The Student Room Group

How can I take the A Levels as an EU national who has other A Level equivalents?

I have finished high school in Romania in 2011 and have taken the Romanian Baccalaureate ( the equivalent of A Levels). How can I proceed to take A Levels in Math, Further Maths and Physics in 2018 session? I must mention that I have done one year of studies in the UK but have suspended due to depression and anxiety. Would that have any effect on this? Many thanks!
Original post by Cristian92
I have finished high school in Romania in 2011 and have taken the Romanian Baccalaureate ( the equivalent of A Levels). How can I proceed to take A Levels in Math, Further Maths and Physics in 2018 session? I must mention that I have done one year of studies in the UK but have suspended due to depression and anxiety. Would that have any effect on this? Many thanks!

Hi, pal.

Could you elaborate on what it is you're trying to do? I mean, you need to enrol at a college or sixth form in order to complete your A-Levels unless you plan on working through distance learning. Schools have already started back now so you should be able to get in touch with them easily.
Reply 2
Like ivybridges, i'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but if you've completed A level equivalents and have proof of completion then i'm sure that most universities will judge you based on those results, so you may not have to do A levels at all. This information may be wrong though, as i'm not familiar at all with the Romanian system but it's probably worth your while inquiring into whether universities will take your Romanian Bacc qualification as it could save you an entire year of study! Best of luck!!
Reply 3

Original post by Z244
Like ivybridges, i'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do, but if you've completed A level equivalents and have proof of completion then i'm sure that most universities will judge you based on those results, so you may not have to do A levels at all. This information may be wrong though, as i'm not familiar at all with the Romanian system but it's probably worth your while inquiring into whether universities will take your Romanian Bacc qualification as it could save you an entire year of study! Best of luck!!

Indeed, eg Surrey
https://www.surrey.ac.uk/european-union/romania

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Thank you very much for your answers.

The reason I want to take the A-Levels is that I haven't got high enough results to get into a decent mechanical engineering course and also because I kind of lost my habit to study (I am 25, finished high school 6 years ago) and I need to go a bit back through everything once more anyway. I also noticed that I encounter barriers in understanding technical or even mathematical concepts in English due to not having sufficient familiarity with studying them in this language.

Lastly but not least important, I need to work for one year to save sufficient money to pay for my living costs during university studies, so I might as well use my free time for studying.

These would be my main reasons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)

If you want to take maths and further maths in summer 2018 then you need to prepare for exams in the current modular specification that will be examined for the last time in summer 2018. This means studying for and then taking 12 exams as a private candidate in any any school or college that will accept you. This could cost anywhere between £50-£100 per exam.
For physics you would have to study for the new Linear A level specification that includes a requirement for successfully completing assessment of your practical skills. While this practical endorsement does not influence your A level grade, a pass is required by most universities. Exams plus practical assessment are likely to cost in the region of £1000.

Speak to your target universities about what they require from you. An access course or a course with a foundation year might be a better option.

Quick Reply

Latest