The Student Room Group

EQL Exempt Funding - Open University, Psychology

Hi,

I am a returning student, with an undergraduate degree looking to study another undergraduate degree for a change of career. I have decided on the Open University, and wish to study Psychology there.

Printed on their website is a list of subjects that fall under the exempt category, of which I should be able to receive funding. Below is a link to their website with the list:

http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/fees-and-funding/equivalent-qualifications

I have spoke to Open University and they confirm that the course, (the course number is Q07) is exempt and applicable for second degree funding.

My question is can I get confirmation from Student Finance of this, I have spoken to Student Finance twice and I am none the wiser, The Open University said that upon my application I should phone Student Finance and ask you to speak to the OU for them to confirm.

Also do I need to do anything different in regards to applying? Or do I just use the same account I had for my first degree, and apply for another tuition loan as I did the first time?
Hi kie_croft,

When the policy was confirmed for part time funding for the 2017/18 academic year it confirmed three categories of exception subjects carried on from the 2015/16 academic year student finance regulations. These were -

Engineering

Computer Science

Technologies

In addition to this they confirmed that the 2017/18 student finance regulations will include a further five categories of exception subjects which are -

Subjects Allied to Medicine

Biological Sciences

Veterinary Sciences, Agricultural & Related Subjects

Physical Sciences

Mathematical Sciences

Psychology isn't usually defined as Physical or Biological Sciences and it definitely doesn't come under the others. I checked the Course Management System (CMS) database to see how it was listed on there to see if it gave any more definite information about eligibility and it lists Biological Sciences as a subject category along with Psychology itself so on this basis it could be classed as an exception subject.

The only way to fully know for certain would be for you to submit an application. You would need to apply online via your original account that you used before. Once your application is submitted and on the system there are codes that would be pulled through from the database that we can check. This would enable us to give you a definite answer as to whether it is an exception subject so you would know for certain whether you would get your fees paid for this.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending