Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone I was wondering if you could help me. When I was younger I did a degree in Writing as this was something I was interested in. However, as time has gone on I realise this job role isn't something that suits my personality, as I get frustrated sitting behind a computer all day and I prefer to interact with people. I've been thinking about changing my career to nursing. But, I'm not sure what opportunities there are for someone with an irrelevant degree and I was wondering if there were any? I don't mind going back to University and I'm a very hard worker. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cappers)
    Hi everyone I was wondering if you could help me. When I was younger I did a degree in Writing as this was something I was interested in. However, as time has gone on I realise this job role isn't something that suits my personality, as I get frustrated sitting behind a computer all day and I prefer to interact with people. I've been thinking about changing my career to nursing. But, I'm not sure what opportunities there are for someone with an irrelevant degree and I was wondering if there were any? I don't mind going back to University and I'm a very hard worker. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thank you
    In order to do a nursing degree, you would need to meet the minimum entry requirements. Most universities ask for recent study (this could be 3, 5 or 10 years depending on the university). Your previous degree is likely to be considered recent study if it was done within these timeframes but it is always worth checking with the university. You would still need to meet the other criteria for A Levels etc.

If you do not have the basic entry requirements, the course of action you would probably need to take is to do an access to nursing course at college and then apply to university. This takes 1 year to 18 months to complete if you do it full time and would bring your knowledge up to the required standard.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Charlotte,

Thanks for answering the question. You've been a great help.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Cappers,

I graduated in 2013 with a degree in English. I enjoyed studying English at the time, but had no real career plans in that field. I worked for a few years in non-substantial jobs, but I always felt I was interested in pursuing Nursing. I didn't have any experience in Healthcare, but had a degree and A-Levels (the only one relevant was Psychology). I looked into applying to study, and although I did have the qualifications, I just didn't have the work experience. To gain the experience, I worked as a Healthcare Assistant for the NHS, and within a year accepted a place at University. I'm now in my 3rd year and do not regret making the transition to nursing. Before I made the first steps to changing my career, I was nervous I would be poorly judged for not going into nursing at 18, but the great thing about nursing is that we are all from diverse backgrounds, and the life experience I gained from my previous degree and working life has actually equipped me with a range of skills that are transferable such as good communication and time management.

My advice to you is that it can be done! But there is no easy route I'm afraid. If your qualifications are recent, you could do what I did and get yourself a job (or even voluntary work) as a healthcare assistant or a carer. This way you can test whether you do actually want to work as a nurse. It's not glamorous and requires dedication and commitment. The 'idea' of nursing and the reality can be worlds apart. Or as mentioned above, there are a range of access courses available that can help you build your knowledge. A few of my friends in this cohort studied the access course at a local college, and their ages range from 20-45, all with different prior life experience.

Best of luck and I hope you continue your nursing journey!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, that makes me feel so much better. I was very worried I may have left it too late. But your words have made me feel so much better. I will keep going.

Thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.