The Student Room Group

Which universities place a lot of emphasis on Personal Statement?

If any. And which place a lot on predicted grades?
All of them :tongue:
I'd probably say LSE places the largest weight on your PS and Oxbridge place weight on everything, but most unis are interested in it. No uni in particular places a great emphasis on predicted grades, as they know most are wrong, the prediction just needs to meet their minimum entry requirement.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by SuperHuman98
All of them :tongue:

I don't know how true this is. Looking back, mine was quite dire and I managed to get decent offers. Suggests that most of them skim read it.
Reply 4
Original post by PoliticsandP
I'd probably say LSE places the largest weight on your PS and Oxbridge place weight on everything, but most unis are interested in it. No uni in particular places a great emphasis on predicted grades, as they know most are wrong, the prediction just needs to meet their minimum entry requirement.

So would you say there isn't a big difference between an applicant who just meets the entry requirement and one who is a grade below?
Original post by Mystelle
So would you say there isn't a big difference between an applicant who just meets the entry requirement and one who is a grade below?

A big difference - there are a lot of unis that use subpar predicted grades to get rid of applicants in the first stage.

Also, an addition to the thread: Birmingham (history department) said to me that they don't really look at personal statements unless they miss their offer.
All of them for both, which more depends though.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Mystelle

Depends... you can see typical offer rates for your predicted grades for a specific course/university using the UCAS Offer Rate Calculator.

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

NB. This is a "Beta" service from UCAS and doesn't work well for some courses and/or A-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest