Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Tory government Watch

Announcements

Does anyone think that this Tory government is crap, as they keep on making things difficult for the working class even middle class. This government is only good for the super rich.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Does anyone think that this Tory government is crap, as they keep on making things difficult for the working class even middle class. This government is only good for the super rich.
    No

ReputationRep:
    The main criticism I have of them is they are not socially conservative enough. Give me UKIP over the Tories every day of the week.

ReputationRep:
    They're mediocre. They're like that kid in school who gets B's and A's in his exams. While they haven't been great they're not terrible either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VirgoStrain)
    They're mediocre. They're like that kid in school who gets B's and A's in his exams. While they haven't been great they're not terrible either.
    Perhaps. But apart from tearing the country into pieces with the Brexit vote, just exactly what have they done since 2010 that has made our lives better?

When I think of Blair's Labour, I think of the massive expansion of education, equality rights for the disabled and minorities, making the BofE independent from government, the fact that you didn't see homeless people on the streets, etc etc. I can't think of anything like that that the Tories have achieved. Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    I think they're crap in that they have very little authority to be making any kind of major decisions because of their lack of support from the electorate. And they haven't really done anything particularly impactful domestically in quite a while, so whilst I wouldn't say they're necessarily making things significantly worse, I don't think they're making anything better by any stretch of the imagination.

ReputationRep:
    No

Whichever government happened to succeed the disastrous governments of BLiar and Brown was always destined to be unpopular. Brown pretty much bankrupted the country. We have to find some £50 billion every year just to stand still thanks to his out of control spending and financial mis-management.

Hence austerity continues and will continue for some years to come.

No point blaming the Tories. Labour did the damage and would do so again if they were to reach No 10. Thankfully a majority of experienced voters know that history and will steadfastly refuse to let the Loonies in power. The young electorate will learn as they go.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
    No

Whichever government happened to succeed the disastrous governments of BLiar and Brown was always destined to be unpopular. Brown pretty much bankrupted the country. We have to find some £50 billion every year just to stand still thanks to his out of control spending and financial mis-management.

No point blaming the Tories. Labour did the damage and would do so again if they were to reach No 10. Thankfully a majority of experienced voters know that history and will steadfastly refuse to let the Loonies in power. The young electorate will learn as they go.
    Lol, even in a thread about the Tories, you still manage to try and make it all about Labour.

Also, learn about the global financial crash, that's what nearly bankrupted us, not spending money on schools and hospitals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Lol, even in a thread about the Tories, you still manage to try and make it all about Labour.

Also, learn about the global financial crash, that's what nearly bankrupted us, not spending money on schools and hospitals.
    I’d argue that using pfi schemes to finance new schools and hospitals wasn’t the wisest move but yes, it wasn’t their spending that public finances in such a dire state. You won’t do much good trying to explain that to ol’ pilgrim though, he is a walking daily express comment section

ReputationRep:
    No they're doing okay, not great but okay.

Your vague generalisations about making things difficult for the working class and vice versa really piss me off but you're entitled to your opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I would say the majority of people in the UK feel that there are certain things the current government should change but they still see it as a better option than letting in a financially inept Labour government.

I know several people who run their own businesses, are not super rich, but earn a reasonable salary (say between £30000 and £50000). They all say they would never vote Labour again after Blair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)

The longer this Conservative administration is in office the more it is apparent that all they can do is make excuses and blame others. They have no ability to or interest in addressing challenges that face British people's lives, they just want to remain in office and all their strategising is totally focused around the politics, presentation and media handling needed to that.

In the US you hardly heard Obama moaning about the financial crisis and George W Bush ruining the country despite the fact he inherited the worst economic situation a President has come in to since the Great Depression era. He just got on with it. But over here the Conservatives are still banging on about the financial crisis happening on Labour's watch etc.

They haven't got a coherent approach to Brexit now and the business community is dead against the things they are proposing on migration and leaving the single market. There's a high risk this will end up in a major **** up with major disruption and huge additional costs imposed on UK business at exit, loads of international investment flooding out of the country and the Conservatives left in an embarassing situation that they have enacted the most anti-business policies from any government in living memory. At this point, they will be blaming everyone but themselves, the Opposition for opposing things, "remoaners", the civil service, the metropolitan elite.

Their supporters know that their party in government does not have the answer to any of society's problems so all they will do is rant about Labour or groups or get defensive about why they aren't doing anything about them.

- Unaffordable housing: "you don't have a God given right to buy a house?"
    - Train services deteriorating: "buy a car? move house closer to your job?"
    - Air quality deteriorating: "I don't believe the climate myth"
    - Long term decline in real wages: "because of mass immigration"
    - NHS underfunded and struggling to cope: "lazy doctors/nurses have it too easy / we shouldn't be afraid to take on the NHS, the 'sacred cow' of the left"
    - Intergenerational unfairness: "young people should get off instagram"

ReputationRep:
    Please explain yourself...? For what it's worth, the Conservatives did cut taxes across the board, liberalised regulations, increased funding to schools*, cut unemployment to its lowest level since '75, etc.
    *in spite of the unions complaining about government cuts, epitomised by the schoolcuts.org.uk website, operated by the two unions that now comprise the NEU

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dickwhittington)
    I’d argue that using pfi schemes to finance new schools and hospitals wasn’t the wisest move but yes, it wasn’t their spending that public finances in such a dire state.
    Again though the Tories are in no position to complain about PFI. It's the kind of thing they supported and still support.

The position who are in a position to complain about that are anyone in the Labour party who is not a fully signed up Progress member and if there is anyone who is most critical of the embrace of marketisation of public services it is the left of the labour party who are currently in charge.

If you are against this kind of thing you should be voting for the Labour party.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I do think they're crap. It's tough for me to envision any decent government given the current crop though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I quite liked the coalition and Cameron majority because they did a couple of good things in a harsh background environment (continued increases in the personal allowance, continued increases in the minimum wage, help to buy phase 1, 47% tax rate on high earners, a more Asian style approach to education, good deficit progress, engagements in Libya and Syria).

Sure they did a few bad things and their attitude to welfare and immigration did make me leave the party for 18 months or so in 2013 but on the round i strongly approved of the 2010-2016 government.

With May's government for the past 14 months i have mildly approved but that's mainly because it has done very little and made the right sounds on Brexit (since a lot of what government does is needless i'm not against zombie government with the royal prerogative for important stuff) but one cannot objectively say that it has done anything that was really good or bad.

Certainly though, they are far superior to any alternative on offer.

ReputationRep:
    This government is only good for the super rich.
    They aren't even good at that anymore with their self induced kamikaze Brexit lol

They are just **** all round now.

(Original post by Rakas21)

Sure they did a few bad things and their attitude to welfare
    In that Ian Duncan Smith was too generous and compassionate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PilgrimOfTruth)
    No

Brown might’ve bankrupted the treasury but you’re an absolute fool if you don’t realise just how well he handled the financial crisis, this country would actually be bankrupt (not just the treasury but a complete standstill of the economy) had he not taken the steps he did, you can bet that would’ve followed through to other countries I mean just look at the consequences of RBS crashing, something the tories would’ve let happen or acted too late on.

We’re 10 years on from the financial crisis, the reason we haven’t balanced the books is because the economy hasn’t been stimulated enough hence there’s less tax receipts coming in compared to spending under the TORIES, period.

Under John Majors 1997 manifesto and the direction or lack of direction the tories wanted, its inevitable this country wouldn’t have been prepared for the changes of the 21st century. The only things you could call Blair out for were fully backed by the Tories, at one point in 2007 Osbourne promised to fully match Labours Budget.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Perhaps. But apart from tearing the country into pieces with the Brexit vote, just exactly what have they done since 2010 that has made our lives better?

When I think of Blair's Labour, I think of the massive expansion of education, equality rights for the disabled and minorities, making the BofE independent from government, the fact that you didn't see homeless people on the streets, etc etc. I can't think of anything like that that the Tories have achieved. Any ideas?
    Equality Act 2010 was coalition, gay marriage, free school meals, pupil premium, increasing the amount of working class people going to university, increasing tax revenue by decreasing rates, cut in unemployment.

Meanwhile Corbyn says he wants out of the Single Market so he can wreck the economy free from EU state aid rules, leopards never change their spots eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Connor27)
    Equality Act 2010 was coalition, gay marriage, free school meals, pupil premium, increasing the amount of working class people going to university, increasing tax revenue by decreasing rates, cut in unemployment.
    Free school meals was a Lib Dem policy as was the university policies and increasing the tax threshold. In fact, thinking about it, most of the progressive policies that came out of the coalition were proposed and driven by the Lib Dems. All the Tories did was cut cut cut.

Can you remember the surprise Cameron got when he wrote to his local council to demand an explanation for all the cuts going on in his constituency?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.