Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people think it's bad to love yourself? Watch

Announcements
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    This one is interesting. I have personally been told so many times that I love myself. And it is supposed to be meant as an insult. Like seriously? Loving yourself is bad now??😂 I think everyone should love themselves before anyone else. How else are you meant to be happy if you don't like who you are Love yourself first and then you can love others afterwards. Thoughts? Do you love yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Because you go blind
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtomicBlonde)
    Because you go blind
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love myself! I am grateful for everything in life no matter what.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    This one is interesting. I have personally been told so many times that I love myself. And it is supposed to be meant as an insult. Like seriously? Loving yourself is bad now??😂 I think everyone should love themselves before anyone else. How else are you meant to be happy if you don't like who you are Love yourself first and then you can love others afterwards. Thoughts? Do you love yourself?
    If I don't love me who else will? :emo:

Just kidding, it's fine to love yourself as long as you don't start thinking you are superior to others and get big headed or anything.

ReputationRep:
    My social media feeds are full of girls loving themselves. That's cool and all but when they post selfie after selfie everyday on how they like this and that about themselves, their message really does become questionable. Almost like self-reassurance if I make sense. They'd post perfect touched up pictures, encouraging people to embrace their flaws yet they're not displaying their flaws; they're just feeding off the validation that social media gives them.

Edit: I went off on a tangent. To answer your question, I don't think I fully 'love myself' but I have made a lot of progress with my self confidence since last year.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Tony Stark-)
    I absolutely love myself! I am grateful for everything in life no matter what.
    That's the right attitude to have man
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninja Squirrel)
    If I don't love me who else will? :emo:

Just kidding, it's fine to love yourself as long as you don't start thinking you are superior to others and get big headed or anything.
    I will

& yes of course, I don't like people with superiority complexes

ReputationRep:
    It's become a term used in association with arrogance, which I find strange. In the eyes of some people, if you love yourself, you're overconfident and think you're really cool and very sexually attractive. It's weird, cause if a person is unconfident and say negative things about themselves, people will tell them that they should love themselves; conversely, if you're confident and you say nice things about yourself, you're a narcissist and you need to get your head out of your own arse.

Odd society we live in.

Spoiler:
    Show

As usual, PRSOM :rolleyes:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    You can have a healthy self-esteem and confidence without being a narcissist. As long as you aren't somehow using others to achieve that, it's perfectly fine.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ||TheUnknown||)
    My social media feeds are full of girls loving themselves. That's cool and all but when they post selfie after selfie everyday on how they like this and that about themselves, their message really does become questionable. Almost like self-reassurance if I make sense. They'd post perfect touched up pictures, encouraging people to embrace their flaws yet they're not displaying their flaws; they're just feeding off the validation that social media gives them.

Edit: I went off on a tangent. To answer your question, I don't think I fully 'love myself' but I have made a lot of progress with my self confidence since last year.
    That's not what I meant haha😂😂 those girls don't actually love themselves tbh, they just seek validation from others due to their insecurities.

And happy to hear that. Keep it up. You're awesome

ReputationRep:
    Ikr? People should be like me and express their love to themselves using threads
    Spoiler:
    Show
    so I can become the leader of the "Love yourself" revolution 🌚
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    It's become a term used in association with arrogance, which I find strange. In the eyes of some people, if you love yourself, you're overconfident and think you're really cool and very sexually attractive. It's weird, cause if a person is unconfident and say negative things about themselves, people will tell them that they should love themselves; conversely, if you're confident and you say nice things about yourself, you're a narcissist and you need to get your head out of your own arse.

Odd society we live in.

Spoiler:
    Show

As usual, PRSOM :rolleyes:

Basically you can't win either way:laugh: People are strange indeed
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kai's Wife)
    Ikr? People should be like me and express their love to themselves using threads
    Spoiler:
    Show

so I can become the leader of the "Love yourself" revolution 🌚
    Okay but you took it a bit too far😂😂

ReputationRep:
    Because they don't love themselves - a simple case of envy.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    You can have a healthy self-esteem and confidence without being a narcissist. As long as you aren't somehow using others to achieve that, it's perfectly fine.
    True

ReputationRep:
    That's not what I meant haha😂😂 those girls don't actually love themselves tbh, they just seek validation from others due to their insecurities.

And happy to hear that. Keep it up. You're awesome
    Haha, I realised I was lowkey ranting about something that wasn't really related to the thread topic. Danke schon, you too man. You come up with the best thread topics, another reason to love yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Okay but you took it a bit too far😂😂
    Hmmm did i 🤔
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhymeAsylumForever)
    Because they don't love themselves - a simple case of envy.
    Possibly. But not always the case. A lot of the times is simply ignorance. And hypocrisy. For instance, I knew a very big headed guy with a superiority complex yet he always told people to get over themselves. Like LOL

ReputationRep:
    Interstingly...I am getting there. Sure there'll be things I know I can improve, but lately my self hate is dying out.
    Loving onself and being selfish or feeling superior are two different things.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.