The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Mental Health Support Society XIX

Scroll to see replies

Hi guys,

Would really appreciate the help of anyone who reads this who has taken anti depressants. Firstly how bad has your depression got on a scale of 1-10, 10 being worst and unable to live a normal life at all i.e. unable to concentrate, no energy, just totally nothing going on (I feel I'm at this stage, even though I work two days a week, the work is easy and I need to go for my family even if I feel nothing but anxiety and depression all day long....I have admittedly had a better few weeks lately though and feel like I wish to cry sometimes which is better than before as I'm actually feeling something!)? I appreciate depression is an extremely personal thing and therefore one person's idea of the worst kind of depression can differ extremely from someone else's...I'd even go as far as to say that when it comes to major depression, it's tailour made to fit our individual personality and that's why it can sometimes so subtly blend into our own personality before we realise it is even there. And the second point is, how much of an impact have antidepressants had on you from 1-10, but this time with 1 being very little or zero impact, and 10 being they totally lifted you out of a hole and allowed you to put in place what you needed to turn your life around or at least muddle through and get yourself going again? I'm put off taking any medication for literally years and it's just wasted my life away. I'm still hesitate but at this point, and especially considering how many people nowadays have to take them for depression anxiety or both, I'm thinking surely the only way is up? (Well no surely about it, anything is better than where I am generally now...)

Thanks all.
Original post by W. A. Mozart
Would it be worth going to my GP about sleep problems?

Not your typical sleep problem; it's the fact that I constantly feel the need to sleep. An example is yesterday where I had a solid 10 hours of sleep overnight and then I slept for 6 more hours in the day because I felt like I had to sleep. I have been getting a good amount of sleep every night for a while now, so I'm confused. I feel like I somehow feel the need to sleep even when I'm not tired, if that makes any sense. Maybe I am actually tired all of the time though? I don't know

Now this is an issue because I have a job and A Levels to study for, and I just cannot find the energy to study at all. I could force myself to do it, but I would be so fixated on going to sleep that it would be utterly half-arsed and pointless. There are even times when I tell myself in my head "Right we need to do this now you cannot go to sleep" yet I still go and lie in bed anyway, even though I really don't have the time to do it and I don't actually want to.

Edit: If it's relevant, I'm still taking 20mg fluoxetine, yet not symptomatic at all with regards to depression. Possibly a side effect of the medication?

But besides this, I'm doing really well. Huge hugs to all and my PMs are always open! :h::hugs:

Just to add - get a blood test? That can rule out many issues including the thyroid thing. Though 'hopefully' it's just your meds need adjusting. Good luck :hugs:
this thread is amazingggg! if anyone ever needs someone to talk to, I’m here :colondollar:
SA TW

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, I am 17 and only recently coming to terms with my experience of sexual assault/child molestation and even though majority of the time it doesn't bother me and I don't remember everything vividly I sometimes have episodes where I fall into deep thoughts and feel scared and alone because of my past and self destruct for like a week.

I know this sounds weird but for the longest time I've never ever considered myself a victim of rape or any sexual assault. I've always heard about it happening to other people but never associated it with myself and still don't.

I'm hoping to start seeing my college counselor because I really do need someone to talk to about this as well as other experiences of things.

I haven't read the previous posts of this thread yet I just wanted to post something on here. It's a good idea for a thread

Just wanted to send you a hug :hugs:
lonely as usually, stupid really because when im with people i need a break from them and then when im on my own i hate that as well. If i actually found people inrl like some of the people on here then maybe i wouldnt need a break from them since people on here actually get stuff and understand whereas everything inrl is so superficial. Even at school after 7 years of knowing people conversation still felt like small talk to me
dont feel wanted either by myself or anyone, dreamed '**** off' was written on my household door upon my return (why would i even be returning anyway it is being sold) so yeh
feel disgusting (in many ways tbh but atm especially sweat) and boiling as well since the heating is on full blast so my laundry doesnt smell (dont want to waste money in the laundrette so just hand wash everything but had to soak my trousers for ages to get the mud, blood and grass out of them) so will get a cold shower when i can be arsed since showering here is such an arduous process
hope everyone else is alright, sorry for posting too much and being depressing
Think I've hit rock bottom, not sure how much longer I can go on feeling like this
Original post by hannah4801
Think I've hit rock bottom, not sure how much longer I can go on feeling like this

:hugs: What is going on?
Original post by W. A. Mozart
Would it be worth going to my GP about sleep problems?

Not your typical sleep problem; it's the fact that I constantly feel the need to sleep. An example is yesterday where I had a solid 10 hours of sleep overnight and then I slept for 6 more hours in the day because I felt like I had to sleep. I have been getting a good amount of sleep every night for a while now, so I'm confused. I feel like I somehow feel the need to sleep even when I'm not tired, if that makes any sense. Maybe I am actually tired all of the time though? I don't know

Now this is an issue because I have a job and A Levels to study for, and I just cannot find the energy to study at all. I could force myself to do it, but I would be so fixated on going to sleep that it would be utterly half-arsed and pointless. There are even times when I tell myself in my head "Right we need to do this now you cannot go to sleep" yet I still go and lie in bed anyway, even though I really don't have the time to do it and I don't actually want to.

Edit: If it's relevant, I'm still taking 20mg fluoxetine, yet not symptomatic at all with regards to depression. Possibly a side effect of the medication?

But besides this, I'm doing really well. Huge hugs to all and my PMs are always open! :h::hugs:

Hi i have problems sleeping when i have slept for 9 hours and feel like i need more , i take 20mg of fluxotine but i had these problems before i started taking them, when i went to my doctors he like brushed it aside and said they dont really perscribe sleeping tablets to 17 year olds so my mum went brought some from holland and barrett and there good when i remember to take them
lonely as usually, stupid really because when im with people i need a break from them and then when im on my own i hate that as well. ... Even at school after 7 years of knowing people conversation still felt like small talk to me
dont feel wanted either by myself or anyone...

Yeah, I can relate to this stuff. I used to duck out of social situations at school whenever possible, but I'd usually feel miserable whilst doing so. And I still sometimes feel ill at ease just hanging out with the one person I'm still in contact with from school, and I've known them for... 9 years or so?

I'm probably not the best person to talk to, but if you do want to at any point, Anon, then my inbox is open.
One of my abusive siblings (the oldest) is having a child. I secretly hoped that neither of my abusive siblings would have children with the **** that I went through. I'm 19 and it took me moving to another continent may that I finally got away from him. I decided today (this morning) that I was going to cut contact with him and cut him out of my life like I did with the other sibling. I'm the youngest of three.

Obviously I wish I wouldn't have to but I got dealt some *****y cards in life so this is what I have to do. My mum did congratulate him but when I told her that it's wrong him having a child she said "What has him having a child got to do with me" You could say that, had I grown up well adjusted but I'm not. All because of what he did though it wasn't physical it was still enough to **** me up. Other things were said like how I had to remind her how both of my siblings are bad and what if the other sibling had a kid?

TW sexual abuse:

Spoiler

I guess am I wrong for being triggered? Am I over reacting? His girlfriend they've barely been together doesn't know what type of person he truly is. I'm waiting for his abusve tendancies to rear it's ugly head he's good at being nice for a little while but long term.... yikes! He's already showing signs but they're tiny signs but I still recognize them I can see from her perspective how harmless they are but with him I know how quickly it can get bad.

I had typed out a long post but it got deleted :frown: I think this one is better
Hard to tell where I am in life, since I moved to my flat at Christmas been really strange in my head since, I did break my arm at end of Jan and was on painkillers for about 4 months (though took once a day rather than recommended 4 times a day felt weak over summer and 7 weeks ago started to get a virus, 2 and a half weeks ago was over the sweating stage and drunk, to just having a cold, then changed to sleeping like 10-13 hours a day as feel like I have had too much to drink/middle of night all the time.

Though as well it could be as my diet has been changing, less and less take away, more and more subways but intake lower and lost some weight.

Or is it down to about 4 months ago getting a new bed as well? hard to tell.

Either way been weak for 2 months, and strange feeling since Christmas.
is anyone around?
Original post by furryface12
is anyone around?

furry :penguinhug:
Reply 94
is anyone around?

