Roseexx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
does anyone know of any books or articles that show historians interpretation on this question: how effectively did Nazi policies towards young people achieve their goals? I am struggling to find more interpretations I need at least 2 more! Thank you
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Roseexx)
does anyone know of any books or articles that show historians interpretation on this question: how effectively did Nazi policies towards young people achieve their goals? I am struggling to find more interpretations I need at least 2 more! Thank you
Just look for articles and books on Hitler youth.

The way to get different perspectives is to look at who is writing it, based on what experience an when it was written.

So I would look for the following:

Primary sources.

Actual German children- first hand accounts
German civilian.
Nazi.
Allied

Historians - German, Allied, Russian, Jewish.

Time periods

40s

50s, 60's

Modern.

Look to see what they said an whether there are any revisionist views.

Theres plenty of books and articles on Hitler youth. You are going to find a lot of first hadn accounts and near experiences where they believe it was effective, as well as some who said they were never persuaded.

You need to contrast those with historical perspectives where we can look back and see just how effective they were. That means what people thought at the timewould have a different perspective on events than someone 70 years later who can see the bigger picture. Both perspectives are unique.
Roseexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Just look for articles and books on Hitler youth.

The way to get different perspectives is to look at who is writing it, based on what experience an when it was written.

So I would look for the following:

Primary sources.

Actual German children- first hand accounts
German civilian.
Nazi.
Allied

Historians - German, Allied, Russian, Jewish.

Time periods

40s

50s, 60's

Modern.

Look to see what they said an whether there are any revisionist views.

Theres plenty of books and articles on Hitler youth. You are going to find a lot of first hadn accounts and near experiences where they believe it was effective, as well as some who said they were never persuaded.

You need to contrast those with historical perspectives where we can look back and see just how effective they were. That means what people thought at the timewould have a different perspective on events than someone 70 years later who can see the bigger picture. Both perspectives are unique.
okay, thankyou so much! would you say this is a historians perspective on the question - saying that they think nazi policies were successful? (it is attached)
Attached files
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Roseexx)
okay, thankyou so much! would you say this is a historians perspective on the question - saying that they think nazi policies were successful? (it is attached)
Kind of, it depends how you use it

The questions is how successful were the policies.

Understand what the policies were- what were the aims.
Understand how successful they were- what measurements have you got of achieving those aims?
Point out the finer details.

For instance they may have given blind obedience, but from that it looks like they never really believed what they were doing, when in fact an objective wasnt just to get obedience, but for them to do it because they believed in it. Theres a difference between being brainwashed into doing your homework and doing it because you believe its right. You might get the same result on the surface and maybe thats all they needed, but it wouldnt be as long lasting as someone who believes in their cause.

As to your question

The author is saying they were successful to a point in brainwashing and hes changed his mind viewing them as victims in their own right. Yes the nazis brainwashed and got obedience, but it didnt last. So in he short term (whilst the regime existed) maybe, but longer term probably not. That may be to do with losing the war though. Things are rarely black and white and its your ability to be more precise and see all the intricacies that will get you a better essay and more marks.

Has that confused you more?
Roseexx
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Kind of, it depends how you use it

The questions is how successful were the policies.

Understand what the policies were- what were the aims.
Understand how successful they were- what measurements have you got of achieving those aims?
Point out the finer details.

For instance they may have given blind obedience, but from that it looks like they never really believed what they were doing, when in fact an objective wasnt just to get obedience, but for them to do it because they believed in it. Theres a difference between being brainwashed into doing your homework and doing it because you believe its right. You might get the same result on the surface and maybe thats all they needed, but it wouldnt be as long lasting as someone who believes in their cause.

As to your question

The author is saying they were successful to a point in brainwashing and hes changed his mind viewing them as victims in their own right. Yes the nazis brainwashed and got obedience, but it didnt last. So in he short term (whilst the regime existed) maybe, but longer term probably not. That may be to do with losing the war though. Things are rarely black and white and its your ability to be more precise and see all the intricacies that will get you a better essay and more marks.

Has that confused you more?
yeah i kinda get it now thanks!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed