Open University and ESA

Watch this thread
Poppy-jane
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

I've been claiming ESA and studying 60 credits with the Open Uni. This year i've upped my studying to 120 credits... does anyone know if i can still claim ESA?

People have always told me that OU study is always considered part time no matter how many credits studied, hence why we only have part time tuition loans and aren't able to get maintenance loans? Others have told me ESA claims are based on hours of study?

Any advice / experience would be greatly appreciated- thanks
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
I think you can get ESA as a student as long as you're getting PIP or DLA at the same time.

(Original post by Poppy-jane)
Hi,

I've been claiming ESA and studying 60 credits with the Open Uni. This year i've upped my studying to 120 credits... does anyone know if i can still claim ESA?

People have always told me that OU study is always considered part time no matter how many credits studied, hence why we only have part time tuition loans and aren't able to get maintenance loans? Others have told me ESA claims are based on hours of study?

PersianCatLady
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
I think you can get ESA as a student as long as you're getting PIP or DLA at the same time.
I am sorry but this is not relevant as the OP is studying with the OU.

No matter how many credits you study with the OU each year, you will always be classed as a part-time student NEVER a full-time student. This is the reason why OU students DO NOT receive Maintenance Loans from SFE while they study.

In your case whether you study 30 or 120 credits a year with the OU, it does not affect your ESA claim.
illegaltobepoor
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Poppy-jane)
Hi,

120 credits is full time in the eyes of the DWP. If you want to go full time you need to apply for the maintenance grant. Under no circumstances should you tell the DWP this. They will have the benefit fraud squad knocking on your door within a week.

Its only Further Education level 3 courses you can do full time if you get the high rate care component of DLA/PIP.

Under no circumstances do you tell the DWP that you are studying at University. They have no right to know if your a full time student. Just drop your claim once you get your get £7,097 to 8,430 maintenance loan verified.

Once you see my post you should delete your post because if any Tory students see this they will report you if they know you personally. Its how they are.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by illegaltobepoor)
120 credits is full time in the eyes of the DWP. If you want to go full time you need to apply for the maintenance grant. Under no circumstances should you tell the DWP this. They will have the benefit fraud squad knocking on your door within a week.

Its only Further Education level 3 courses you can do full time if you get the high rate care component of DLA/PIP.
Both of these are wrong - there's no maintenance grant in England and no living cost help currently for OU students.

It doesn't matter what rate of DLA / PIP you're on.
PersianCatLady
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
My advice was correct.

All OU study is considered part time, even if you study 120 credits.

DO don't ask how many credits you are studying as long as you say you are studying part-time with the OU.
illegaltobepoor
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Both of these are wrong - there's no maintenance grant in England and no living cost help currently for OU students.

It doesn't matter what rate of DLA / PIP you're on.
didnt know that. guess the op is royally screwed then
Jonas Beach
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
I receive PiP and ESA, so I can get it, so that I can do full time education, ESA still staying in place? PiP also? What is the funding for attending full time education is it possible to have both ESA and student loan or if it (loan) replacs the benefits I get? Lol 🤣 I am so confused, apologise for my English not the best but I hope you understand my question thanks again
GabiAbi84
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Jonas Beach)
I receive PiP and ESA, so I can get it, so that I can do full time education, ESA still staying in place? PiP also? What is the funding for attending full time education is it possible to have both ESA and student loan or if it (loan) replacs the benefits I get? Lol 🤣 I am so confused, apologise for my English not the best but I hope you understand my question thanks again
https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Benefit-g...nt-and-Support
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (147)
40.27%
They're exactly what I expected (91)