The Student Room Group

I'm Turkish - Ask me anything you want to know about Turkey?

Hi, guys, just wanted to do a thread where I answer your questions you may have on Turkey and its people. Your questions can relate to social life, politics, the military, the culture and cuisine or the history of Turkey and the Turkic people.

Not only does this give you an opportunity to get some answers, but its also an opportunity for me as a Turkish citizen to understand how others view Turkey and what they are curious about.

Scroll to see replies

Why are turkish people so much better than Arabs?
Original post by asamedkaradal
Hi, guys, just wanted to do a thread where I answer your questions you may have on Turkey and its people. Your questions can relate to social life, politics, the military, the culture and cuisine or the history of Turkey and the Turkic people.

Not only does this give you an opportunity to get some answers, but its also an opportunity for me as a Turkish citizen to understand how others view Turkey and what they are curious about.

What are the typical views on homosexuality? Do you find there are many openly gay people?
Original post by Anonymous
Why are turkish people so much better than Arabs?

Thats quite a risky question, so im going to try answer in the best way possible so i dont seem racist or anything!

One reason why Turks are better than the Arabs is probably due to our rich history - you have the Seljuk Empire, the Ottoman Empire and of course Mustafa Kemal Ataturk who defeated the Western imperialists to found the modern Republic of Turkey. Whilst Arabs, in Turkey, are viewed as traitors for siding with Laurence of Arabia in the Arab Revolt during WW1 to defeat the Ottoman Empire in pursuit of Arab nationalism, and instead ending up with the Sykes-Picot agreement and British and French imperialism.

Another reason is the Arab betrayal of Muslims worldwide. To put it into modern context, back in June 2017 the Arabs led by Saudi Arabia were quick to gang up on Qatar and blockade the country, whereas not one Arab nation has voiced their concern and opposition to Myanmar's ethnic clean of Rohingya Muslims, whereas Turkey has condemned Myanmar at every opportunity possible such as the UN General Assembly and has offered Bangladesh financial aid as well as other forms aid for the Rohingya Muslims refugees they are sheltering.

Also, Turkey has the largest Syrian refugee population, currently numbered at more than 3 million. Whilst oil rich Arab nations such as KSA and UAE barely have any Syrian refugees.

I can list other reasons as well but i think this is enough for now
Thats quite a risky question, so im going to try answer in the best way possible so i dont seem racist or anything!

One reason why Turks are better than the Arabs is probably due to our rich history - you have the Seljuk Empire, the Ottoman Empire and of course Mustafa Kemal Ataturk who defeated the Western imperialists to found the modern Republic of Turkey. Whilst Arabs, in Turkey, are viewed as traitors for siding with Laurence of Arabia in the Arab Revolt during WW1 to defeat the Ottoman Empire in pursuit of Arab nationalism, and instead ending up with the Sykes-Picot agreement and British and French imperialism.

Another reason is the Arab betrayal of Muslims worldwide. To put it into modern context, back in June 2017 the Arabs led by Saudi Arabia were quick to gang up on Qatar and blockade the country, whereas not one Arab nation has voiced their concern and opposition to Myanmar's ethnic clean of Rohingya Muslims, whereas Turkey has condemned Myanmar at every opportunity possible such as the UN General Assembly and has offered Bangladesh financial aid as well as other forms aid for the Rohingya Muslims refugees they are sheltering.

Also, Turkey has the largest Syrian refugee population, currently numbered at more than 3 million. Whilst oil rich Arab nations such as KSA and UAE barely have any Syrian refugees.

I can list other reasons as well but i think this is enough for now

I agree with absolutely everything.
Are there black people in Turkey and how are they treated?

The specal blue one eye thingy, is it for good luck or bad luck.
What are the typical views on homosexuality? Do you find there are many openly gay people?

First of all its always good to know the laws relating to homosexuality:
- Same sex sexual activity was legalised in the Ottoman Empire in 1858 and has always been legal since the Republic was founded in 1923.
- LGBT people can seek asylum in Turkey under the Geneva Convention since 1951
- Transsexuals can change their legal gender since 1988
- There are no laws relating to the protection of LGBT members from discrimination in employment, education , housing, health care

There has been openly-gay candidates running for Parliament in the 2015 general election, notably from the left-wing Kurdish nationalist party HDP and from the main opposition the CHP.

Generally homosexuality, mainly in the Anatolian and Southeast regions of Turkey, is frowned upon and not supported due to the regions population being religious conservatives.

Many homosexuals do take the risk of being discriminated and openly express their sexuality, Istanbul held several Pride events, although they have been banned since last year by the government and the Istanbul Governor.
What does your traditional clothing consist of?
And what are the best Turkish meals?
I agree with absolutely everything.
Are there black people in Turkey and how are they treated?

The black community of Turkey is referred to as Afro-Turk and their population is in the 100,000 region.

Many Afro-Turks trace their origins to the Ottoman Empire where Africans came to Turkey and settled in the Mediterranian and Aegean coast of Turkey.

Afro-Turks, as far as i know, have not faced racial discrimination as they have in America. The first African pilot in history is believed to be an Ottoman war pilot during WW1, named Ahmet Ali Celikten - whose story is being turned into a film in Turkey.
Original post by chungyanho
The specal blue one eye thingy, is it for good luck or bad luck.

I believe you are talking about the Nazar Boncugu. I know it as a good luck charm which is supposed to protect you from the evil eye.

People in Turkey place it in their homes, wear it etc.

Why do Turkish people not like Hindus or Indians?
Reply 11
Not as serious as the other questions, but I bought some fruit flavoured tea in Turkey a while ago but I don’t know how to make it 😂 how do I make it?
Original post by Matilda612
What does your traditional clothing consist of?
And what are the best Turkish meals?

The Turkish tradition clothing question is too complex as it varies according to the region and date back to the early days of the Turkic people in Central Asia.

The best Turkish meals id say is all of them but to pick out the favourites id say

- Adana Kebab - hand minced meat kebab grilled on charcoal and often served with Ayran (a yogurt drink) or Salgam (betroot juice)
- Stuffed grape vine leaves
- famous Baklava desert
- Kunefe - cheese pastry soaked in sweet sugar based syrup served with either clotted cream or ice cream
- Menemen - speciality for breakfast consisting of tomatoes, green peppers, onions etc
Why are Greeks so much worse at making Kebab, yet still insist on doing it?
Why do Turkish people not like Hindus or Indians?

I dont think every Turk hates Hindus and Indians and i think those who do base it on the Indian-Pakistan conflict, and generally Turkey-Pakistan relations have always been strong and the two nations and its people view each other as brothers.
Original post by GrabDrop
Why are Greeks so much worse at making Kebab, yet still insist on doing it?

Never tasted Greek kebab but tbh trying to make something which you have no idea about is hard so.

Greeks claim Baklava, Borek, Yogurt, Kebab, Cacik which are all in fact Turkish dishes
Original post by jesss_
Not as serious as the other questions, but I bought some fruit flavoured tea in Turkey a while ago but I don’t know how to make it 😂 how do I make it?

To prepare Turkish tea your going to have to need what we Turks call Caydanlik.

Caydanlik consists of two metal tea kettles, one small and one big. Small one goes on top and serves the tea whilst the lower part serve to boil the water.

Fill the bottom part of the çaydanlık completely with water.

Put two big tablespoons of tea in the top part, add just enough water to make the tea wet.

Stack the two parts into one another, put the çaydanlık on the stove and bring to a boil.

When the water is boiling, transfer it to the upper kettle until filled. Re-fill the lower kettle and stack the two parts back together and put them back on the stove

The tea is ready when it is dark brown, fragrant, and the tea leaves have moved to the bottom of the kettle, and the water in the bottom kettle has boiled.

Fill your tea cup with about 1/4 of the tea from the top kettle and fill the remained with hot water from the bottom kettle and Enjoy

Reply 17
Thank you! What about for powdered tea / tea granules? Is it the same?
Original post by jesss_
Thank you! What about for powdered tea / tea granules? Is it the same?

Yes, Turkish tea generally comes in the form of tea leaves unlike the PG Tea Bags we have here in the UK and you are welcome, hope you enjoy your tea and visit Turkey again some day. Id recommend visiting the Capadoccia region in Central Anatolia (cities like Nevsehir and Aksaray)
same, but i'm mixed with other things.

Quick Reply