Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do I lack empathy for my family? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that I lack empathy for my family.

Due to autism I do not like being touched or touching others with the exception of my (best) friend(s) and pretty much every cat in the world. (<3)

The only one(s) who I allow/want to be touch(ed) (to) (by) me are/is my (best) friend(s). There are currently 2 humans who I allow to hug me.

I love the hug(s) of my friend(s) so much, it makes my week/month. They make me feel warm, fuzzy and happy!

I give handshakes to my best friend's mother whenever I see her as I have a lot of respect for her as she brought up my best friend whom I adore.

My family do not like the fact that I'll happily hug my friend(s) and not them.
    I hug my mother twice a year; on her birthday and on Christmas and I hug my father once a year either on Father's day or on his birthday. I think that's enough hugs for them. I also hug them if I feel they need it.

My father keeps on pestering me for hugs and a handshake. I don't feel much when I hug him nor do I feel anything when I hug my mother.
    I do love my parents, I just don't want to touch them.

I don't have much desire to hug/touch them. I only hug them for their sake.

My grandmother is currently ill and she wanted me to hold her hand, I didn't as I don't like touching others. My mother was disappointed. I don't understand why she would be, she knows I don't touch anyone who isn't one my "I'm okay with you touching me" list.

I saw her and I felt sadness but nothing much really. If it was my best friend or God forbid a cat I would be panicking and worrying and stressing... I would visit them every day and do whatever I could to help them...

When it comes to cats I get really emotional about them and happy when I talk about them. If I'm told ANYTHING upsetting about them I get REALLY upset and feel like crying.

My parents think that cats and my best friend are more important than them to me becuase I would do things for them that I wouldn't do for them.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Catsarefamily)
    I've been told that I lack empathy for my family.

Due to autism I do not like being touched or touching others with the exception of my (best) friend(s) and pretty much every cat in the world. (<3)

The only one(s) who I allow/want to be touch(ed) (to) (by) me are/is my (best) friend(s). There are currently 2 humans who I allow to hug me.

I love the hug(s) of my friend(s) so much, it makes my week/month. They make me feel warm, fuzzy and happy!

I give handshakes to my best friend's mother whenever I see her as I have a lot of respect for her as she brought up my best friend whom I adore.

My family do not like the fact that I'll happily hug my friend(s) and not them.
    I hug my mother twice a year; on her birthday and on Christmas and I hug my father once a year either on Father's day or on his birthday. I think that's enough hugs for them. I also hug them if I feel they need it.

My father keeps on pestering me for hugs and a handshake. I don't feel much when I hug him nor do I feel anything when I hug my mother.
    I do love my parents, I just don't want to touch them.

I don't have much desire to hug/touch them. I only hug them for their sake.

My grandmother is currently ill and she wanted me to hold her hand, I didn't as I don't like touching others. My mother was disappointed. I don't understand why she would be, she knows I don't touch anyone who isn't one my "I'm okay with you touching me" list.

I saw her and I felt sadness but nothing much really. If it was my best friend or God forbid a cat I would be panicking and worrying and stressing... I would visit them every day and do whatever I could to help them...

When it comes to cats I get really emotional about them and happy when I talk about them. If I'm told ANYTHING upsetting about them I get REALLY upset and feel like crying.

My parents think that cats and my best friend are more important than them to me becuase I would do things for them that I wouldn't do for them.
    With what you posted then imo YES. Not saying you can help it, but you show zero empathy for them. I can understand why they might find that difficult to deal with. Doesnt seem to bother you though..

ReputationRep:
    WTF?!
    I'd hate it if you were my child

Please ignore the comments from the ignorant, uneducated people. I have autism and its an entirely misunderstood neurodevelopmental disorder. YOU DO NOT LACK EMPATHY. I have autism and I actually have more empathy than most neurotypicals.

Please don't think you're some monster. Autistic people struggle to ' think in another person's shoes'. It doesn't mean you LACK empathy, it just means you struggle to see other peoples viewpoints aside from your own.

'My father keeps on pestering me for hugs and a handshake. I don't feel much when I hug him nor do I feel anything when I hug my mother.
    I do love my parents, I just don't want to touch them.'

As an autistic person, I struggle with this. I don't really know the technical jargon around it. It's something to do with struggling to understand emotions. It's almost like ' Why do I NEED to hug them?'. It's this struggle to emotionally connect with people.

You probably found yourself being more upset over a Cat because autistic people have obessive interests.

Autistic people struggle to emotionally connect. I know I do. You're not an unempathetic sociopath, your brain just works differently. Personally, I'd suggest forcing yourself to care a little bit more, reach out to your parents a lil more, reach out to your grandma. It's very beneficial and it will help you to connect with others a lil more

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Please ignore the comments from the ignorant, uneducated people. I have autism and its an entirely misunderstood neurodevelopmental disorder. YOU DO NOT LACK EMPATHY. I have autism and I actually have more empathy than most neurotypicals.

Please don't think you're some monster. Autistic people struggle to ' think in another person's shoes'. It doesn't mean you LACK empathy, it just means you struggle to see other peoples viewpoints aside from your own.

'My father keeps on pestering me for hugs and a handshake. I don't feel much when I hug him nor do I feel anything when I hug my mother.

As an autistic person, I struggle with this. I don't really know the technical jargon around it. It's something to do with struggling to understand emotions. It's almost like ' Why do I NEED to hug them?'. It's this struggle to emotionally connect with people.

You probably found yourself being more upset over a Cat because autistic people have obessive interests.

Autistic people struggle to emotionally connect. I know I do. You're not an unempathetic sociopath, your brain just works differently. Personally, I'd suggest forcing yourself to care a little bit more, reach out to your parents a lil more, reach out to your grandma. It's very beneficial and it will help you to connect with others a lil more
    https://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=333031

Read through this.

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=278531

This also
    • Very Important Poster

Care to tell us what empathy is then? Who mentioned being a monster? Oh that would be you.

ReputationRep:

I don't think I'm a monster, I just feel like myself.

The last time I felt empathy for another human was in 2013. It was for my ex best friend, she had a hypoglycemic shock, I was scared and worried about her, I wanted to stay by her side...

Also in 2013 my friend lost his mother, he tried to hug me, I freaked out as I didn't want to be touched. I understand why he wanted to hug me but I didn't want to be touched.

I did badly hurt my grandmother on Thursday. I took food to her and then I left. That supposedly made her feel like I didn't care about her and she wouldn't eat or drink and her blood pressure went up. (I don't understand any of that)

My mother was of course hurt by that. She said that I have something wrong with me.

I apologised to my grandmother yesterday. I told her that she was important to me and that I care about her. I don't really do that to my family, is strange to me. It feels natural doing that to my friends and of course, all cats.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.