The Student Room Group

University of Exeter medical school applicant

Hi! I'm hoping to apply for medicine but I scored below average on my UKCAT (622.5). I have 4A* and 6As at IGCSE/GCSE and my predictions right now are A*A*A. I'm hoping to bump that up to 3A*s and if I'm able to, I should have a pretty good chance of getting to interview right? My understanding is that Exeter only ranks on your UKCAT if there's competition for places (which obviously there will be with 2A* and an A), but considering they only really take your predictions into account, does 3A* predictions give me a good chance?

Thanks in advance!!
It should give you quite a good chance yes. Last year was a real shitshow though, people with grades like that got rejected (and people with worse grades got interviews) and nobody knew why. So you never know I guess.

Good luck!

Edit: fyi in case you haven't heard, they give an advantage to people with achieved grades so predicted 3A*s would put you in the same category as achieved A*A*A.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Yea I saw that and I got my grade changed so hopefully I have a good chance! Thank you!
Original post by iramh_
Hi! I'm hoping to apply for medicine but I scored below average on my UKCAT (622.5). I have 4A* and 6As at IGCSE/GCSE and my predictions right now are A*A*A. I'm hoping to bump that up to 3A*s and if I'm able to, I should have a pretty good chance of getting to interview right? My understanding is that Exeter only ranks on your UKCAT if there's competition for places (which obviously there will be with 2A* and an A), but considering they only really take your predictions into account, does 3A* predictions give me a good chance?

Thanks in advance!!

Last year the cutoff for interview was tier 2 (A*A*A* prediction/A*A*A achieved) with a UKCAT of 667. Therefore judging by last years you be unlikely to get an interview, however it all depends on the quality of applications they receive.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending