I'm Turkish - Ask me anything you want to know about Turkey? Watch

Anonymous #4
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by asamedkaradal)
I believe you are talking about the Nazar Boncugu. I know it as a good luck charm which is supposed to protect you from the evil eye.

People in Turkey place it in their homes, wear it etc.
Blasphemous. The Nazar Boncugu itself is idolatry.

Might I add in, I am also Turkish but I despise the nation. Not for any particular reason, other than they're one of the worst civilisations out there since the republic was formed.
Anonymous #5
Report 2 years ago
Hi, guys, just wanted to do a thread where I answer your questions you may have on Turkey and its people. Your questions can relate to social life, politics, the military, the culture and cuisine or the history of Turkey and the Turkic people.

Not only does this give you an opportunity to get some answers, but its also an opportunity for me as a Turkish citizen to understand how others view Turkey and what they are curious about.
what age do students usually start university in Turkey?
username1439610
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I dont think every Turk hates Hindus and Indians and i think those who do base it on the Indian-Pakistan conflict, and generally Turkey-Pakistan relations have always been strong and the two nations and its people view each other as brothers.
I'm Pakistani so I guess we're brothers. Big up you Turks :five:
Anonymous #4
Report 2 years ago
Thats quite a risky question, so im going to try answer in the best way possible so i dont seem racist or anything!

One reason why Turks are better than the Arabs is probably due to our rich history - you have the Seljuk Empire, the Ottoman Empire and of course Mustafa Kemal Ataturk who defeated the Western imperialists to found the modern Republic of Turkey. Whilst Arabs, in Turkey, are viewed as traitors for siding with Laurence of Arabia in the Arab Revolt during WW1 to defeat the Ottoman Empire in pursuit of Arab nationalism, and instead ending up with the Sykes-Picot agreement and British and French imperialism.

Another reason is the Arab betrayal of Muslims worldwide. To put it into modern context, back in June 2017 the Arabs led by Saudi Arabia were quick to gang up on Qatar and blockade the country, whereas not one Arab nation has voiced their concern and opposition to Myanmar's ethnic clean of Rohingya Muslims, whereas Turkey has condemned Myanmar at every opportunity possible such as the UN General Assembly and has offered Bangladesh financial aid as well as other forms aid for the Rohingya Muslims refugees they are sheltering.

Also, Turkey has the largest Syrian refugee population, currently numbered at more than 3 million. Whilst oil rich Arab nations such as KSA and UAE barely have any Syrian refugees.

I can list other reasons as well but i think this is enough for now
Also, the prophet Mohammad Salallahualeyhiwassalam stated that no race/civilisation is better than the other. (Assuming you are Muslim)

If that were the case, I'd say the Arabs are the most superior, since the prophet (saw) was, finish the sentence... Arab.

There is honestly nothing even remotely excellent about Turkey apart from it's quite few tourist places.

Turkish politics isn't something to be proud of too. Followed by delusional Turks, it's put the nation into a divided state, where two Turks will battle if they're not on the same page with politics. One for Erdogan, one for Feytullah.

Moreover, remind me why 80-90% of the British Turks are in the catering business.

Turks are stupid, unkind, liars, more or less racist, and delusional.

Boy, you must regret making this thread.
asamedkaradal
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by qasim_96)
I'm Pakistani so I guess we're brothers. Big up you Turks
Much love to my Pakistani brothers and sisters.

Turkey, Azerbaijan and Pakistan are triplets in this world :five: :console:
asamedkaradal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
what age do students usually start university in Turkey?
Students start university at 18
username1439610
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Much love to my Pakistani brothers and sisters.

Turkey, Azerbaijan and Pakistan are triplets in this world :five: :console:
Much love :hugs:
faloodeh
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
idk if you answered this but

1)can you speak turkish (if so, can you teach me)
2)general view on azeris?
3)are turkish people generally superstitious? i feel like they are from what ive seen
Anonymous #5
Report 2 years ago
Students start university at 18
Oh I see, I'm a bit confused. I have a friend who is Turkish and he finished his school a few months ago (aged 20). I asked him when Turks start university, and he told me it was at age 21. I remember thinking that was quite late to generally start as here we finish our studies then (excluding mature students, PhD's etc) but he was adamant that Turkish students start university at 21 only.. not sure what that's about then
ismail17
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
No.
asamedkaradal
Rep:
?
(Original post by faloodeh)
idk if you answered this but

1)can you speak turkish (if so, can you teach me)
2)general view on azeris?
3)are turkish people generally superstitious? i feel like they are from what ive seen
1- Yes i speak fluent Turkish and would be more than happy to teach you
2- Azeri Turks are our brothers as we are all Turkic and i love the Azeri people and the country
3- Id say we are sometime superstitious - some turks believe in the evil eye for example
asamedkaradal
Rep:
?
Oh I see, I'm a bit confused. I have a friend who is Turkish and he finished his school a few months ago (aged 20). I asked him when Turks start university, and he told me it was at age 21. I remember thinking that was quite late to generally start as here we finish our studies then (excluding mature students, PhD's etc) but he was adamant that Turkish students start university at 21 only.. not sure what that's about then
My cousin in Turkey started university in 2015 when he was 18, so im confused now as well
Magenta96
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you currently live in the UK, do you know any websites that sell Turkish delight online? Loads of places here sell the regular coloured cubes of Turkish delight, but you know those rolls of Turkish delight you get in Turkey? They look like swirls inside and come in rolls, they have some hazelnut-y filling inside too? I just can't seem to find them anywhere here.
GreenBell
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, guys, just wanted to do a thread where I answer your questions you may have on Turkey and its people. Your questions can relate to social life, politics, the military, the culture and cuisine or the history of Turkey and the Turkic people.

Not only does this give you an opportunity to get some answers, but its also an opportunity for me as a Turkish citizen to understand how others view Turkey and what they are curious about.
I can speak a little Turkish by watching Turkish Dramas, what's your favourite drama? if you watch it..
asamedkaradal
Rep:
?
(Original post by GreenBell)
I can speak a little Turkish by watching Turkish Dramas, what's your favourite drama? if you watch it..
The two Turkish films on TV i watch are Soz (set in Southeast of Turkey were a group of Special Forces soldiers fight against a terrorist organisation) and Payitaht Abdulhamid (which is based on the life of the Ottoman Sultan Abdulhamid II who reigned between 1876 and 1909)
idekanymore?
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Kabak Mücveri (courgette fritters), Gözleme, Pide, and Halva (dessert) are also v good
asamedkaradal
Rep:
?
(Original post by Magenta96)
If you currently live in the UK, do you know any websites that sell Turkish delight online? Loads of places here sell the regular coloured cubes of Turkish delight, but you know those rolls of Turkish delight you get in Turkey? They look like swirls inside and come in rolls, they have some hazelnut-y filling inside too? I just can't seem to find them anywhere here.
I know what your talking about but unfortunately you often cant find them in Turkish supermarkets in the UK and i dont know of any website which sells them.

My family generally brings them from Turkey whenever they go
Anonymous #5
Report 2 years ago
I know what your talking about but unfortunately you often cant find them in Turkish supermarkets in the UK and i dont know of any website which sells them.

My family generally brings them from Turkey whenever they go
Aww yeah I thought as much. I came back from Turkey a few days ago with one big box which is already running out. It tastes so nice and unique too. If I'd known they don't really sell them here, I would've bought back another 4 boxes!
Anonymous #4
Report 2 years ago
Respond to the negative comments. You made this thread to exaggerate Turkey's 'greatness'
asamedkaradal
Rep:
?
Respond to the negative comments. You made this thread to exaggerate Turkey's 'greatness'
No, i made this thread to answer peoples questions they have regarding Turkey. All you are doing is criticising it, in which I respect that as you are entitled to your own opinion. I will not, however, respond to these criticisms as I'm not here to debate and argue.

If you wish to debate/argue with me then id happily do so another time in another thread, but for now, dont waste your time expecting me to reply, cause I won't be.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (149)
60.57%
Yes- I don't like it (11)
4.47%
No- I want it (69)
28.05%
No- I don't want it (17)
6.91%

Watched Threads