Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am looking for an OSCE book that provides you with example stations that have a lengthy candidate briefing for students to read in that 1 minute before entering a station.

Most OSCE books i've seen only give a 3-4 line straightforward set of instructions e.g. "Mr Jones is a 34y old man who presents with a headache. Please take a history and present to the examiner your differential diagnoses"

However, I am looking for a book that matches my med school's Final Year OSCE style of giving a fairly lengthy paragraph with 3-4 bullet points of things you have to do inside the station +/- investigation results like FBC / U&E.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EternalDoom)
    Hi,

I am looking for an OSCE book that provides you with example stations that have a lengthy candidate briefing for students to read in that 1 minute before entering a station.

Most OSCE books i've seen only give a 3-4 line straightforward set of instructions e.g. "Mr Jones is a 34y old man who presents with a headache. Please take a history and present to the examiner your differential diagnoses"

However, I am looking for a book that matches my med school's Final Year OSCE style of giving a fairly lengthy paragraph with 3-4 bullet points of things you have to do inside the station +/- investigation results like FBC / U&E.

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Our med school finals clinical exam isn't like any other med school so we couldn't find any resources either - we ended up making our own scenarios and it's actually quite helpful (helps you think about the pure knowledge stuff that you need to construct the scenario on top of just the clinical history/exam). Have you thought about doing that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beska)
    Our med school finals clinical exam isn't like any other med school so we couldn't find any resources either - we ended up making our own scenarios and it's actually quite helpful (helps you think about the pure knowledge stuff that you need to construct the scenario on top of just the clinical history/exam). Have you thought about doing that?
    Yeah I've done that sometimes with OSCE practice, but it can be quite time-consuming creating scenarios and i was wondering if anyone knew of any textbooks that offer longer station instructions.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I found this book really good, it had pretty detailed histories in and the mark scheme had some stretching questions about investigations/follow-up things that sound like they sort-of fit the bill:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/OSCE-Cases-.../dp/1848290632

Regardless that book was the best OSCE station-based one I used, IMO. That and Cases for PACES - although that's not an OSCE book per se if you're working with the right people you can make it OSCE-ish and if you know what's in there you're sorted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seaholme)
    I found this book really good, it had pretty detailed histories in and the mark scheme had some stretching questions about investigations/follow-up things that sound like they sort-of fit the bill:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/OSCE-Cases-.../dp/1848290632

Regardless that book was the best OSCE station-based one I used, IMO. That and Cases for PACES - although that's not an OSCE book per se if you're working with the right people you can make it OSCE-ish and if you know what's in there you're sorted.
    Tried using that book, but it was a bit awkward. The patient briefing is very long and detailed and often when the student asked the question, the patient would have to spend 5-10 secs scanning the paragraphs of patient info. So i think it was a bit hard to use in the practical sense. It could be doable if the patient really familiarises themselves with their info but not the ideal choice. I wanted to see if there were any books with long 'student' briefings for the 1 min reading before you enter a station but I don't think there are any.

(Original post by Beska)
    I decided to go along with your approach Beska. Although it's a little time-consuming to create stations, i agree that putting the thought into them makes you really consolidate the knowledge in the specific topic you're creating the station on. In my group of 3, if we all prepare 1-2 stations each for our weekly osce practice, it actually isn't so bad and works out pretty well!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.