The Student Room Group

A-level retakes/re-sits

Hi Guys, I've been browsing online and I've come to the conclusion that there's very limited information and support for students who wish to re-sit their A levels. With the introduction of these new linear A-levels it has become even more difficult to resit but drop me any questions and I'd be happy to help with general advice etc.

I have attached below a few external retake centers where you can go and just sit the A- level exams - toodles
Reply 1
Original post by eltonfernzy
Hi Guys, I've been browsing online and I've come to the conclusion that there's very limited information and support for students who wish to re-sit their A levels. With the introduction of these new linear A-levels it has become even more difficult to resit but drop me any questions and I'd be happy to help with general advice etc.

I have attached below a few external retake centers where you can go and just sit the A- level exams - toodles

BTW, generally for the science subjects at A-level (physics,chemistry and bio) there is a practical endorsement element that forms part of your A-level - if you've already passed this practical endorsement then it can be carried forward and there is no need to repeat this. You just have to re-sit the exams. To carry forward the practical you'll have to let your new retake centre know and they can arrange this with the exam board. I tweeted @AQA, @OCR and @Edexcel and they too have confirmed that your practical mark can be carried forward - this is a free process however your centre may charge you a very small fee (around £10)

If you however failed the practicals then this can be rather troublesome as very few retake centres offer this facility - Campbell Harris centre offers this however it can cost you up to £1,200 to conduct all the practical experiments required for your specific A-level.

It is important to consider however that this is only relevant if you're applying to a science/ science orientated course at uni. If you're applying to English for instance then there is no need to redo the practical assessment.
nnsbac
Reply 3
I need to retake Maths & History A level, I got D’s in both (but 7 marks off a C in History) terrible!!! :-(
I’m not sure what happens regarding History coursework if I resit 🤔
Also there seems to be several 1 year intensive resit courses in London & the south but not a lot in the north so I guess it’s an online/private tutor/self study approach.
I have no idea about what to do and my existing college just says I can resit there but no advice on options for tuition…

Quick Reply

Latest