Speeding past police in oncoming direction

Watch
marvellousmarvin
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Hi guys. So one night I was speeding (I know that this was wrong of me and I've definitely learnt my lesson due to my extreme worrying right now) and I was quite abit over the limit on a 30mph road. This was past midnight. While I was speeding, a traffic police car was travelling towards me in the opposite direction. Once I saw the police, I slowed down to below 30. However, this police car stopped and did a U turn so I think they definitely saw that I was speeding. At this point I was travelling at 25mph and took my usual turn towards my house. However, the police didn't follow me and I don't know where they went. I was fully expecting them to take the same turn as me and pull me over with their sirens. Have I gotten away with my stupid decision to speed, because if they wanted to they could have easily followed me and stopped me right?
Thanks.
AngryJellyfish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Moved to Cars and motoring.
RhymeAsylumForever
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Looks like you got away as they had no proof you were speeding! As if they stopped you, you could just deny it hence you driving at 25mph afterwards deterred them from even stopping you. Well done lol
marvellousmarvin
Rep:
?
(Original post by RhymeAsylumForever)
Looks like you got away as they had no proof you were speeding! As if they stopped you, you could just deny it hence you driving at 25mph afterwards deterred them from even stopping you. Well done lol
I really do hope so because I've been worrying so much! I definitely won't be speeding again. Maybe I got lucky because I'm sure that if they turned their car around they could easily have stopped me and issued a ticket there and then which is easier than sending an NiP through the post
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by marvellousmarvin)
Hi guys. So one night I was speeding (I know that this was wrong of me and I've definitely learnt my lesson due to my extreme worrying right now) and I was quite abit over the limit on a 30mph road. This was past midnight. While I was speeding, a traffic police car was travelling towards me in the opposite direction. Once I saw the police, I slowed down to below 30. However, this police car stopped and did a U turn so I think they definitely saw that I was speeding. At this point I was travelling at 25mph and took my usual turn towards my house. However, the police didn't follow me and I don't know where they went. I was fully expecting them to take the same turn as me and pull me over with their sirens. Have I gotten away with my stupid decision to speed, because if they wanted to they could have easily followed me and stopped me right?
Thanks.
Police cars in the UK don't have equipment to monitor the speed of oncoming traffic - don't worry.
marvellousmarvin
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
Police cars in the UK don't have equipment to monitor the speed of oncoming traffic - don't worry.
I know but I've heard that if there was 2 officers in the car that they don't need equipment? Also why did they turn around and do a U turn as I went past but didn't follow me? As soon as they turned around behind me, I turned left but they didn't follow me. Am I just paranoid because if they wanted to they could have just followed and stopped me?
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know but I've heard that if there was 2 officers in the car that they don't need equipment? Also why did they turn around and do a U turn as I went past but didn't follow me? As soon as they turned around behind me, I turned left but they didn't follow me. Am I just paranoid because if they wanted to they could have just followed and stopped me?
They'd still have to come behind you and check your speed - if you'd dropped down to below the limit, they have nothing to go on - simple.
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(I know that this was wrong of me and I've definitely learnt my lesson due to my extreme worrying right now) and I was quite abit over the limit on a 30mph road.
You should be more concerned about what would have happened had you lost control in a (I assume) residential area, or a pedestrian had stepped-out. Getting done for speeding would be minor in comparison, but I doubt that you'll hear anything about it.
marvellousmarvin
Rep:
?
(Original post by IWMTom)
They'd still have to come behind you and check your speed - if you'd dropped down to below the limit, they have nothing to go on - simple.
Thanks for the replies, it seems like I may have got away with this one.
marvellousmarvin
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
You should be more concerned about what would have happened had you lost control in a (I assume) residential area, or a pedestrian had stepped-out. Getting done for speeding would be minor in comparison, but I doubt that you'll hear anything about it.
I know I've been told this many times and I've definitely learnt my lesson. I'm glad I've had this wake up call before anything like you said happened. Hopefully nothing comes of it and I'm now a safer driver due to it
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I know I've been told this many times and I've definitely learnt my lesson. I'm glad I've had this wake up call before anything like you said happened. Hopefully nothing comes of it and I'm now a safer driver due to it
Good attitude. I'm sure that we've all done silly things in cars, including me. Driving at night can be difficult and dangerous, especially in unlit areas.
marvellousmarvin
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Good attitude. I'm sure that we've all done silly things in cars, including me. Driving at night can be difficult and dangerous, especially in unlit areas.
Thanks, I'm a fairly new driver so I'm trying to learn from the stupid mistakes I make. Hopefully I avoid punishment as it's not needed for a lesson to be learnt in my opinion
Bruvaboshamp
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I was speeding in the motor way today and my collegue said sh saw undercover police on oppposite side of motor way and saw a flash on the dash, he thinks he clocked me speeding, is this possible??
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bruvaboshamp)
I was speeding in the motor way today and my collegue said sh saw undercover police on oppposite side of motor way and saw a flash on the dash, he thinks he clocked me speeding, is this possible??
No.
ATCH1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What eventually happened. Did you get the penalty posted to you?
ATCH1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Did you get the penalty posted to you?
TheMcSame
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ATCH1)
Did you get the penalty posted to you?
Highly unlikely, the police need to be able to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, the offence in question was committed. For most speeding offences, this pretty much necessitates the use of calibrated equipment that measures speed. As of right now, police cars are only fitted with one means of capturing speed while in motion, and this requires the police car to actually follow the offending car in order to get an average speed reading. Even then, it isn't fit to all police cars AFIK, a traffic car might have it, but your regular panda car probably wouldn't.

Honestly, the police probably didn't know he was speeding until he stamped on the brakes. It's hard to judge how fast a car is going without any sort of reference, usually, they have to be going well over the limit in order for people to pick up on it. An experienced officer might be able to pick out a car that's doing 10-15 over, but that's about the limit of our abilities. What just about every TO knows to look for though, is cars that suddenly brake without reason once they see the police car. That is usually a dead giveaway that someone was speeding.
Last edited by TheMcSame; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (132)
14.78%
I'm not sure (40)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (268)
30.01%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.46%
I'm not a current university student (431)
48.26%

Watched Threads