The Student Room Group

Mechanical engineering without physics?

When I look at a university entry requirements it's says for example 3 As with mathematics and one other science. I'm currently doing A2 maths chemistry and computer science, but I'm kinda confused lol, do I need physics mainly for mechanical. If so I will just apply for chemical instead thank youuuu
Original post by C.shahriar
When I look at a university entry requirements it's says for example 3 As with mathematics and one other science. I'm currently doing A2 maths chemistry and computer science, but I'm kinda confused lol, do I need physics mainly for mechanical. If so I will just apply for chemical instead thank youuuu

You don't really need Physics but it is helpful, Maths is much more important.
You need both Math and Physics. Further maths is strongly encouraged, and unspokenly mandatory at elite universities. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

Best.
Original post by C.shahriar

If the entry requirements do not specify physics, you probably do not need it. It's helpful, though, but there are some universities that do not require it.
Mechanics in maths is more relevant to engineering than physics.
But there are pretty important depending which field of engineering and which uni. At unis that don't require physics they would likely teach some topics covered in a-level physics at a more basic level at the start.
There are some universities that don't require A-level Physics for Mechanical Engineering (or indeed other engineering courses). Such courses won't indicate A-level Physics as a requirement, and will cover the necessary content ab initio on the course.

Of course, Physics would still be helpful in such a situation, as you'll have some background in the core mechanics content, and you'll also have broader contextual knowledge of e.g. wave physics, optics, electronics and so on which may be useful and potentially relevant depending on what area you end up pursuing in MechE during your course (and to a much lesser extent, beyond).

On a separate note, Mechanical and Chemical Engineering are very different on the whole, and only overlap in a fairly small area (well, it's a significant area in terms of research etc, but in terms of undergraduate teaching there is more different than similar between the courses). While there are many roles that both a ChemE and MechE could apply for, there are equally a fair number that would realistically be limited to graduates of one or the other (or more generally, graduates of ChemE/other chemical/life science courses, or MechE/other engineering or design courses as often the split goes). You may want to look more in depth into the courses to determine which would be more suited to you. It's worth noting, there isn't a great deal of Chemistry in ChemE.
Reply 7
Original post by The_Intellect
You need both Math and Physics. Further maths is strongly encouraged, and unspokenly mandatory at elite universities. Anyone who tells you otherwise is lying.

Best.

Nope. Universities don't mislead applicants, that's a complete waste of their time and resources.

If a university doesn't require Physics then, yup, physics isn't required.

If an "elite" university says FM is helpful then that's what it is... helpful. Not mandatory. Quite different.

A third of engineers at Cambridge don't have FM at A-level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending