Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How can I convince my parents to let me get a dog Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I WANT A DOG but they don't want one cos they think I won't be willing to look after it properly !!!! Help me get a dog I beg

ReputationRep:
    just get a boyfriend, men are dogs anyway
    Spoiler:
    Show

JK don't attack me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    :lol: I thought you were going to say, get a boyfriend because they usually have a dog but I was surprised.:lol:
    (Original post by _princessxox)
    Spoiler:
    Show

JK don't attack me

(Original post by chanel_666)
    I WANT A DOG but they don't want one cos they think I won't be willing to look after it properly !!!! Help me get a dog I beg
    You can't. It's their house, it's their rules. I want a dog but I know I would be interested in it for a few months and start slacking on taking it for walks because I'm a lazy ****. Your parents have the insight to foresee this and they know they will eventually be held responsible for your dog.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _princessxox)
    Spoiler:
    Show

JK don't attack me

LOOOOL
    Help me !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannxm)
    :lol: I thought you were going to say, get a boyfriend because they usually have a dog but I was surprised.:lol:
    lmaooo but tbh she could just date a guy who has a dog

ReputationRep:
    LOOOOL
    Help me !!
    I want a dog too :'(

ReputationRep:
    Is they thought you were competent, then they'd have agreed. Blame yourself for making them think this way! :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

You can't. It's their house, it's their rules. I want a dog but I know I would be interested in it for a few months and start slacking on taking it for walks because I'm a lazy ****. Your parents have the insight to foresee this and they know they will eventually be held responsible for your dog.
    I'll only be home for a year cos I want to board at my college next year but after I leave they can look after him and I'll come see him on weekends
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they don't want to look after the dog whilst you're away. You just have to wait until you have a place of your own.

I'll only be home for a year cos I want to board at my college next year but after I leave they can look after him and I'll come see him on weekends

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, they don't want to look after the dog whilst you're away. You just have to wait until you have a place of your own.
    True I think I've accepted it now I'll just wait
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Well, do you have a plan for where you're going to live that accepts dogs, how you're going to earn money to pay for insurance, food, vet visits, who will look after the dog while you're at work, and where you will walk it every day? For the next 15 years, that is - even breeds like great danes will be around for the better part of a decade, and hardier ones can well make a good effort to hitting 20.

I assume, based on your prior posts, that you're a 6th form student. But unless you have already thought of the above and have a plan that is set in stone with multiple redudancies and backups in place...you shouldn't get a dog. It seems what you want is your family to get a dog. But a dog is like having a baby. You need to be responsible for it, and accountable, and it is a living, breathing, sentient being that can suffer as well as flourish - that is a great responsibility.

Take for example, what your immediate plans are post 6th form. Do you intend to go to university? All of the above becomes glaringly apparent - you can't have a dog in halls, few student accommodations will accept any pets, and those that do usually restrict them to e.g. fish. You then need to look on the open market, which may well be more expensive and certainly is still not even easy to find a pet accepting location on a student budget. Where is the dog going to be while you're at uni? Will you pay for a pet day care, or a carer? Is there someone else who can watch it? Will you go back and forth from your house and lectures all day, limiting your social experience at university to ensure that your pet is well cared for? How will you afford all those things mentioned previous, i.e. insurance etc, on a student budget? Will you need to get a part time job to pay for it, and if so again, where is the dog going to be during that period?

It's disingenuous to expect your family to just take up the mantle of caring for the dog while you're at uni, or at work, or whatever, not to mention cruel to the animal to just abandon it with them, regardless of how good they are as carers, if you establish yourself as it's primary companion. Dogs do experience very deep connections with their owners and can develop severe anxiety when separated from them for long periods - which can also lead to other health concerns, although in itself is enough to immediately suggest you shouldn't do that.

You may want to look into dog-sitting or walking opportunities in your area - it will allow you to spend time with dogs, possibly in the mid to long term, and there is a slight possibility you could make some money doing it (although usually it would be on a voluntary basis, or even you paying to do so with some companies which arrange for people to pay to spend time with animals). It's a much more realistic option than "getting a dog", and can help develop self-discipline and a moderate level of fitness to boot

ReputationRep:
    easy

buy one
    say it was 10k with no return or exchange.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.