||TheUnknown||
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Bit of context: At GCSE, I got 8A*s and 2As. At AS Level, I took Maths, Further Maths, Physics and English Literature with the intention of pursuing Engineering at university. I started FM tjust over two weeks later than the rest of the class after switching from Economics - worst decision I ever made.

I realised that I didn't really like Maths much and I also constantly felt really behind everyone throughout the year as a result of starting the course later than everyone else. Plus, I had a lot of personal issues going on outside of school, and these factors together made me feel stressed constantly and also affected my attainment.

Anyway, I ended up getting an A (Maths) and a C (FM) in my AS exams. I dropped FM. My grade predictions are currently A*A*A (A in Physics). I've almost completed my personal statement but I am yet to prepare for the LNAT (I literally decided I want to study Law at the beginning of September so I haven't had much time to prepare.)

What do my prospects of actually getting an offer for Law at Oxford look like? And also could I be given advice on the LNAT?
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Further Maths is irrelevant to the study of Law, and you have the required 3 subjects for them to make an offer otherwise. There's no reason to suggest you're materially disadvantaged by that false start since you'll still be completing 3 A-levels in 2 years, and are predicted to achieve or exceed their standard offer.
||TheUnknown||
Rep:
?
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Further Maths is irrelevant to the study of Law, and you have the required 3 subjects for them to make an offer otherwise. There's no reason to suggest you're materially disadvantaged by that false start since you'll still be completing 3 A-levels in 2 years, and are predicted to achieve or exceed their standard offer.
Thank you, that is reasurring. (:

Also, I am aware that Oxford tend to base their offers mainly on LNAT performance and their interview. Could you possibly give me some advice for LNAT prep? I have literally have (less than) a month to do all my preparation.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
Thank you, that is reasurring. (:

Also, I am aware that Oxford tend to base their offers mainly on LNAT performance and their interview. Could you possibly give me some advice for LNAT prep? I have literally have (less than) a month to do all my preparation.
Unfortunately I don't know any specifics of the LNAT. I presume, as with most similar tests, it's not about specific knowledge and is focused on your general critical analysis abilities and your ability to then articulate your argument.

I'd suggest reviewing any materials provided on their website(s) about past/example papers and so on and otherwise reflecting on teacher feedback you've gotten on your English Lit essays.
||TheUnknown||
Rep:
?
Doonesbury Hi, I tagged you since you seem to be very informative on threads similar to mine. Could you give me any advice on the LNAT or point me in the direction of someone who could? Thank you!
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Doonesbury Hi, I tagged you since you seem to be very informative on thread similar to mine. Could you give me any advice on the LNAT or point me in the direction of someone who could? Thank you!
I'm no Law at Oxford expert... so I've moved your thread to the Oxford forum

Posted from TSR Mobile
mishieru07
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Doonesbury Hi, I tagged you since you seem to be very informative on threads similar to mine. Could you give me any advice on the LNAT or point me in the direction of someone who could? Thank you!
I did the LNAT years ago but I think this page provides comprehensive advice: http://www.lnat.ac.uk/how-to-prepare/hints-and-tips/

For the MCQ, I remember thinking that some of the answers are very close so you need to read carefully. Make sure you manage your time properly so that you don't end up rushing towards the end.

For the essay, I would say focus on being structured and logical. Signpost so that it's easy for your reader (e.g. I will argue that y proposition is correct for two reasons, a and b). Define terms and state assumptions if necessary (e.g. what are "traditional liberties" http://www.lnat.ac.uk/how-to-prepare/sample-essays/). Take time to plan your essay before you start writing. Leave enough time to proofread and make sure every word in your essay serves some sort of purpose.
||TheUnknown||
Rep:
?
(Original post by mishieru07)
I did the LNAT years ago but I think this page provides comprehensive advice: http://www.lnat.ac.uk/how-to-prepare/hints-and-tips/

For the MCQ, I remember thinking that some of the answers are very close so you need to read carefully. Make sure you manage your time properly so that you don't end up rushing towards the end.

For the essay, I would say focus on being structured and logical. Signpost so that it's easy for your reader (e.g. I will argue that y proposition is correct for two reasons, a and b). Define terms and state assumptions if necessary (e.g. what are "traditional liberties" http://www.lnat.ac.uk/how-to-prepare/sample-essays/). Take time to plan your essay before you start writing. Leave enough time to proofread and make sure every word in your essay serves some sort of purpose.
Thank you so much! I'm most nervous about the essay, fearing that I wont have enough time to form good arguments to put forward and I wont be able to write a comprehensive essay or even enough.
Estreth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thank you so much! I'm most nervous about the essay, fearing that I wont have enough time to form good arguments to put forward and I wont be able to write a comprehensive essay or even enough.
Don't worry about comprehensiveness of coverage! You've got 600 words (?) to show that you are capable of putting together a clear and cogent argument for a specific point of view. You are not expected to be able to cover every possible angle and you should not try to.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (554)
33.97%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (673)
41.26%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (330)
20.23%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (74)
4.54%

Watched Threads