The Student Room Group

How to avoid a friend if they're making me feel upset?

Before you read the title I know avoiding your friend is not a very nice thing to do but I don't want them to be my friend anymore. The thing is we were great friends at the start but now they have been saying really mean things to me. Which are not about me but other things that I do not like to hear. They have become very self absorbed all of a sudden and very arrogent and they are making me feel very bad about myself. I tried to talk to them about it but they say that I don't understand and I'm overreacting. Unless I agree with them they get offended. If I say I don't want to talk to them anymore I am worried that they will start being mean to me. so is there a way for me to avoid them and for them to clearly get the message I do not want to speak with them anymore. They have said very hurtful things and it makes me feel down in class.
Reply 1
I know
But how?
Reply 2
Original post by Matilda612
Before you read the title I know avoiding your friend is not a very nice thing to do but I don't want them to be my friend anymore. The thing is we were great friends at the start but now they have been saying really mean things to me. Which are not about me but other things that I do not like to hear. They have become very self absorbed all of a sudden and very arrogent and they are making me feel very bad about myself. I tried to talk to them about it but they say that I don't understand and I'm overreacting. Unless I agree with them they get offended. If I say I don't want to talk to them anymore I am worried that they will start being mean to me. so is there a way for me to avoid them and for them to clearly get the message I do not want to speak with them anymore. They have said very hurtful things and it makes me feel down in class.

I feel you. I have a friend who being an absolute ***** to me ever since we moved to a new school to start sixth form. I feel like she only talks to me when she needs someone so that she doesn't look alone. When she finds her other friends, she completely leaves me on my own. It really sucks when you are trying to be a good friend but realise not everyone is like this :frown:
emotionally distance yourself away from them - train yourself to not be affected by what they say/do. What they say should have NO impact on you whatsoever - life is too short to be around ppl who make u feel bad. instead find other people who make you feel GOOD and put more effort into those relationships. you don't have to put up with this.
Yeah, doesn't seem like a friend to me. Make some new friends and start blanking this one. Start walking away or just reply with short answers. If they don't understand that what they are doing is wrong and is making you feel like crap, they aren't the right friend for you. You can be friends with people who are kind and are actually understanding. xx
Reply 5
I know :frown:
Original post by Anonymous
emotionally distance yourself away from them - train yourself to not be affected by what they say/do. What they say should have NO impact on you whatsoever - life is too short to be around ppl who make u feel bad. instead find other people who make you feel GOOD and put more effort into those relationships. you don't have to put up with this.

Your advice is solid. But it's hard to emotionally distance yourself from people.
Reply 7
I'm actully fine with avoiding her. I honestly don't care about her anymore but I'm worried that she may start spreading nasty rumours about me around school. Words travel fast :angry:
I'm actully fine with avoiding her. I honestly don't care about her anymore but I'm worried that she may start spreading nasty rumours about me around school. Words travel fast :angry:

If she spreads rumours about you, you should actually tell a tutor/teacher x

Words don't matter. Let people think what they want to think about it, so long as it doesn't affect you. After all, actions speak louder than words. Most people are intelligent enough not to just believe a bit of gossip: even if they did, the ones that believe it so easily obviously aren't mates of yours. Get yourself some mates that trust you.

Dont listen to "words dont matter"
They do. No one will be friends with you if they think you did XYZ and you're a ABC person. Slowly ghost her and make new friends.
If shes the type to spread rumours then you have TO SPREAD RUMOURS ABOUT HER FIRST!!! This is so she cant ruin your image
Original post by Faheem4341
Dont listen to "words dont matter"
They do. No one will be friends with you if they think you did XYZ and you're a ABC person. Slowly ghost her and make new friends.
If shes the type to spread rumours then you have TO SPREAD RUMOURS ABOUT HER FIRST!!! This is so she cant ruin your image

Lmao haha you got banned!

Who's the sucker now, hahahahahah b**h

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending