Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to stop feeling lonely... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I don't have any close friends, and the more I think about my friendship situation, the lonelier I feel. Not one of my 'friends' actually care about me (this is not me speculating, I know this from their behaviour towards me).

Thankfully I have a good relationship with my parents, so at least in that respect I don't feel lonely when I'm at home, but I find it hard to forget about how I feel at school when I get home.

For example, today I spent the whole evening thinking about how lonely I really am. I talk to people in classes and at lunchtime I guess but I don't have a friend(s) that I know I'll have lunch with everyday or a friend(s) who i can confide in if I'm feeling down or I have a problem (simply because they couldn't care less).

How can I stop feeling like this? How can I become content with my situation? Because right now I'm overthinking everything and making myself feel horrible :/
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymous270)
    So I don't have any close friends, and the more I think about my friendship situation, the lonelier I feel. Not one of my 'friends' actually care about me (this is not me speculating, I know this from their behaviour towards me).

Thankfully I have a good relationship with my parents, so at least in that respect I don't feel lonely when I'm at home, but I find it hard to forget about how I feel at school when I get home.

For example, today I spent the whole evening thinking about how lonely I really am. I talk to people in classes and at lunchtime I guess but I don't have a friend(s) that I know I'll have lunch with everyday or a friend(s) who i can confide in if I'm feeling down or I have a problem (simply because they couldn't care less).

How can I stop feeling like this? How can I become content with my situation? Because right now I'm overthinking everything and making myself feel horrible :/
    You don't need friends to be happy. You got your parents as you said. Learn to enjoy your own company more and this won't be an issue. Cheer up

ReputationRep:
    Have you considered mindfulness?

If you want to fix what you perceive as the root cause of your loneliness though, then you can either try to force your way into an existing friendship group, befriend other people who feel similarly to you, or wait until college which is where you can effectively hit the reset button on your friendships and start over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    Have you considered mindfulness?

If you want to fix what you perceive as the root cause of your loneliness though, then you can either try to force your way into an existing friendship group, befriend other people who feel similarly to you, or wait until college which is where you can effectively hit the reset button on your friendships and start over.
    I'm already in college - I guess I'm waiting for uni now for the chance to hit the reset button...

I don't think fixing the situation as you've suggested will work for me, considering I've been in the same school with the same people for years but I'll definitely read up on mindfulness thanks for the advice!

ReputationRep:
    I'm already in college - I guess I'm waiting for uni now for the chance to hit the reset button...

I don't think fixing the situation as you've suggested will work for me, considering I've been in the same school with the same people for years but I'll definitely read up on mindfulness thanks for the advice!
    No worries. I had to wait for university to do the same thing and it worked out just fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    You don't need friends to be happy. You got your parents as you said. Learn to enjoy your own company more and this won't be an issue. Cheer up
    I'll try I normally don't dwell on this too much but I guess today I've been feeling particularly down about it... i think seeing everyone else (at least on the surface) have really tight knit friendship groups or really close friends just makes me feel worse about myself. Also the fact that my supposedly 'good' friends have not been behaving particularly nicely to me lately probably adds to my complete miserableness today😔 hopefully I'll feel a bit better tomorrow... thank you for your reply by the way
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I'll try I normally don't dwell on this too much but I guess today I've been feeling particularly down about it... i think seeing everyone else (at least on the surface) have really tight knit friendship groups or really close friends just makes me feel worse about myself. Also the fact that my supposedly 'good' friends have not been behaving particularly nicely to me lately probably adds to my complete miserableness today😔 hopefully I'll feel a bit better tomorrow... thank you for your reply by the way
    No worries. You sound like a great person that deserves to be happy

the 'reset' won't happen, unfortunately, you need to do it now or never. dont be like me who keep delay shits and it never happen.

I made a similar post to this earlier ' lonely and unaccomplished'

(Original post by shameful_burrito)
    No worries. You sound like a great person that deserves to be happy
    Thank you feeling a bit down at the moment because people I'm meant to be friends with are knowingly making me feel really bad about myself. I don't even know what being 'friends' means when people are so inconsiderate towards your feelings :/ going to try to stay positive though...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thank you feeling a bit down at the moment because people I'm meant to be friends with are knowingly making me feel really bad about myself. I don't even know what being 'friends' means when people are so inconsiderate towards your feelings :/ going to try to stay positive though...
    Find new friends. Doesn't sound like the ones you have right now are really your "friends" if you know what I mean

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.