I'm around on WhatsApp if you need me :hugs: I can come visit tomorrow afternoon if you're free too? :ninja:
Original post by ironandbeer2
Hi guys,

Would really appreciate the help of anyone who reads this who has taken anti depressants. Firstly how bad has your depression got on a scale of 1-10, 10 being worst and unable to live a normal life at all i.e. unable to concentrate, no energy, just totally nothing going on (I feel I'm at this stage, even though I work two days a week, the work is easy and I need to go for my family even if I feel nothing but anxiety and depression all day long....I have admittedly had a better few weeks lately though and feel like I wish to cry sometimes which is better than before as I'm actually feeling something!)? I appreciate depression is an extremely personal thing and therefore one person's idea of the worst kind of depression can differ extremely from someone else's...I'd even go as far as to say that when it comes to major depression, it's tailour made to fit our individual personality and that's why it can sometimes so subtly blend into our own personality before we realise it is even there. And the second point is, how much of an impact have antidepressants had on you from 1-10, but this time with 1 being very little or zero impact, and 10 being they totally lifted you out of a hole and allowed you to put in place what you needed to turn your life around or at least muddle through and get yourself going again? I'm put off taking any medication for literally years and it's just wasted my life away. I'm still hesitate but at this point, and especially considering how many people nowadays have to take them for depression anxiety or both, I'm thinking surely the only way is up? (Well no surely about it, anything is better than where I am generally now...)

Thanks all.

I don't think I've ever been a 10. I've never been bedridden due to depression, but I have been depressed to the point where I've wandered round my uni city in pyjamas for pretty much 3 months. So I'd say I've been around an 8 on your scale? 8.5 maybe?

With regards to antidepressants, I'd say it's a 10 for me, according to your scale. The combination of Sertraline (antidepressant) plus aripiprazole (antipsychotic) together enabled me to get myself out of a very very deep, dark hole :yes:

Huge hugs to you :jumphug: May I ask why you've been so reluctant to try antidepressants?

SA TW

Spoiler

Hi, welcome to the thread :smile: I'm TLG, yodelling goatherd extraordinaire and resident golden oldie :shakecane: :musicus: :shakecane:

Sorry to read of what you've been through. It's not weird at all that

Spoiler

Do try and talk to someone IRL about it though, I do think that's an important step that you should try and take, if you feel able to :smile:

Original post by hannah4801

:jumphug:

Original post by Hoodie Allen
One of my abusive siblings (the oldest) is having a child. I secretly hoped that neither of my abusive siblings would have children with the **** that I went through. I'm 19 and it took me moving to another continent may that I finally got away from him. I decided today (this morning) that I was going to cut contact with him and cut him out of my life like I did with the other sibling. I'm the youngest of three.

Obviously I wish I wouldn't have to but I got dealt some *****y cards in life so this is what I have to do. My mum did congratulate him but when I told her that it's wrong him having a child she said "What has him having a child got to do with me" You could say that, had I grown up well adjusted but I'm not. All because of what he did though it wasn't physical it was still enough to **** me up. Other things were said like how I had to remind her how both of my siblings are bad and what if the other sibling had a kid?

TW sexual abuse:

Spoiler

I guess am I wrong for being triggered? Am I over reacting? His girlfriend they've barely been together doesn't know what type of person he truly is. I'm waiting for his abusve tendancies to rear it's ugly head he's good at being nice for a little while but long term.... yikes! He's already showing signs but they're tiny signs but I still recognize them I can see from her perspective how harmless they are but with him I know how quickly it can get bad.

I had typed out a long post but it got deleted :frown: I think this one is better

I don't think you're wrong for being triggered - you can't help what you're triggered by and tbh if I were in your situation, I would also feel triggered. Huge hugs :jumphug:
ED stuff

Spoiler

Original post by Red Caesar
Yeah, I can relate to this stuff. I used to duck out of social situations at school whenever possible, but I'd usually feel miserable whilst doing so. And I still sometimes feel ill at ease just hanging out with the one person I'm still in contact with from school, and I've known them for... 9 years or so?

I'm probably not the best person to talk to, but if you do want to at any point, Anon, then my inbox is open.

thank you for writing that out :hugs:

is anyone around?

sorry only just saw :frown: :hugs:

-----------

Spoiler

feel like im slipping down into a bad spiral. not sure why but can just feel it :sigh:
Original post by PandaWho
feel like im slipping down into a bad spiral. not sure why but can just feel it :sigh:

:hugs:

Latest