The Student Room Group

Criminology >> criminal law

Can i get into criminal law with BA criminology or do i have to do a law diploma?
So far I feel like my options are limited with BA criminology
Original post by choco_monsterxo
Can i get into criminal law with BA criminology or do i have to do a law diploma?
So far I feel like my options are limited with BA criminology

Depends what you mean by getting into criminal law?

As a solicitor? No. Not without further exams. GDL followed by LPC.

You could get a job that might be involved in the criminal justice system.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/criminology
Original post by 999tigger
Depends what you mean by getting into criminal law?

As a solicitor? No. Not without further exams. GDL followed by LPC.

You could get a job that might be involved in the criminal justice system.

https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/criminology

Yeah solicitor
GDL followed by LPC would mean an additional two yrs after completion of BA criminology right?
Do u think its worth just changing and doing joint honours in crim & law then?
As with anyone with a non-Law degree you can do a 'Law conversion' course once you graduate. Info : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/law-sector/law-conversion-courses Highly regarded route into Law as you bring all of the experience/skills/knowledge of your first degree with you. Yours is a relevant degree so will definitely be an asset to a career in Law.

If at the end of your Crim degree you decide not to do Law, Criminology is a useful degree as it could lead you into a hundred different career pathways, and as a social science degree will be valued by mainstream employers for its 'higher thinking', analytical, and research/writing skills. If you can do any work placements or study abroad etc within your degree, do it. The more extra-stuff you have to put on your CV the better - whatever career you decide on.
Yeah solicitor
GDL followed by LPC would mean an additional two yrs after completion of BA criminology right?

1. You would get some discount for the GDL. For the criminal part.
2.If you want to be a solicitor , then yes or do law with criminology. that might get you out of the GDL completely.

If it isnt LLB (ie. a qualifying Law degree) it isnt worth doing. Stick with Crim and do the postgrad courses mentioned above.
Original post by returnmigrant
If it isnt LLB (ie. a qualifying Law degree) it isnt worth doing. Stick with Crim and do the postgrad courses mentioned above.

Agree with your point, but OP should be aware that there are BA degrees which are qualifying law degrees. LLB is just a useful tag some unis use.

Im thinkin of changing courses and doing crim&law as a joint degree
As with anyone with a non-Law degree you can do a 'Law conversion' course once you graduate. Info : https://www.prospects.ac.uk/jobs-and-work-experience/job-sectors/law-sector/law-conversion-courses Highly regarded route into Law as you bring all of the experience/skills/knowledge of your first degree with you. Yours is a relevant degree so will definitely be an asset to a career in Law.

If at the end of your Crim degree you decide not to do Law, Criminology is a useful degree as it could lead you into a hundred different career pathways, and as a social science degree will be valued by mainstream employers for its 'higher thinking', analytical, and research/writing skills. If you can do any work placements or study abroad etc within your degree, do it. The more extra-stuff you have to put on your CV the better - whatever career you decide on.

What if i change my course to joint honours crim&law?

CHECK that it is a 'qualifying Law degree' first. Some joint subject degrees are, some are not. Unless it is it wont allow you to practice Law.

Unless you have read substantial criminology text, which you might have done, I am not sure I would commit to criminology just yet. Plenty of people go into a straight law degree thinking they're absolutely enamoured by criminal justice, and after a year only care about contract and commercial law.

If you're sure, you're sure. But if you're not, it's something to think about.
Original post by Notoriety
Unless you have read substantial criminology text, which you might have done, I am not sure I would commit to criminology just yet. Plenty of people go into a straight law degree thinking they're absolutely enamoured by criminal justice, and after a year only care about contract and commercial law.

If you're sure, you're sure. But if you're not, it's something to think about.

I submit that it is very difficult to be 'sure' at the average uni student's age. Me neighbour is in law enforcement here in Virginia, and both his in-laws are corrections officers in a Federal prison halfway across the country. His wife is a registered nurse, but the other three have all been assaulted and attacked at one time or another. The mother-in-law was stabbed once, and nearly didnt survive. Her assailant was already in on a "LWOP" [life without parole] - so nothing could be done to increase that sentence. He basically got to attack her for free. I'm in electrical engineering, and "do" satellite communications. That is more sedate. Best of luck!!
Reply 12
Hi, I’m new here and I just needed some help with my assignment. If someone can help me with what the similarities between Induvidual positivism and Sociological positivism are? I have the differences I just can’t find what the similarities are.

Quick Reply

Latest