The Student Room Group

need some advice about 1 A level which seems to be a bit of a "bad egg"

I need some advice on what to do as I have sat 3 A levels which were history, maths and general studies my grades were BAA* (i have got into uni btw) but im not sure what to do as a lot of people have been telling me my general studies A level will count against me when i go to jobs and be seen in a negative light regardless of the grade i got for it many have also told me that i basically have 2 A levels as general studies cant really be counted as a A level but not sure if this is true or not

My question is do retake a A level while at the first year or uni or do i stick with the A levels i have and forget about them as ill be doing law at uni so i know after uni some firms do look at A levels

Scroll to see replies

If you got into uni, clearly it counts as an A Level. Employers will care more about your degree anyways.
I second the above post. Yes, at A-Level, General Studies is looked down upon. But, the fact you've made it to University with it, renders that prior point rather irrelevant now.
Reply 3
Original post by AnIndianGuy
If you got into uni, clearly it counts as an A Level. Employers will care more about your degree anyways.

yeah that was my reply to them and i got into a very highly regarded uni with my A levels
just was unsure about whether i should retake a A level in its place or not while at first year of uni
Original post by harry7788
yeah that was my reply to them and i got into a very highly regarded uni with my A levels
just was unsure about whether i should retake a A level in its place or not while at first year of uni

Honestly it'll be too difficult especially with how much time Law will consume at uni. You're better off smashing your uni modules
Reply 5
Original post by _alexhowell
I second the above post. Yes, at A-Level, General Studies is looked down upon. But, the fact you've made it to University with it, renders that prior point rather irrelevant now.

yeah i made it to my firm choice uni which is a very highly regarded uni for law and you say general studies is looked upon would this suggest having a general studies would count against me going into a career with law then as i know some firms do look at A levels
I need some advice on what to do as I have sat 3 A levels which were history, maths and general studies my grades were BAA* (i have got into uni btw) but im not sure what to do as a lot of people have been telling me my general studies A level will count against me when i go to jobs and be seen in a negative light regardless of the grade i got for it many have also told me that i basically have 2 A levels as general studies cant really be counted as a A level but not sure if this is true or not

My question is do retake a A level while at the first year or uni or do i stick with the A levels i have and forget about them as ill be doing law at uni so i know after uni some firms do look at A levels

Tricky one. Imo you should focus on your degree and get the best grade possible. An A level on top of current workload could jeopardise that.

As for general studies. Most unis will not accept it, although yours did. the reason being you only put a tiny fraction of the work in as compared to another A level. I think its correct to view it in that context.

I would regard it as 2 A levels and general studies.

If you get a good degree then they will be far more interested in the class.
If they require UCAS points, then they may or may not accept GS as part of that and you can then choose whether to take another one. You could always revise during the summer holidays when not at uni and teach yourself one part time, to be taken when you are ready in 2, 3 years time? Its possible to do it now, but personally i wouldnt jeopardise uni and it may not matter in any event.
yeah i made it to my firm choice uni which is a very highly regarded uni for law and you say general studies is looked upon would this suggest having a general studies would count against me going into a career with law then as i know some firms do look at A levels

I say this myself as someone who got an A* in General Studies this summer gone, although alongside three other A Levels and I also won't be studying Law.

But, if you achieve a 2:1 at University, I think that will work more in your favour at getting employment at a top Law firm. More so, than if you did Physics/Geography [insert any A-Level subject] rather than General Studies.
If you've got into uni with it then it's fine, so long as you actually do well at uni.
Reply 9
Original post by 999tigger
Tricky one. Imo you should focus on your degree and get the best grade possible. An A level on top of current workload could jeopardise that.

As for general studies. Most unis will not accept it, although yours did. the reason being you only put a tiny fraction of the work in as compared to another A level. I think its correct to view it in that context.

If they require UCAS points, then they may or may not accept GS as part of that and you can then choose whether to take another one. You could always revise during the summer holidays when not at uni and teach yourself one part time, to be taken when you are ready in 2, 3 years time? Its possible to do it now, but personally i wouldnt jeopardise uni and it may not matter in any event.

yeah i know what you mean as i know uni work first year can he a shock at how much we have to do and that is exactly what others have said that they regard my A levels as 2 A levels and general studies as i know many firms would want A levels of ABB as a minnium i believe but i doubt many would accept general studies but i know what you mean i may just leave my A level grades untill it comes to when i really need another A level
Reply 10
Original post by _alexhowell
I say this myself as someone who got an A* in General Studies this summer gone, although alongside three other A Levels and I also won't be studying Law.

But, if you achieve a 2:1 at University, I think that will work more in your favour at getting employment at a top Law firm. More so, than if you did Physics/Geography [insert any A-Level subject] rather than General Studies.

yeah i may just leave my A levels as they are and try and get a first or a 2:1 from uni
Reply 11
Original post by Retired_Messiah
If you've got into uni with it then it's fine, so long as you actually do well at uni.

yeah i initallly asked this as i know many law firms ask for ABB at A level so wasnt sure it having an A* in general studies would count against me as many dont regard it as a A level

Am i right in saying that an A level in general studies would be disregarded by every top law firm ?
yeah i initallly asked this as i know many law firms ask for ABB at A level so wasnt sure it having an A* in general studies would count against me as many dont regard it as a A level

Focus on your degree. Its not harsh people consider it questionable as an A level because you dont put the same work in. You must have known that. deal with the rest later.
Reply 14

Thoughts @J-SP ? (Also see the OP :smile: )
Reply 15

I think the question here is how you managed to get into a 'top uni' with only 2 A levels.

Nearly all 'top unis' clearly state that 'General Studies' is not accepted, so good on you for getting in?
Reply 16
Focus on your degree. Its not harsh people consider it questionable as an A level because you dont put the same work in. You must have known that. deal with the rest later.

i going to be honest and say that initally i thought that general studies was a A level and i genuinly thought it was a A level but when people started telling me stuff about it once i had got the mark i wasnt sure whether to believe them or not
Reply 17
Original post by J-SP
General studies doesn't count for the vast majority of any graduate schemes that have an A-level grade requirement, and especially law.

They will typically look for three full A-levels taken in the same year, excluding general studies.

But many schemes do not have A-level requirements, including some law firms/legal graduate programmes.

initally i thought GS was a A level thats why i was slighly confused when people started telling me stuff like it was a A level and would you sugguest then just not worrying about it for the time being start worrying about it when ive finished uni or in my last year and thinking about what grad scheme im wanting to do
Reply 18
Original post by dmahg
I think the question here is how you managed to get into a 'top uni' with only 2 A levels.

Nearly all 'top unis' clearly state that 'General Studies' is not accepted, so good on you for getting in?

some do make exceptions some would state they dont usually take general studies however some unis would have the exception in some circumstances probably down to my personal statement and interviews i had with that uni
Reply 19
Original post by J-SP
It is an A-level - it is just exceptionally rare for both universities or employers to consider it as an important one, mainly where it is typically taken with 3 other subjects, which are then prioritised.

I wouldn't worry about it now, it is what it is and I don't think there is an immediate benefit of taking an additional a-level now. Plus it could have a determinate affect on your degree. Best thing to do is focus on getting good grades in your degree so that firms worry far less about it and focus on your degree/module results.

yeah i know what you mean now and yeah at the end of the day ill hopefully get a first in law then i will deal with it when it presents a problem as you said i will focus on my degree and hopefully it wont present a big a problem as people are making it out to be and if it does present a problem i could always do what 999tigger stated i should do

Quick Reply

Latest