Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Feeling lonely and unaccomplished, advice? Watch

Announcements

Where do I start...

My long distant friend ignored my message when I messaged her on Facebook, she doesn't like my stuff or comment anymore. I just feel like I'm losing friends, I don't really have friends to hang out with anymore, due to them having new relationships, friends from uni or idk, I just feel quite alone. Also when I look at Facebook I can see people who have achieved so much in their lives already and appear to be popular/ cared about where I just feel in the background, like no one cares for me not even my friends, a lot of time I'm really down about it and I keep thinking to myself what's wrong with me.

My biggest issue is that I have some friends but I don't feel like I'm good enough to hang out with them if they never reach out for me, I feel like I'm always reaching out to them.

Thanks for listening if you dropped by

ReputationRep:
    Same thing happened with me. My ex best friend ignored my request to be friends. The thing is people change and we just need to move on. If u can't stand those who just brags bout their life, just ignore them. U ve got ur own life to live. Watch some videos bout people with difficulties in life and u will realise there are people who's got worse life than u but are still enjoying their life.

ReputationRep:
    As life goes on, close friends tend to grow apart. Your friends may all lead busy lives in terms of family, work, etc. that they don't have the time to meet you. It isn't your fault, it is circumstance. They start to make new friends with the people in their new lives. Have you tried meeting new people yourself? Look at clubs or volunteering - it may be time to widen your own social circle and not cling on to old friendships.

I would also stay off Facebook - spending time looking at other people's profiles just makes you feel worse, plus you need to consider that most people only choose to post positive parts of their lives (cute photos, holidays, job achievements, parties...). Concentrate on yourself - what are you not happy about in your life? Work, love, money?... After you have identified it, make new plans to improve those areas.

ReputationRep:
    I know this sounds rude but you need better friends - if your 'friends' dont generally want anything to do with you then you shouldnt have anything to do with them

I would suggest taking something you like and doing and do it with other people. Say you like gaming for example. Best way is to join a group for it on facebook or wherever and get to know the people on there. Or if you like football. Join a club and get to know the people there.Joining a group like that and getting to know the people on there can help you find good friends. I speak from experience.

Edit: Also unfriend all the people who pretend like you dont exist on facebook

ReputationRep:
    Mate from my experiences what you need to do is start improving yourself in any way you can, for example taking up a new hobby you love, hitting the gym more, reading etc, you'll then see people naturally gravitating towards you. Once you stop worrying about what other people think about you and start worrying about what you think about you the sooner you'll be happy. I also recommend trying to cut down on all social media, it's toxic and never makes anyone feel gd about themselves to see people having a great time at uni or on holiday, no one's lives are perfect, as they seem to be on social media. Also people won't enjoy your company if you're always worried that they're trying to push you out, even if you have to put it on for a while, keep your head up act as upbeat as you can round your mates and all of those feelings of being pushed out will disappear. I really recommend going on Reddit and looking for posts just like this there's a mad amount of amazing advise there and you'll be amazed at how quickly you can get back to feeling gd again. Hope this helps!

(Original post by cheesecakelove)
    As life goes on, close friends tend to grow apart. Your friends may all lead busy lives in terms of family, work, etc. that they don't have the time to meet you. It isn't your fault, it is circumstance. They start to make new friends with the people in their new lives. Have you tried meeting new people yourself? Look at clubs or volunteering - it may be time to widen your own social circle and not cling on to old friendships.

I would also stay off Facebook - spending time looking at other people's profiles just makes you feel worse, plus you need to consider that most people only choose to post positive parts of their lives (cute photos, holidays, job achievements, parties...). Concentrate on yourself - what are you not happy about in your life? Work, love, money?... After you have identified it, make new plans to improve those areas.
    Haha all of the above
    work- currently at uni
    love - never had a boyfriend
    money - currently looking for a part time job

You're right I should concentrate on myself but I always have this sinking feeling I don't deserve to as other people, I.e friends don't even want to hang out with me

(Original post by Janej77)
    Same thing happened with me. My ex best friend ignored my request to be friends. The thing is people change and we just need to move on. If u can't stand those who just brags bout their life, just ignore them. U ve got ur own life to live. Watch some videos bout people with difficulties in life and u will realise there are people who's got worse life than u but are still enjoying their life.
    True I will watch some videos actually

(Original post by Gurubi)
    I know this sounds rude but you need better friends - if your 'friends' dont generally want anything to do with you then you shouldnt have anything to do with them

I would suggest taking something you like and doing and do it with other people. Say you like gaming for example. Best way is to join a group for it on facebook or wherever and get to know the people on there. Or if you like football. Join a club and get to know the people there.Joining a group like that and getting to know the people on there can help you find good friends. I speak from experience.

