The Student Room Group

22 years old and my hair is thinning to the point of baldness.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JamesN88
Wear a wig.

a wig?

but its not natural hair :frown:
my confidence is all gone

i am going to feel suicidal again
Original post by study beats
where am i gonna get the money from ??

its in thousands of pounds

get a job - if you already have one - cut back on luxuries and save up
i will see if i can try the onion juice

i have been crying myself to sleep and i am really depressed because of this

i have also been unable to leave the house

I guarantee that in a few months, you will look back and think about all the time you wasted thinking about this when you could have been doing something more productive.
You should join some clubs and get involved in activities or get a job, as that will occupy your mind, and stop you from thinking about all this.
In the end, there's no way to be sure of the future. This may just be temporary, and you just need to improve your diet or something.
You won't ever get all this time you wasted back.
Look, male pattern baldness is hereditary and irreversible. Your hair is not going to grow back no matter what 'snake oil' potions or medicines people will claim work.

Compare yourself to others who suffer far worse fates: cancers which rob the ability to have children, loss of limbs, blindness, deafness, mute, body deformation, impotence, congenital conditions, cerebral conditions....the list is endless. Life does not end. People cope and still go on to great things with fulfilling contented lives.

Apologies for being so blunt but: stop feeling sorry for yourself and put things in perspective, then quit whining and get on with life.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by zero766
Wikipedia is not the most reliable source. Don't get me wrong, it's useful, but always use other sources too.

If you do a google search for "post finasteride syndrome" there are some pretty scary stories.... true or not? I don't know.

Somehow I think the heavily moderated, cross referenced, and unceasingly fact checked source of wikipedia is better than anecdotal stories on the wider internet.

Also the relevant information I was referencing on wikipedia was in turn cited from the American Journal of Clinical Dermatology, which is definitely going to be at least a reasonably reliably source.
Going abroad for a hair transplant could cost you significantly less than in the UK.

"The average cost of a hair transplant operation in Turkey ranges from $1,700 and $2,000, while the same operation in Britain or the U.S. could cost up to $25,000."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in-sight/wp/2015/09/04/looking-to-get-a-hair-transplant-this-country-leads-in-the-business-of-harvesting-hair/?utm_term=.1da1a02b86f8
Your too reliant on your hair, embrace a beard and either shave your head bald or stop giving a **** about it. Plenty of people pull off this look
a wig?

but its not natural hair :frown:

Dude it is what it is, your hair is in full retreat and there's nothing you can do about it.

Spoiler

Bro, just embrace the bald. None of these home remedies and expensive medicines are going to cure your hair loss. At best they may slow it down, but you're fighting against the inevitable.

Dress well, groom yourself, work out, project confidence, and it won't be an issue. Girls won't care.
Firstly, go to the doctors and get a blood test to cbeck vitamin levels etc. It's okay trying things to get it to grow back, but you need to know what is causing it first.
Good luck with that though! My hair has been thinning for years and the doctors didn't really look into it much. They just put it down to stress. I'm 23 :frown:
Original post by uberteknik
Look, male pattern baldness is hereditary and irreversible. Your hair is not going to grow back no matter what 'snake oil' potions or medicines people will claim work.

Compare yourself to others who suffer far worse fates: cancers which rob the ability to have children, loss of limbs, blindness, deafness, mute, body deformation, impotence, congenital conditions, cerebral conditions....the list is endless. Life does not end. People cope and still go on to great things with fulfilling contented lives.

Apologies for being so blunt but: stop feeling sorry for yourself and put things in perspective, then quit whining and get on with life.

Original post by Dandaman1
Bro, just embrace the bald. None of these home remedies and expensive medicines are going to cure your hair loss. At best they may slow it down, but you're fighting against the inevitable.

Dress well, groom yourself, work out, project confidence, and it won't be an issue. Girls won't care.

have you ever tried the remedies that your claiming they dont work?

if you take good care of your hair then you will see the results
(edited 6 years ago)
It may be linked to your health? Maybe go to the doctors and get it checked out or try living a healthier lifestyle drink more water and find a suitable hair care routine for you
I have a friend who's hair did the same around that age. He shaved it, grew a beard, and rocks the look tbh
(edited 6 years ago)
have you ever tried the remedies that your claiming they dont work?

if you take good care of your hair then you will see the results

There is no clinical evidence that vitamins, onions or dancing in the rain with a toad on your head will have any effect on male pattern baldness. I've tried a range of different shampoos and home remedies but these did nothing accept cost me money or make my head smell. If it was that simple, we wouldn't see bald people, would we?

Baldness is due to genetics and hormones. Some expensive medicines and treatments can help slow it down or stop it in its very early stages, but unless you are willing to spend thousands to prevent something completely normal, you may as well just accept it. It seriously isn't a big deal.

You are in control of your own self esteem. You can either let hair loss get you down (women don't like depressed crybabies) or you can man up and accept it like the other billion balding men on this planet. That is honestly the best advice I - or anyone - can give you.
my hair was really long and i could not notice much hair thinning as my long hair covered it up

however when i went to get a haircut, i realized just how thin my hair was and you could see my scalp

the barber said i have lost about 60% percent of my hair from the top....

i have been feeling really depressed lately.

my life is already a mess, i suffer from a severe mental disorder.

my confidence levels have dropped , i am crippled and unable to leave my home.

i miss my hair when i was 18 years old, my thick and luscious locks :frown:..

what do i do? i dont have money for a hair transplant...

i take 5 different kinds of vitamins for hair, i use expensive hair loss shampoos , i use hair loss liquids on my hair...i use hair oils....i dont use products in my hair..... i dont tower dry my hair....i wash my hair with cold water...i dont brush my hair too hard...

i have tried everything !! what do i do :frown:

i feel awful

Try using everything natural

Shampoo...get African black soap
Conditioner...deep conditioner instead with Jamaican black castor oil, vit e oil, tea tree oil, egg, coconut oil, mayonnaise (search it up and find ur best combo)

Then oil your scalp with warm Jamaican black castor oil, vit e oil, tea tree oil, and wat other oil of your choice, while tilting your hair
Original post by Dandaman1
There is no clinical evidence that vitamins, onions or dancing in the rain with a toad on your head will have any effect on male pattern baldness. I've tried a range of different shampoos and home remedies but these did nothing accept cost me money or make my head smell. If it was that simple, we wouldn't see bald people, would we?

Baldness is due to genetics and hormones. Some expensive medicines and treatments can help slow it down or stop it in its very early stages, but unless you are willing to spend thousands to prevent something completely normal, you may as well just accept it. It seriously isn't a big deal.

You are in control of your own self esteem. You can either let hair loss get you down (women don't like depressed crybabies) or you can man up and accept it like the other billion balding men on this planet. That is honestly the best advice I - or anyone - can give you.

your doing something wrong then unfortunately , maybe fix your attitude first

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending