The Student Room Group

Polarisation HELP!

Hello,
I have recently started Sixth Form and in Physics i have been studying polarisation. Although i completely understand the topic to do with EM waves/light, i am struggling with this research homework task. It is to find out if water waves can be polarised or not AND why. I have scoured the internet but most of the pages only talked about polarisation of light or Brewsters angle which i did not need. Does anyone know the answer AND why on here. Much appreciated. Thanks.
Original post by Michael-Physics
Hello,
I have recently started Sixth Form and in Physics i have been studying polarisation. Although i completely understand the topic to do with EM waves/light, i am struggling with this research homework task. It is to find out if water waves can be polarised or not AND why. I have scoured the internet but most of the pages only talked about polarisation of light or Brewsters angle which i did not need. Does anyone know the answer AND why on here. Much appreciated. Thanks.

Waves can be polarised if they are transverse, but cannot if they are longitudinal. This is because, when you polarised a wave, you are removing one direction of oscillation; longitudinal waves only oscillate in one direction, so this "destroys" the wave. However, transverse oscillate in two, perpendicular directions. This means that they aren't "destroyed".
I *believe* water waves are transverse, so they could be polarised. However, you may want to check this.
water waves like ripples on a pond are a type of gravity wave (which is different to a gravitational wave)

they exist on a 2d horizontal plane interface and are driven by a restoring force due to gravity which is operating normal to the surface... so they're constrained to one polarisation - vertical.

Quick Reply

Latest