The Student Room Group

Uni help! 2 a levels, 1 as and an epq

Hey so I'm in year 13, I took maths, sociology and politics A levels and doing EPQ. I failed maths so I'm retaking it only as an AS as I wasn't allowed into A2.

I'm predicted an A or above in Sociology and Politics. An A or A* in EPQ (which is about KKK and ISIS). I'm predicted a B for maths.

I want to study politics and sociology and made my EPQ topic relating to media portrays of extremists so it links to politics/sociology. I wanted to go to top universities but I've lost hope now that I'm not doing 3 A Levels.

Can I still get into Uni? Can I get into top ones? If I go by Tariff points is there any universities that does politics and sociology? How can I check?

I am also very involved in school (year and school council and fundraiser). As well as outside of school (LSE summer school, Oxford Easter school, university of reading summer school, 6 months work experiences at Marie Curie charity, 2 weeks work experiences at Westminster magistrates court) etc.

This maths grade is the ONLY thing pulling me down! I'm also part of a programme called RO and so as a perk I can get entry requirements one grade down for Russel group universities however I don't even know if Russel group universities will accept me :frown:

Please help me fellow friends x
Original post by Esra.gungorr
Hey so I'm in year 13, I took maths, sociology and politics A levels and doing EPQ. I failed maths so I'm retaking it only as an AS as I wasn't allowed into A2.

I'm predicted an A or above in Sociology and Politics. An A or A* in EPQ (which is about KKK and ISIS). I'm predicted a B for maths.

I want to study politics and sociology and made my EPQ topic relating to media portrays of extremists so it links to politics/sociology. I wanted to go to top universities but I've lost hope now that I'm not doing 3 A Levels.

Can I still get into Uni? Can I get into top ones? If I go by Tariff points is there any universities that does politics and sociology? How can I check?

I am also very involved in school (year and school council and fundraiser). As well as outside of school (LSE summer school, Oxford Easter school, university of reading summer school, 6 months work experiences at Marie Curie charity, 2 weeks work experiences at Westminster magistrates court) etc.

This maths grade is the ONLY thing pulling me down! I'm also part of a programme called RO and so as a perk I can get entry requirements one grade down for Russel group universities however I don't even know if Russel group universities will accept me :frown:

Please help me fellow friends x

Remember Russell groups aren't everything there are other important factors in choosing a university course. Are you willing to consider foundation years perhaps?
You can get into unis definitely, Russell group the chances aren’t high but it’s possible. They do it on a case by case basis and the only way to know is to apply - don’t apply for 5 top unis though that’s a risk
Oh right thanks for the advice. So apply to one (or two) Russel group universities (that aren't too high and prestigious) and three which are mediocre/ uses tariff points or low entry requirements? THANKS A BUNCH GIRLIE X
I don't want to do a foundation degree. Im an aspiring barrister and with the extras I need to do I'll rather just do a normal degree and then law conversion course. When looking at universities how can I tell if they aren't good or not? I check league tables but can you expand by good universities? Thanks
Hmm sounds good. Thanks might look more into it if I can. Would preferably not like to lose a year but if that means better uni I'll consider it! THANKS A BUNCH x

Quick Reply