The Student Room Group

My son's first job interview next week. What questions should he ask?

My 20 year old son uploaded his CV and half an hour later the phone rang, inviting him to an interview next Wednesday. It's for a company called Teleperformance. It is not a sales position, it's a customer service advisor role. He will be taking calls from customers of either Vodaphone or Sainsbury's if he gets the job. It will be his first ever job interview, and as I know nothing about this line of work, I was wondering if there was anything he ought to ask at the end when the person interviewing him says, "Any questions?" Thanks.
erm shouldnt ur son be using the student room to ask for advice instead of u? abit weird dont u think?

Is the job for him or u?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AKA2234
erm shouldnt ur son be using the student toom to ask for advice instead of u? abit weird dont u think?

Is the job for him or u?

He never uses this website. I use it all the time.
and wat do u use it for?
Reply 4
Finding out information about various courses, and offering people help if they need it.
Reply 5
I'm not the only parent on here.
Original post by markova21
My 20 year old son uploaded his CV and half an hour later the phone rang, inviting him to an interview next Wednesday. It's for a company called Teleperformance. It is not a sales position, it's a customer service advisor role. He will be taking calls from customers of either Vodaphone or Sainsbury's if he gets the job. It will be his first ever job interview, and as I know nothing about this line of work, I was wondering if there was anything he ought to ask at the end when the person interviewing him says, "Any questions?" Thanks.

This might help :smile:

https://www.glassdoor.co.uk/Interview/Teleperformance-Customer-Service-Advisor-Interview-Questions-EI_IE9779.0,15_KO16,40.htm
Reply 7

The key is not to ask simple yes/no questions, or to ask things that can be answered easily on the employer's job ad. However, it wouldn't be a good idea to ask questions for the sake of it either!
Reply 9
Original post by pi3141
The key is not to ask simple yes/no questions, or to ask things that can be answered easily on the employer's job ad. However, it wouldn't be a good idea to ask questions for the sake of it either!

Many thanks for your help.
Thank you so much for the link. I'll show him.

:smile: No problem
I was wondering if there was anything he ought to ask at the end when the person interviewing him says, "Any questions?"

There is no 'ought' about it. If there are matters he needs clarification on, or facts that he would like to know at that stage then he should ask. If all his information needs have been covered then he should not ask and should say that all his queries have been covered already.

He should go into the interview with a mental checklist of areas he needs answers on (e.g. next steps, what the role is, where is it based, what are the hours or days etc), and others may arise from the information he is given.

He specifically should not ask a stupid, crass or made up question in the expectation that not asking a question will somehow be marked down.
Reply 12
Original post by Good bloke
There is no 'ought' about it. If there are matters he needs clarification on, or facts that he would like to know at that stage then he should ask. If all his information needs have been covered then he should not ask and should say that all his queries have been covered already.

He should go into the interview with a mental checklist of areas he needs answers on (e.g. next steps, what the role is, where is it based, what are the hours or days etc), and others may arise from the information he is given.

He specifically should not ask a stupid, crass or made up question in the expectation that not asking a question will somehow be marked down.

Many thanks, Good bloke.

Well, you say that, but i was speaking to a HR interviewer for a high street bank about this very thing and they said this is an important part of the interview and you should use it.

I agree with you, no point asking made up questions, but she said to ask things such as 'what challenges does the compnay/department face and can I contribute to the solution' and 'how will the presence of <insert some funky new startup company> affect this companys business model in the future'. Makes you look like you care about the company. done your homework and are not just there for the cash (which is way we're all there of course).

Pretty cheesy I thought but just saying what she said. I guess it depends on the role level as well.
Original post by ParentalAdvisory
Well, you say that, but i was speaking to a HR interviewer for a high street bank about this very thing and they said this is an important part of the interview and you should use it.

I agree with you, no point asking made up questions, but she said to ask things such as 'what challenges does the compnay/department face and can I contribute to the solution' and 'how will the presence of <insert some funky new startup company> affect this companys business model in the future'. Makes you look like you care about the company. done your homework and are not just there for the cash (which is way we're all there of course).

Pretty cheesy I thought but just saying what she said. I guess it depends on the role level as well.

You are coming from the wrong direction and the important phrase is you should use it - it is an important way to make sure you have everything you want (and for the company to ensure that you have no excuses about being uninformed).

The sorts of questions you have suggested would be appropriate for a candidate for a reasonably senior role but I would expect them to be dealt with much earlier in the interview than a mop-up at the end. Junior employees will be more concerned about prospects for advancement than about strategic matters.
You are coming from the wrong direction and the important phrase is you should use it - it is an important way to make sure you have everything you want (and for the company to ensure that you have no excuses about being uninformed).

The sorts of questions you have suggested would be appropriate for a candidate for a reasonably senior role but I would expect them to be dealt with much earlier in the interview than a mop-up at the end. Junior employees will be more concerned about prospects for advancement than about strategic matters.

yes I'm sure you're right. i was just passing on what someone who does interviews told me, in case it were useful.
Reply 16
Original post by ParentalAdvisory
yes I'm sure you're right. i was just passing on what someone who does interviews told me, in case it were useful.

Thank you.
He's 20 and never had a job before? .... Good luck

Quick Reply