Edit: Also unfriend all the people who pretend like you dont exist on facebook
    No doesn't sound rude at all, that's a good suggestion, I'll look into it

(Original post by samski77)
    Mate from my experiences what you need to do is start improving yourself in any way you can, for example taking up a new hobby you love, hitting the gym more, reading etc, you'll then see people naturally gravitating towards you. Once you stop worrying about what other people think about you and start worrying about what you think about you the sooner you'll be happy. I also recommend trying to cut down on all social media, it's toxic and never makes anyone feel gd about themselves to see people having a great time at uni or on holiday, no one's lives are perfect, as they seem to be on social media. Also people won't enjoy your company if you're always worried that they're trying to push you out, even if you have to put it on for a while, keep your head up act as upbeat as you can round your mates and all of those feelings of being pushed out will disappear. I really recommend going on Reddit and looking for posts just like this there's a mad amount of amazing advise there and you'll be amazed at how quickly you can get back to feeling gd again. Hope this helps!
    Never been on Reddit before I'm gonna have a look. I was thinking about joining the gym once I go back to uni next week and have a routine of getting up 6am so that I can get into a habit of getting up early and not rushing to lectures. I think I need a hobby like you said I need to think of things I used to love doing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Before this page loaded, I thought "you need to come off social media for a start" and low and behold, Facebook has reared it's ugly head. It is very easy to feel like you do when you start comparing yourself to others and looking at how people live their lives but it's not entirely representative of them or their lives. There are people younger than me who are engaged/married, have children, have a house, have careers, but I know it's just not my time yet.

I literally have zero friends because they all did something against me that I would never do to someone else that I respect, so I learned that they didn't actually care for or respect me. The only person who comments on my stuff is my ex's friend. :lol:

If you feel you're always the one reaching out, then it's a sign that maybe they're not the right friends for you. Yeah, it really sucks being lonely, but the mental torment of being "friends" with people who treat you badly is just as bad, but that's torment you can extinguish.

You can either drop them completely or push your insecurities aside and message them and invite them out. Be overly confident. Almost pester them until you meet up! You may find that the dynamic hasn't changed and they still treat you as a close friend which will let you know everything's okay. If not, then you know you tried.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Where do I start...

My long distant friend ignored my message when I messaged her on Facebook, she doesn't like my stuff or comment anymore. I just feel like I'm losing friends, I don't really have friends to hang out with anymore, due to them having new relationships, friends from uni or idk, I just feel quite alone. Also when I look at Facebook I can see people who have achieved so much in their lives already and appear to be popular/ cared about where I just feel in the background, like no one cares for me not even my friends, a lot of time I'm really down about it and I keep thinking to myself what's wrong with me.

My biggest issue is that I have some friends but I don't feel like I'm good enough to hang out with them if they never reach out for me, I feel like I'm always reaching out to them.

Thanks for listening if you dropped by

Friends are overrated.
    Buy a dog, hit the gym, focus on your studies

(Original post by hannxm)
    Before this page loaded, I thought "you need to come off social media for a start" and low and behold, Facebook has reared it's ugly head. It is very easy to feel like you do when you start comparing yourself to others and looking at how people live their lives but it's not entirely representative of them or their lives. There are people younger than me who are engaged/married, have children, have a house, have careers, but I know it's just not my time yet.

I literally have zero friends because they all did something against me that I would never do to someone else that I respect, so I learned that they didn't actually care for or respect me. The only person who comments on my stuff is my ex's friend. :lol:

If you feel you're always the one reaching out, then it's a sign that maybe they're not the right friends for you. Yeah, it really sucks being lonely, but the mental torment of being "friends" with people who treat you badly is just as bad, but that's torment you can extinguish.

You can either drop them completely or push your insecurities aside and message them and invite them out. Be overly confident. Almost pester them until you meet up! You may find that the dynamic hasn't changed and they still treat you as a close friend which will let you know everything's okay. If not, then you know you tried.
    I feel like I get the biggest FOMO if I delete every social media, although there's this beautiful women I worked with, who doesn't have any social media at all. I aspire to be like her, the way she thinks and her intelligence. I just couldn't delete them all, because I'm alone and if I do I'll feel even more alone.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I get the biggest FOMO if I delete every social media, although there's this beautiful women I worked with, who doesn't have any social media at all. I aspire to be like her, the way she thinks and her intelligence. I just couldn't delete them all, because I'm alone and if I do I'll feel even more alone.
    You don't have to delete your account. You could deactivate or maybe remove the apps from your phone so it's not easy to view them. You may feel liberated and more focused on yourself and start new hobbies and improve your life if you take a step back from it.

(Original post by hannxm)
    You don't have to delete your account. You could deactivate or maybe remove the apps from your phone so it's not easy to view them. You may feel liberated and more focused on yourself and start new hobbies and improve your life if you take a step back from it.
    That's true I tried it before with Facebook where I deleted the app and I felt better not having to go on it all the time

ReputationRep:
    Wait is this the same person who made the thread "girl gives short replies all of a sudden" or something?

(Original post by Kai's Wife)
    Wait is this the same person who made the thread "girl gives short replies all of a sudden" or something?
    No I'm a girl, I had to actually search for that post to see what one you were referring to. Is it about this boy and a girl giving him dead responses if so that's not exactly what my friends doing tbh, just no response . I'm not sure if you read my post lol

ReputationRep:
    No I'm a girl, I had to actually search for that post to see what one you were referring to. Is it about this boy and a girl giving him dead responses if so that's not exactly what my friends doing tbh, just no response . I'm not sure if you read my post lol
    Yhh that one XDD and nope tbh XP I'm gonna read it now

ReputationRep:
    I'd say herb new friends, from what I read I feel like your "friends" aren't your real friends if you're the one who's always reaching out for them whereas they don't care

I'd say herb new friends, from what I read I feel like your "friends" aren't your real friends if you're the one who's always reaching out for them whereas they don't care
    Quite possibly, I just don't know anymore

ReputationRep:
    Quite possibly, I just don't know anymore
    Awww
    Have you started uni?

Awww
    Have you started uni?
    Yep I'm in my final year, I'm 22 but it feels like the older I get the lonelier I am

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 22, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.