The Student Room Group

Science physics question

what is the difference between specific heat capacity and specific latent
explain the differences in density between the different states of matter in terms of the arrangement of atoms and molecules

thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by Harry.Y
what is the difference between specific heat capacity and specific latent
explain the differences in density between the different states of matter in terms of the arrangement of atoms and molecules

thanks!

Specific heat capacity is how much energy is required to raise the temperature of 1 kg of something by 1°C.
On the other hand, specific latent heat is defined as "the amount of energy per kg (unit mass) required to change ice to water without change in temperature."

For the second part, it's just basic kinetic theory, i.e. particles in solids are arranged in a regular lattice pattern and are densely packed together. Liquids are also densely packed together but are arranged randomly. Particles in gases are extremely spread out and also arranged randomly.
I'd recommend checking out BBC Bitesize or some similar website - I think they are quite helpful for topics like this!
Reply 2
Original post by cakeboi
Specific heat capacity is how much energy is required to raise the temperature of 1 kg of something by 1°C.
On the other hand, specific latent heat is defined as "the amount of energy per kg (unit mass) required to change ice to water without change in temperature."

For the second part, it's just basic kinetic theory, i.e. particles in solids are arranged in a regular lattice pattern and are densely packed together. Liquids are also densely packed together but are arranged randomly. Particles in gases are extremely spread out and also arranged randomly.
I'd recommend checking out BBC Bitesize or some similar website - I think they are quite helpful for topics like this!

Thank you very much for your help, really appreciated it!!!

Quick Reply

Latest