The Student Room Group

Dropping out

Hiya, I am a bit lost at the moment about what to do about uni. I have just started my second year of Nursing in England, however I am originally from Ireland and I really miss home. I am miserable here, its affecting my mental health. I dont know whether to drop out now and get a job for the rest of the year and apply to a uni closer to home to start again from first year in Sept 2018, or whether to just try and stick out 2 more years here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thanks for replying! I know I should probably just man up and stick it out....Ill give it a wee while and see how it goes :smile:
as youve just started second year could you see if you could transfer to ireland.
Reply 3
I would really urge you to go into University and speak to your Personal Tutor/Course Leader. They can offer you some really great advice and help you access resources that may help. They would not want you to be feeling like this, and would really wish to support you to continue studying. I wouldn't advise dropping out, you've completed a year and clearly enjoy Nursing as you mention you would want to continue in the future. There are many students who feel homesick, I can assure you that you won't be the only one, but you shouldn't have to continually feel miserable. Have you spoken to your family and friends back home? How do they feel?
everyone will agree your second year is the worst. if you can cope with it.the 3rd year is a lot easier as your becoming confident
Reply 5
Original post by paulbarlow
as youve just started second year could you see if you could transfer to ireland.

I tried to transfer but because I study Nursing is was really complicated to transfer because the modules on my current course, didnt match with the modules they were studying in the uni closer to my home if that makes sense haha? It was really complicated anyways and so I thought aw ill just try my best and push through, but idk...i really am miserable
Reply 6
Original post by jerromem
I would really urge you to go into University and speak to your Personal Tutor/Course Leader. They can offer you some really great advice and help you access resources that may help. They would not want you to be feeling like this, and would really wish to support you to continue studying. I wouldn't advise dropping out, you've completed a year and clearly enjoy Nursing as you mention you would want to continue in the future. There are many students who feel homesick, I can assure you that you won't be the only one, but you shouldn't have to continually feel miserable. Have you spoken to your family and friends back home? How do they feel?

Ive spoke to my personal tutor last year about my homesickness but tbf they werent much help....they just told me to try and hold out, itll fly by...so i tried that but I still dont feel any better. Im scared to tell my parents how I feel because theyd be really really disappointed in me, I mentioned it to my sister about dropping out and she said im being stupid and to man up...so i really dont know :frown:
It's heavy. You can mention it to whoever at Uni but the sad thing is most student support services don't give a **** and they can't help in this case anyway. All they will say is "stick it out", "it gets better", "have reminders of home" etc. All they will offer is clichés.

Are there any other Unis closER to home that module match? If not this one then another one? If not then it's unfortunate, and Idk if it's different for nursing but I thought once you had the second year of funding, things become financially difficult?
if you do you will regret it. trust me it becomes easier and easier to give up. what interests you hobbies ect. do you have a faith.i know there are decent irish social groups in manchester there may be some near you.
Reply 9
Original post by somemightsay888
It's heavy. You can mention it to whoever at Uni but the sad thing is most student support services don't give a **** and they can't help in this case anyway. All they will say is "stick it out", "it gets better", "have reminders of home" etc. All they will offer is clichés.

Are there any other Unis closER to home that module match? If not this one then another one? If not then it's unfortunate, and Idk if it's different for nursing but I thought once you had the second year of funding, things become financially difficult?

I cant speak for all unis but the student services in mines are rubbish...thats all theg say exactly!! Things will get better, etc etc etc haha. I tried last year to transfer, I come from Northern Ireland and only 2 unis offer Nursing so no they dont match :frown: but im willing to start fron first year again in the uni in my city
Reply 10
if you do you will regret it. trust me it becomes easier and easier to give up. what interests you hobbies ect. do you have a faith.i know there are decent irish social groups in manchester there may be some near you.

