Kimmich
    Mbappe Messi Thiago Asensio
    Jesus Neymar

ReputationRep:
    Robertson and bellerin loooooooool

ReputationRep:
    Too good for Chelsea that's for sure

ReputationRep:
    If you're going to put the likes of Robertson and Bellerin might as well include proper legends like Bendtner and Park Chuyoung

ReputationRep:
    Pointless, there'll be players not known now and maybe not even in their first teams yet who could be among the best in the world in five years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Pointless, there'll be players not known now and maybe not even in their first teams yet who could be among the best in the world in five years.
    Unlikely. How many of the current world XI were completely unheard of 5 years ago?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    Unlikely. How many of the current world XI were completely unheard of 5 years ago?
    Depends what you mean by completely unheard of and who the current world XI is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Depends what you mean by completely unheard of and who the current world XI is.
    UEFA 2016 team of the year (just a public vote, nothing special) was as follows

Buffon
    Boateng Pique Ramos Bonucci
    Kroos Modric Iniesta Messi
    Ronaldo Griezmann

I am fairly confident I would have known who all have those guys were 5 years ago apart from Boateng. Griezmann was still at Sociedad so he probably wasn't that well known amongst most football fans.

I think for the most part whoever is in the 2022 version of this team will be very much on the radar now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)

Buffon
    Ronaldo Griezmann

I am fairly confident I would have known who all have those guys were 5 years ago apart from Boateng. Griezmann was still at Sociedad so he probably wasn't that well known amongst most football fans.

I think for the most part whoever is in the 2022 version of this team will be very much on the radar now.
    In 2011 boateng had just moved to bayern as well. Griezmann was pretty promising at sociedad as well.

ReputationRep:
    De Gea
    Carvajal Varane Marquinhos Mendy
    Pogba Thiago Isco
    Neymar Mbappe Hazard

ReputationRep:

Buffon
    Ronaldo Griezmann

For the most part. Didn't say every player would be an unknown. Five years before they made the UEFA TOTY, Pogba hadn't made an appearance for his first team, Reus was in the German second division and I wouldn't say Ozil was well known either, had only just broke into Schalke's team.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IamJacksContempt)
    "Completely unheard of" is an exaggeration - Paul Pogba & possibly Falcao are the only examples from recent years who fit that timescale.

There will always be 1 or 2 included who have a sudden rise to the top. I mean from the current World XI, 5 years before it was announced Suarez was an average forward at Liverpool & Modric was at Spurs. De Gea is now widely viewed as the best GK in the world & will probably make the team this year, but 5 years ago he was a joke figure.

I am fairly confident I would have known who all have those guys were 5 years ago apart from Boateng
    He played for Manchester City then! Luckily they couldn't keep hold of him

ReputationRep:

Sczcesny
    Bellerin Holding Chambers Gibbs
    Maitland-Niles Wilshere
    Nelson Ramsey Iwobi
    Welbeck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.