Is it normal to have braces at my age? Watch

Know Your Enemy
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Well, I don't really know if this thread belongs in the Health forum (apologies if it doesn't) but I'm just wondering if it's actually normal to have braces at my age. I'm currently 16 and I've been in Year 12 for about three weeks. Last year, I was referred to the orthodontist by my dentist, and my first appointment was supposed to be December last year. However, my mother cancelled this appointment (still don't know why) so the appointment was re-scheduled for March 2017. Well, unfortunately this appointment was also cancelled because I had a PiXL English mock, so I was given a third appointment for June. It just so happens that this appointment was also cancelled because it was on the day of my Unit 3: History and Unit 2: Maths GCSEs. So I've had to wait until this week to actually see the orthodontist and have my first appointment.
I've never really thought about it before, but I'm starting to feel that 16 is a bit old to have braces when most people have them younger and have their braces removed at around my age. So I'm starting to wonder whether it's actually normal for a person my age to only just have braces (I'm 17 in December and my orthodontist said starting treatment at my age isn't ideal because there's little growth time left in my jaw). It's just that I've only been referred to the orthodontist so late because I've missed so many dental appointments; my mother didn't take me to the dentist between the ages of 8 and 14, and I was nearly 15 when I saw the dentist for the first time since Year 3. It doesn't help that the other patients at the orthodontist were all younger than me.
I'm just wondering if anybody else has actually had a similar experience of only just getting braces at my age (or maybe even older). Like, is it normal for a 16-year-old to only just have braces?
Lychee628
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hey_Its_Cerian)
Well, I don't really know if this thread belongs in the Health forum (apologies if it doesn't) but I'm just wondering if it's actually normal to have braces at my age. I'm currently 16 and I've been in Year 12 for about three weeks. Last year, I was referred to the orthodontist by my dentist, and my first appointment was supposed to be December last year. However, my mother cancelled this appointment (still don't know why) so the appointment was re-scheduled for March 2017. Well, unfortunately this appointment was also cancelled because I had a PiXL English mock, so I was given a third appointment for June. It just so happens that this appointment was also cancelled because it was on the day of my Unit 3: History and Unit 2: Maths GCSEs. So I've had to wait until this week to actually see the orthodontist and have my first appointment.
I've never really thought about it before, but I'm starting to feel that 16 is a bit old to have braces when most people have them younger and have their braces removed at around my age. So I'm starting to wonder whether it's actually normal for a person my age to only just have braces (I'm 17 in December and my orthodontist said starting treatment at my age isn't ideal because there's little growth time left in my jaw). It's just that I've only been referred to the orthodontist so late because I've missed so many dental appointments; my mother didn't take me to the dentist between the ages of 8 and 14, and I was nearly 15 when I saw the dentist for the first time since Year 3. It doesn't help that the other patients at the orthodontist were all younger than me.
I'm just wondering if anybody else has actually had a similar experience of only just getting braces at my age (or maybe even older). Like, is it normal for a 16-year-old to only just have braces?
Im 19 and I have braces :rofl: they actually suit me so idm :lol:
Anonymous #1
Report 2 years ago
I'm 17 and my birthdays in December too, I got my braces at the age of 17 in January and although I'm one of the oldest to have braces (or so I thought) I was quite hesitated to get them I thought maybe I could just live with my teeth being slightly out of line. However I still got them and a teacher at my school also got them at the same kind of time (yes a teacher!)! My teeth have moved so much that they are considering getting them off in about January so I would have only had them on for a year!!!! - SUPER EXCITING!!! I personally would get them if I were you as it's really beneficial and you will probably get them off before you go to uni or when you finish sixth form. Hope this helps 😝 Xx
Know Your Enemy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lychee627)
Im 19 and I have braces :rofl: they actually suit me so idm :lol:
Thanks for such a quick reply. That's provided a little reassurance that I'm not the only one in my position. How old were you when you first had braces, if you don't mind me asking?
username1439610
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There’s nothing wrong with it. My sister had braces when she was 16. I had braces when I was like 13 lol. My uncle had braces in his 30’s.
Lychee628
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for such a late reply. That's provided a little reassurance that I'm not the only one in my position. How old were you when you first had braces, if you don't mind me asking?
Basc I had them when i was 14 and then took them off when i was 16 and then put them on again when i was 17 and now ive just 19 , will take them off soon probably
OGGUS
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's nothing wrong with it, I have braces and I'm 18 and a few others I know have braces my age as well.
PrincessBO$$
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
OP i've been refused braces by the NHS lool apparently i dont need it. Im still going to go private and get some.
Sykeology
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
My cousin is 24 - has braces. I remember when I was at 16 there was more than enough people with them around.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Absolutely normal and trust me it's worth the wait to have straight teeth because all I ever notice is how crooked people teeth are and why didn't they invest in braces
Know Your Enemy
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm 17 and my birthdays in December too, I got my braces at the age of 17 in January and although I'm one of the oldest to have braces (or so I thought) I was quite hesitated to get them I thought maybe I could just live with my teeth being slightly out of line. However I still got them and a teacher at my school also got them at the same kind of time (yes a teacher!)! My teeth have moved so much that they are considering getting them off in about January so I would have only had them on for a year!!!! - SUPER EXCITING!!! I personally would get them if I were you as it's really beneficial and you will probably get them off before you go to uni or when you finish sixth form. Hope this helps 😝 Xx
Hey, I know this reply is a bit late but cheers for that. I'm hoping the braces will work for me too because apparently, I'll have to have jaw surgery if the braces don't align my teeth. I'm glad to hear you'll be getting yours off though.
tea hee
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I had mine all the way through year 12 and beginning of year 13!! Honestly, you won't be judged or anything! Look forward to the straight teeth 🤓
Ash1597
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No way is anything wrong with that, i've seen a fair few people around 30-40 with braces lol, nothing wrong with it at all, people barely even notice
Know Your Enemy
Rep:
?
Thank you everyone for all the helpful replies. Now that I'm aware I'm not the only one in my position, I can actually embrace the fact I'm having braces.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads