Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Uber loses licence to operate in London Watch

• TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Uber will not be issued a new private hire license, Transport for London has said.
    TfL has concluded the ride-hailing app firm was not fit and proper to hold a private hire operator licence.

As many as 40,000 Uber drivers will potentially be now forced off the city's streets, in what is a shock ruling from TfL. They cite that there are a "number of issues which have potential public safety and security implications."

Wow. :eek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-41358640

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...?utm_hp_ref=uk

ReputationRep:
    What, is MI5 afraid a bunch of ISIS cucks are going to hijack Uber cars and use them to run people over on Blackfriars Bridge or ram them into the Shard like Al-Qaeda did with AA11 or UA175? Ridiculous decision.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Steve)
    What, is MI5 afraid a bunch of ISIS cucks are going to hijack Uber cars and use them to run people over on Blackfriars Bridge or ram them into the Shard like Al-Qaeda did with AA11 or UA175? Ridiculous decision.
    There were serious problems, but why not force them to increase standards rather than ban them.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Providing this does mean the end of Uber in London, that is such a blow. Such an affordable way for students to get around, particularly on nights out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrDystopia)
    Providing this does mean the end of Uber in London, that is such a blow. Such an affordable way for students to get around, particularly on nights out.
    I’d rather pay for a proper taxi than risk getting into an Uber, anyone can be a driver for them. It’s very dodgy, I’m glad they’ve lost their licence.

ReputationRep:
    People only become uber drivers in London to get taxi status and avoid paying the right amount of tax. This is a good thing and people will have to pay correctly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    I’d rather pay for a proper taxi than risk getting into an Uber, anyone can be a driver for them. It’s very dodgy, I’m glad they’ve lost their licence.
    They still have 21 days to appeal this, during which they can operate

ReputationRep:
    Licence
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Horrible idea imo. Services that "play by the rules" are less efficient anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Who regulates them? How secure are they?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glassapple)
    I'd rather get in a car driven by someone im expecting, with the whole journey tracked and pre-paid for.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Pay your full and correct taxes or GTFO.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Life_peer)
    Licence, you American airhead.
    Interchangeable, bad habit from uni :lol:

P.S Still not an air ambulance. :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beiber25)
    There were serious problems, but why not force them to increase standards rather than ban them.
    Because it demonstrates the TfL isn't going to roll over.

ReputationRep:
    Great news for London taxi drivers! Delighted.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I just read about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Pay your full and correct taxes or GTFO.
    This, **** Uber
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Great news for London taxi drivers! Delighted.
    Was going to say something about this after seeing on TV something about black taxis on stuff like uber a year ago.

ReputationRep:
    Very very torn on this. There are lies, failings and dishonesties all around.

Firstly, the background to their explosion onto the market is laughable. Tell a group of hardworking, committed, well-protected (thanks to their own efforts) workers that they're about to have their market undercut by a San Fran technocrat at the drop of a hat. It was irresponsible for the powers that be to have allowed Uber and their race-to-the-bottom tactics with such little control.

Secondly, loads of complaints are coming in from students concerned for their "safety". Admit it, it's now less convenient, nowt more. London is an extremely safe city and the answer to crime is tackling and prevention, not avoidance. Nights out are a luxury too - if you really can't afford it, stay at home and bring the cans in.

However, the LTDA have acted like Luddites. They needed to modernise and accept that an eventual undercutting was inevitable. Their "concern" for safety is so insincere it's excruciating to hear their cries. They've tried to strike without a monopoly, which is laughable. Consumers don't like and don't sympathise with striking. If they can directly hit you, they will! That's why the Tube and Southern strikes are effective, because commuters have no alternative.

On balance, I probably want Uber back. I also want fewer lies though.

ReputationRep:
    So I can't call an uber? Pissed off tbh

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.