The Student Room Group

Pregnant student

I'm studying adult nursing and completed year 1, I then took 2 years out of studying due to family issues. I have since returned to commence year 2. However, I have found out I'm pregnant. I would need to take some time off in May 2018 when the baby is born. My question is, I understand we have a time limit in which to complete the degree, I technically have already 'used' 3 years, that being year 1 and the 2 years break. The baby would be born before I could complete year 2, is there any special conditions,such as maternity in where students can be given more time to complete the degree. I'm really panicking now as I don't want to throw away all my hard work. Thank you
Reply 1
Anyone... xx
Original post by Sholaika
I'm studying adult nursing and completed year 1, I then took 2 years out of studying due to family issues. I have since returned to commence year 2. However, I have found out I'm pregnant. I would need to take some time off in May 2018 when the baby is born. My question is, I understand we have a time limit in which to complete the degree, I technically have already 'used' 3 years, that being year 1 and the 2 years break. The baby would be born before I could complete year 2, is there any special conditions,such as maternity in where students can be given more time to complete the degree. I'm really panicking now as I don't want to throw away all my hard work. Thank you

Aww, I'm sorry you haven't gotten any replies :frown:
I don't really know anything about it but I thought the least I could do was wish you an easy pregnancy :jumphug:
Reply 3
Thanks so much xxx I may just call university haha
Reply 4
Original post by Sholaika

Hi
I think it may depend on the university. The University of York, for example seems to allow a total of 4 years leave of absence meaning a 3 year degree must be completed in 7 years:

https://www.york.ac.uk/students/studying/manage/plan/taught/loa-taught/#tab-2

Contact your university as soon as you can to put your mind at rest. I think it would be very difficult for them not to be supportive of a pregnant student.

Congratulations on the pregnancy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending