Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Community Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Representatives from both Oxford and Cambridge will be on TSR from 3-5pmTuesday 3rd of Octoberanswering all your Oxbridge questions.

Submit your questions now to get advice from the experts!

Name:  Oxbridge-social-222QA-social-image.png
Views: 136
Size:  204.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if I've misunderstood - I click the link to submit a question and it doesn't seem to work for me. Do we ask questions by replying to this thread? I'm a prospective postgrad applicant (PhD/DPhil) - will there be a section dedicated to postgrad admissions as well?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ek95jcc)
    Not sure if I've misunderstood - I click the link to submit a question and it doesn't seem to work for me. Do we ask questions by replying to this thread? I'm a prospective postgrad applicant (PhD/DPhil) - will there be a section dedicated to postgrad admissions as well?
    What comes up on your screen when you click on it? Have you clicked start new discussion?
    Maybe try clicking this

You can post postgrad questions to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danny Dorito)
    Representatives from both Oxford and Cambridge will be on TSR from 3-5pmTuesday 3rd of Octoberanswering all your Oxbridge questions.

Submit your questions now to get advice from the experts!

Name:  Oxbridge-social-222QA-social-image.png
Views: 136
Size:  204.3 KB
    Don't both universities take the view that college choice is purely down to personal preference?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    Don't both universities take the view that college choice is purely down to personal preference?
    Yep - however it's a FAQ

ReputationRep:
    The day this is on is my birthday

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Oxford and have to take the TSA test. I have done past papers for it, but I don't understand how to calculate the overall TSA score out of 100.

ReputationRep:
    Are we supposed to ask questions in this thread, or just in the Oxbridge Q&A subforum in general?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carbon Dioxide)
    Are we supposed to ask questions in this thread, or just in the Oxbridge Q&A subforum in general?
    The subforum would be best

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacksgap)
    Hi Oxford admissions,

Do you take into account if a postgraduate applicant is from a low ranking university?

What do you really look for in a postgraduate applicant, do you use weighting systems?

For example, 50% is being assessed from references and 25% personal statement and 25 from motivation etc, etc?

If a course has fewer applications than the number of available places would you assess their applications rigorously as an oversubscribed course?

Thank you so much for your help!
    I want to know this too

ReputationRep:
    When I click Submit Question it takes me to create a new thread do I make a new thread for my question can someone just link the actual place were supposed to write the question??
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Popsiclez)
    When I click Submit Question it takes me to create a new thread do I make a new thread for my question can someone just link the actual place were supposed to write the question??
    A new thread in this subforum . :yy:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    will low bmat scores prevent me from going to Cambridge 3.1 and 2.6 3.5A even though i am predicted 2 Astars and A

ReputationRep:
    I got 8s in Maths and English language plus a 7 in English literature. I got A*s in Physics, Geography and Business Studies. Furthermore, I got As in Chemistry, Biology and Citizenship and a C in German. My school during GCSEs was rated "inadequate" by ofsted. I am currently studying Maths, Biology and Chemistry at a new school.

I want to study Economics or Medicine at oxbridge, Lets say I do well at A level, coupled with my GCSEs, what are my chances of getting into oxbridge?

ReputationRep:
    What comes up on your screen when you click on it? Have you clicked start new discussion?
    Maybe try clicking this

I'm not quite sure what wasn't working now - it took me to a totally different page but it looks like your link is finished now!

My question is regarding postgraduate applications for a PhD. With the various different College scholarships on offer it is a bit overwhelming - and I'm not sure how best to approach it. Is there a box you can tick which shows you are happy for a College choice to be overruled should you get funding at another College? Or is it better to put in an open application in this case?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I'm not quite sure what wasn't working now - it took me to a totally different page but it looks like your link is finished now!

My question is regarding postgraduate applications for a PhD. With the various different College scholarships on offer it is a bit overwhelming - and I'm not sure how best to approach it. Is there a box you can tick which shows you are happy for a College choice to be overruled should you get funding at another College? Or is it better to put in an open application in this case?
    You can also ask in here (postgrad applicant threads):
    Cambridge: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4839450
    Oxford: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4839452
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bianca15)
    Cambridge admissions
    I applied for this shadowing scheme early last month, what are my chances of getting in? When will they get back to me to tell me if I was successful or not? I am currently in my second year at A levels, I would like to study medicine, Which college has the highest intake for medical students each year? Does the University take into account UCAS points at GCSE'S or the actual number of A*,A or B's for my course. Do you have a copy of what an SAQ looks like or can you tell me what the content is like? Any advice on how to prepare for Interviews especially for medicine at Oxbridge,any resources I can prepare with? Layout of Interview questions? How can I make my personal statement stand out? Is there wifi? Cost of accommodation same in all colleges? The cheapest accommodation? Ensuite prices? Clubs and societies costs?
    "In your second year of A-levels"? Are you only planning on applying to Cambridge after you finish your A-levels? Most applicants apply in Y13 with predicted grades (i.e. now...).

GCSEs don't have UCAS points, and Cambridge doesn't make offers based on points anyway.

The SAQ guidance is here:
    https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/saq

Cauis has the most medics.
    http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.a...ply/statistics

ReputationRep:
    Hi Oxbridge,

I know that GCSE Data is contextualised for studying Medicne in Oxford, but I'm not sure how this works exactly?
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hello all!

Thanks so much for taking the time out to ask us your questions - and thanks, too, to the legends at TSR for arranging this ( Danny Dorito )

We're sorry we didn't have enough time to answer them all but we do have a thread running here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=4103109

Please feel free to drop by and post a question #strictnoquestionissillypolicy

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I'm a prospective postgrad applicant (PhD/DPhil) - will there be a section dedicated to postgrad admissions as well?
    Postgrad questions would be best in TSR's Postgraduate Applications forum

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.