UK A-Level Grades to USA GPA Watch

megan_03
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am currently studying my second year at college, however looking to study in America, how would I calculate my grades I currently obtain through education up to this point and convert into a GPA for my applications? x
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
GPAs are often calculated different by different colleges in the US anyway (such as some using weighted GPAs and some not) and the British system doesn't exactly match up to the US system anyway (there is no A* in the US, and some places don't consider +s and -s on grades - however the A* is not the same as an A+ and is in fact a separate, higher grade. But equally, this doesn't mean the A is equivalent to a B in the US, as the fundamental way grades and rubrics are set out in the UK are very different, as are the assessment methods).

I would suggest you contact the colleges and universities you're looking to apply to and ask them how they want you to show your GPA. Applications to colleges in the US are normally done. Most major universities will probably have some experience of UK applicants (certainly, the Ivy League and comparable institutions definitely will, as will most likely the larger/better state schools like the UCs, UVA, Penn State, UMich or UIUC). This removes any ambiguity from what you should be doing, and ensures you don't jeopardize an application by appearing to falsely construe your grades (which you wouldn't be, but it happens and that can be an outcome). Also most colleges in the US are applied to directly (with the exception of those that use the CommonApp, which is a growing number but doesn't include all of them) so you need to comply to each individual's format, rather than applying one to several.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (161)
17.5%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (81)
8.8%
No I am happy with my course choice (547)
59.46%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (131)
14.24%

Watched Threads