Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

where can i buy a phone from ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i am looking to buy the samsung galaxy s8 plus for as cheap as possible.

i have checked ebay and amazon.....
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by study beats)
    i am looking to buy the samsung galaxy s8 plus for as cheap as possible.

i have checked ebay and amazon.....
    What sort of prices are you seeing from them? Usually I'd recommend Amazon

This thread should be in the Mobile phones forum. I'll just tag AngryJellyfish to get this moved over there

ReputationRep:
    https://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/sam.../product/20650

Cheapest you'll find.

ReputationRep:
    Lycamobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somemightsay888)
    https://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/sam.../product/20650

Cheapest you'll find.
    i was looking at that website, can they be trusted

they have the international version for 499 pounds
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    i was looking at that website, can they be trusted

they have the international version for 499 pounds
    It's a legitimate site but it's grey market- stock from outside the UK/EU which they purchase and sell without paying sales tax on at any point. If the phone makes it through UK customs without being checked then you're golden, if it does get checked you will be liable for the 20% VAT bill. There is also a strong likelihood the product won't be covered by warranty in the UK.

I don't know what their track record is like with smartphones, but in photography circles it's typically advised to avoid them unless it's necessary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It's a legitimate site but it's grey market- stock from outside the UK/EU which they purchase and sell without paying sales tax on at any point. If the phone makes it through UK customs without being checked then you're golden, if it does get checked you will be liable for the 20% VAT bill. There is also a strong likelihood the product won't be covered by warranty in the UK.

I don't know what their track record is like with smartphones, but in photography circles it's typically advised to avoid them unless it's necessary.
    should i purchase it then?
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    should i purchase it then?
    It's a judgment call, if you're willing to risk the customs bill then sure. If you'd rather know exactly what you're paying and have the safety net of a guaranteed warranty, then no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    It's a judgment call, if you're willing to risk the customs bill then sure. If you'd rather know exactly what you're paying and have the safety net of a guaranteed warranty, then no.
    how much is the customs bill

also i am being protected by paypal
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    how much is the customs bill

also i am being protected by paypal
    Gofre told you it would be the 20% VAT. On top which there could be an administration fee from the delivery company for handling the customs bill.

Paypal makes no difference. It doesn't stop you from being liable to customs duty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)

(Original post by Doonesbury)
    Gofre told you it would be the 20% VAT. On top which there could be an administration fee from the delivery company for handling the customs bill.

Paypal makes no difference. It doesn't stop you from being liable to customs duty.
    Both of you are wrong lol. eGlobal cover customs, you don't pay. They don't mark down the item cost though, I'm not sure how it's done but every time I have ordered from there never been hit with customs.

https://www.eglobalcentral.co.uk/ter...onditions.html

I think they just drop ship to the EU and then EU to EU shipping is free.

study beats From my experience they seem fine, I've bought phones and headphones from there. Everything delivered fine and quick, no hassle and the items have all been fine. Ymmv though.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Both of you are wrong lol. eGlobal cover customs, you don't pay. They don't mark down the item cost though, I'm not sure how it's done but every time I have ordered from there never been hit with customs.

study beats From my experience they seem fine, I've bought phones and headphones from there. Everything delivered fine and quick, no hassle and the items have all been fine. Ymmv though.
    I have no knowledge of eGlobal. I was commentng on how much charges would be *if* they were levied by customs.

However, if something seems too good to be true...

ReputationRep:

thanks for the info...

did the phones you order were legit ?

ReputationRep:
    thanks for the info...

did the phones you order were legit ?
    They have quite a few negative reviews. I wouldn't risk it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    They have quite a few negative reviews. I wouldn't risk it.
    show me

ReputationRep:
    show me
    Google it and visit the first few websites.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.