I might regret it....but I might regret staying for another 2 years if im miserable. Ive got noone over here, my flatmates I get along with but they never want to do anything when I suggest we all go out etc...and Ive tried meeting people in class and stuff but it is hard. I spend everynight crying myself to sleep...I have my family, friends, my boyfriend, everyone back home, Im alot happier there
Original post by Lauralee97
Hiya, I am a bit lost at the moment about what to do about uni. I have just started my second year of Nursing in England, however I am originally from Ireland and I really miss home. I am miserable here, its affecting my mental health. I dont know whether to drop out now and get a job for the rest of the year and apply to a uni closer to home to start again from first year in Sept 2018, or whether to just try and stick out 2 more years here

Dropping out wouldn't be the best, im sure you've worked so hard to get there. Try and make your uni room feel alot more homely, have pictures of family and friends up; talk to family, skype them. OR maybe ask a family member to visit you? that might help, try spending the day with them, or a few days if you can.
Reply 12
Original post by Humat852
Dropping out wouldn't be the best, im sure you've worked so hard to get there. Try and make your uni room feel alot more homely, have pictures of family and friends up; talk to family, skype them. OR maybe ask a family member to visit you? that might help, try spending the day with them, or a few days if you can.

I have done all this, Ive done my room up all nice, fairy lights everywhere haha, I actually quite like my room! Its hard trying to get my family or friends to come because flights from Ireland can be expensive at times and they need to ask for time off work etc, Id feel bad...
I might regret it....but I might regret staying for another 2 years if im miserable. Ive got noone over here, my flatmates I get along with but they never want to do anything when I suggest we all go out etc...and Ive tried meeting people in class and stuff but it is hard. I spend everynight crying myself to sleep...I have my family, friends, my boyfriend, everyone back home, Im alot happier there

then if i was your dad i would say come home. a extra year study is better than being so lonely. it could be your depressed see your doctor. depression makes every thing worse. speak to your tutor get some leave head home and think.
Reply 14
then if i was your dad i would say come home. a extra year study is better than being so lonely. it could be your depressed see your doctor. depression makes every thing worse. speak to your tutor get some leave head home and think.

I honestly think Im a bit depressed and I know this is going to sound really stupid but Im embarrassed to go see someone about it or tell my family or friends...My worst fear would be coming home and not getting a job and not being accepted by the uni here...I suppose if I didnt get accepted here I could defer my place in England for the year and sort myself out and head back next year. Sorry im waffling abit...my head and life are just complete messes haha
dont be. depression is common. even in the normal population. its worse for nurses and nursing students. you see horrible stuff your studying hard, your isolated. its one reason the old nurses homes had matrons in charge to support the struggling nurse.

dont worry about getting a new course its clear you can do it. occupational health are the ideal folks to talk to they are experts in there field. getting help will be your first step in beating this.
Reply 16
dont be. depression is common. even in the normal population. its worse for nurses and nursing students. you see horrible stuff your studying hard, your isolated. its one reason the old nurses homes had matrons in charge to support the struggling nurse.

dont worry about getting a new course its clear you can do it. occupational health are the ideal folks to talk to they are experts in there field. getting help will be your first step in beating this.

The thing about it is that I dont even have a doctor's here so I cant go see anyone about it haha...ill have to wait till i go back home.

i have alot of experience especially from completing one year so Id have no problem getting an interview...I just crumble in interviews, I can never think of what to say and string sentences together and make myself sound stupid haha!! Id feel like an absolute failure if I dropped out and didnt get a place at the uni at home
I cant speak for all unis but the student services in mines are rubbish...thats all theg say exactly!! Things will get better, etc etc etc haha. I tried last year to transfer, I come from Northern Ireland and only 2 unis offer Nursing so no they dont match :frown: but im willing to start fron first year again in the uni in my city

Many don't give a **** tbh, mental health services in the UK are a total joke. If you definitely have a job lined up I'd drop out tbh you have that security and you won't waste the year doing nothing. If you don't have one lined up then idk it's more difficult really as you might risk not getting one and screwing up finance altogether.
Reply 18
Original post by somemightsay888
Many don't give a **** tbh, mental health services in the UK are a total joke. If you definitely have a job lined up I'd drop out tbh you have that security and you won't waste the year doing nothing. If you don't have one lined up then idk it's more difficult really as you might risk not getting one and screwing up finance altogether.

I havent got a job...:frown: thats why Im scared to drop out
you have a years nurse training. you will walk into a care job. go home get sorted take time be sure you feel better and then reapply. you will feel better but it needs treating and support. i dont need to tell you this your a second year nurse. first rule care for yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest