The Student Room Group

Should I do AS Maths?

I am considering doing Maths as an AS. My other subjects are History, Geography, and Physics. At GCSE, I got a 6 but I was 1 mark from a 7. I don't feel that confident doing Maths as a full A-Level but I feel that I would be more confident doing it as an AS. Some university courses I'm interested in ask for a 7 at GCSE maths, which is depressing since I was a mark away, but I feel that having an AS Maths will make up for that, maybe make me more employable and hopefully help me get into a better university as I feel that it is a very useful skill to have. Also, It will help me with Physics.
Original post by Fonzworth
I am considering doing Maths as an AS. My other subjects are History, Geography, and Physics. At GCSE, I got a 6 but I was 1 mark from a 7. I don't feel that confident doing Maths as a full A-Level but I feel that I would be more confident doing it as an AS. Some university courses I'm interested in ask for a 7 at GCSE maths, which is depressing since I was a mark away, but I feel that having an AS Maths will make up for that, maybe make me more employable and hopefully help me get into a better university as I feel that it is a very useful skill to have. Also, It will help me with Physics.

In that situation I would - you may end up wanting to do the full A-level anyway, depending on your results.
Good luck :smile:
It won't really help with physics - the maths in physics that's hard is only covered with further maths (well imo).

An AS in maths is definitely manageable, will your school be teaching you it? Before reforms, doing AS maths means just 3 exams, and ones you'll definitely be fine with if you had 2 years to prepare.

Oops, had a look at new courses and it seems there is some more content in there. It will be harder, but will overlap with physics.

Finally, just my opinion, but yes maths will definitely make you more employable.
Reply 3
Original post by carpetguy
It won't really help with physics - the maths in physics that's hard is only covered with further maths (well imo).

An AS in maths is definitely manageable, will your school be teaching you it? Before reforms, doing AS maths means just 3 exams, and ones you'll definitely be fine with if you had 2 years to prepare.

Oops, had a look at new courses and it seems there is some more content in there. It will be harder, but will overlap with physics.

Finally, just my opinion, but yes maths will definitely make you more employable.

Thanks for this. I may be wrong but will I be doing C1, C2 + an applied module? (which will obviously be mechanics) And also, is there any non-calculator exams?
Thanks for this. I may be wrong but will I be doing C1, C2 + an applied module? (which will obviously be mechanics) And also, is there any non-calculator exams?

no, it'll be reformed, unless you happen to be doing IALs. All three of the exam boards have two papers at AS, both equally weighted with a calculator

Edexcel - one pure and one applied (stats and mechanics) paper.

AQA - Two papers that mix pure and applied.

OCR - Two papers, one pure and stats, the other pure and mechanics.

If you take the course and exams this year it could be old specification (C1, C2 plus an applied) or could be the new specification that includes both mechanics and statistics. It is likely that if you are participating in lessons it will be new specification. You need to ask at your school.
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
If you take the course and exams this year it could be old specification (C1, C2 plus an applied) or could be the new specification that includes both mechanics and statistics. It is likely that if you are participating in lessons it will be new specification. You need to ask at your school.

It’ll be the new specification. Does that mean I only need to learn mechanics and statistics?
It’ll be the new specification. Does that mean I only need to learn mechanics and statistics?

You wish 😄
Plus a whole lot of pure maths roughly equivalent to the old C1&2
Reply 8
Original post by gdunne42
You wish 😄
Plus a whole lot of pure maths roughly equivalent to the old C1&2

Thought so haha, do you think Maths at AS will improve my uni application and maybe employability? Especially for courses that ask for a 7 at GCSE because I was 1 mark off

Quick Reply

Latest