement for Geophysics, and is often preferred to my understanding for Geology. However if it's an area of interest, there are foundation years which would allow you to pursue either, although you'd probably be able to apply to some Geology courses with your options anyway so that's more relevant for Geophysics.

Southampton for example considers Geography as a second science for Geology applicants, and have routes for students without Maths A-level. They also have a Geophysics foundation year, although you'd end up repeating some Physics content on that. Leeds and Manchester also both offer both those courses (and they all offer others in that vein as well) with and without foundation, and have quite well regarded Geology/Earth Sciences departments and programmes.

I suppose to answer your question directly, the way to do it would be to apply to a Geophysics with Foundation Year course - you will then cover the relevant material in the first year ("year 0") and then progress into the programme as normal provided you achieve the stipulated standard for progression (which is true of every year of your degree technically, so not an unusual thing).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending