Do you think it's possible to write an EPQ about unethical farming? Watch

E05
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm doing an EPQ and one subject that sticks to me most is unethical farming, but I don't know if I can write a lot about it because most of if would be just describing the conditions of the animals and I don't know what else to write about.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by E05)
I'm doing an EPQ and one subject that sticks to me most is unethical farming, but I don't know if I can write a lot about it because most of if would be just describing the conditions of the animals and I don't know what else to write about.
Yes, but you need to expand the idea. I take it that its relevant to your course?

Whats the definition of ethical farming? there seems o be a lot about factory farming?

Why not look into aspects of farming that are unethical or counterproductive but its tolerated. It might be nationally or international farming methods.

You could question why they do it and why they think its worth the risk and why isnt it stopped?
Is ethical farming an alternative? can it make more money?
It needs t be more than one sided i.e you just disagree and should go deeper to an objective analysis. Who determines whats ethical?

What can , will or should be done?

Maybe do ethics have a role to play in farming and is there a limit?
You need to be able to see both sides.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...hical-question
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-deforestation
http://philosophy.talons43.ca/2015/0...e-were-making/
E05
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Yes, but you need to expand the idea. I take it that its relevant to your course?

Whats the definition of ethical farming? there seems o be a lot about factory farming?

Why not look into aspects of farming that are unethical or counterproductive but its tolerated. It might be nationally or international farming methods.

You could question why they do it and why they think its worth the risk and why isnt it stopped?
It needs t be more than one sided i.e you just disagree and should go deeper to an objective analysis. Who determines whats ethical?

What can , will or should be done?

Maybe do ethics have a role to play in farming and is there a limit?
You need to be able to see both sides.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...hical-question
https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-deforestation
http://philosophy.talons43.ca/2015/0...e-were-making/
Thank you very much!!
Sweetpeasw
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by E05)
Yes, I think that is possible. In fact I was originally going to write about speciesism and the cruelty within agriculture, but then changed my project to rehabilitating a dangerous dog, simply because I left it too late to do the research. If I was you, I would find the arguments for and against... try and get some evidince, e.g. visit a farm or something...

My IRP for German is cruelty within the egg industry... hope this helps!
Bambi1211
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yes, it is certainly possible! But also remember, it has to be something you know you can write a lot about and can explain why you chose this. Also try not to be biased while answering your question, you should look at it from both sides. As long as you use relevant links etc I think you'll be fine!!
E05
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sweetpeasw)
Yes, I think that is possible. In fact I was originally going to write about speciesism and the cruelty within agriculture, but then changed my project to rehabilitating a dangerous dog, simply because I left it too late to do the research. If I was you, I would find the arguments for and against... try and get some evidince, e.g. visit a farm or something...

Thank you very much!!
E05
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bambi1211)
Yes, it is certainly possible! But also remember, it has to be something you know you can write a lot about and can explain why you chose this. Also try not to be biased while answering your question, you should look at it from both sides. As long as you use relevant links etc I think you'll be fine!!
Thank you!!!
ICB
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
I think that's true - it can't be one sided. Given that, you shouldn't choose a question like why do they do it - one to think about might be "is it possible the sustain an ethical farming business in britain today" or something like that. If it's more specific, you won't be criticised for failing to mention the past / other area etc.

Remember the EPQ must be research based, and ethical is a pretty emotive word IMO. I reckon you'd have to outline what you think is ethical / what society thinks is ethical
E05
Rep:
?
Quick question what does IRP stand for, just curious.

Sweetpeasw
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by E05)
Quick question what does IRP stand for, just curious.
individual research project, it's part of the oral, you have to do a 2 minute presentation and a 9 minutes q and a on your research
E05
Rep:
?
individual research project, it's part of the oral, you have to do a 2 minute presentation and a 9 minutes q and a on your research
Thanks, damn I forgot about the presentation.
Sweetpeasw
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by E05)
Thanks, damn I forgot about the presentation.
for epq or languages 😂😂
Beth_H
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You'd probably need to pick a specific area to look at - 'unethical farming' is too broad for a 5000 word essay. For example, you could look at the effects of the overuse of antibiotics on farmed animals, comparing outcomes for animals and consumers in countries where antibiotics are routinely used in agriculture to countries like the Netherlands, where antibiotic use is very low. Whatever you choose, you need to be able to evaluate the situation academically, not just describe it (for example, with the antibiotics issue, you might pick a question like 'To what extent does the reduction of antibiotic use in agriculture impact the health of animals and consumers?', or 'To what extent can the overuse of antibiotics in agriculture be eliminated in the UK?', where you could assess whether the UK can realistically adopt a system like the one in the Netherlands, given the scale of farming in both countries and the different diseases which the animals might be susceptible to). An essay which centres around describing the conditions of animals would be unlikely to get a good mark.

Alternatively, you could make your question about public attitudes to unethical farming, with a survey asking consumers what they define as ethical, what kind of conditions they would be willing to tolerate animals being farmed in, what changes they would like to see and whether they feel these changes are realistic. However, with that, there is a risk that you would just be describing people's opinions, rather than analysing them and drawing an original conclusion.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

Why do you want to do a masters?

Great for my career (13)
40.63%
I really love the subject (10)
31.25%