Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Political stance of this website Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Are people who post on this forum are more left-leaning or right-leaning, on a socio-economic scale? Especially goes out to the Britbongs who frequent. I don't really feel like trawling through dozens of threads to find out. Then again, you might not be bothered to give me a straight answer, but that's fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Steve)
    Are people who post on this forum are more left-leaning or right-leaning, on a socio-economic scale? Especially goes out to the Britbongs who frequent. I don't really feel like trawling through dozens of threads to find out. Then again, you might not be bothered to give me a straight answer, but that's fair enough.
    They are more left leaning

ReputationRep:
    Left-leaning.

ReputationRep:
    More people lean left as they are younger

More left-leaning than general population, but far more right-leaning than the general population of their age groups.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers, friends. Another enquiry, if I may: how touchy are subjects such as race, immigration, poverty and so on here? As in, are people easily offended by genuinely serious discussion (and mild to "dank" banter) such that one could get banned for something playful or innocuous? Asking for a friend.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the answers, friends. Another enquiry, if I may: how touchy are subjects such as race, immigration, poverty and so on here? As in, are people easily offended by genuinely serious discussion (and mild to "dank" banter) such that one could get banned for something playful or innocuous? Asking for a friend.
    Yes the left get really butt hurt just like in real life
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Race, immigration, religion etc are debated heavily on the forums and people are encouraged to get involved in the debates but to just be polite when getting your point across. See the Community Rules for what is and isn't allowed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D3LLI5)
    They are more left leaning
    Interesting that this is the conclusion. How do you know? Have you polled everyone?

ReputationRep:
    TSR has always been left-leaning, it was up to TSR Ed Miliband would have been PM.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Interesting that this is the conclusion. How do you know? Have you polled everyone?
    From experience
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Yes the left get really butt hurt just like in real life
    Lol, as if the right don't.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    More left-leaning than general population, but far more right-leaning than the general population of their age groups.
    Indeed. I find it strange that so many alt-right light types have joined here.

At times this place seems like the comment section of the Daiy Mail

(Original post by Bornblue)
    Indeed. I find it strange that so many alt-right light types have joined here.

At times this place seems like the comment section of the Daiy Mail
    Why are you surprised? TSR has roughly the same demographics as 4chan (except of course far fewer continental Europeans and Americans).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Why are you surprised? TSR has roughly the same demographics as 4chan (except of course far fewer continental Europeans and Americans).
    I think it's fair to say that the majority of TSR are left leaning but that the right wing folks are a lot more vocal on here.

Just surprised in that the vast majority of 18-24 years olds are left wing but that's not reflected on here really.

I'm not talking about the intellectual right wingers, but rather the Daily Mail comment section ones.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, as if the right don't.
    Not in the same way or to the same level, we all know the left is like a hair trigger
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Not in the same way or to the same level, we all know the left is like a hair trigger
    Disagree. There seems to be far more threads on here moaning about feminism/multiculturalism/diversity etc etc than there are by lefites going on about bigotry.

ReputationRep:
    I’m offended by that, please delete your post

We have both wings present on tar, if hazard that most people lean towards the left end of the spectrum but we do have some quite vocal people on the right as well, some quite smart and some not so

I think it's fair to say that the majority of TSR are left leaning but that the right wing folks are a lot more vocal on here.

Just surprised in that the vast majority of 18-24 years olds are left wing but that's not reflected on here really.

I'm not talking about the intellectual right wingers, but rather the Daily Mail comment section ones.
    TSR isn't just a cross-section of the 18-24 demographic.

The average 18-24 year old doesn't show quite so much disdain for the arts, nor is so disappointed at getting a mere 99% on their Additional Further Extended Maths paper, nor so obsessed with Oxbridge.

I think it is fair to say that a lot of people who are driven to talk on TSR are the people who don't fit in in real life.

When it comes to politics, in the 18-24 year old demographic, those people are the Tories, nationalists, and other deplorables.

As for a lot of them being daily mail type commentators, well, most of the best right-wing debators have been banned. A few of the best left-wing debators too, but TSR's increasingly safe space oriented moderation hit the right hardest for obvious reasons.

*the student "left"

The left of old was generally pro free speech. The student "left" hasn't even read a word of Marx, they just think free stuff sounds good. And they care much more about diversity than actual class equality. Just make the top 1% racially and gender diverse, and the student "left" would be happy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.