The Student Room Group

To what extent is Shelia Birling an important character in An Inspector Calls?

Scroll to see replies

Sheila is She is snob -very aware of the differences between social classes
Just a few points:
- Your "introduction" is very weak, it doesn't show you have a clear focus on the task, it looks like you are answering a question of Priestleys use of Sheila, for example you could start saying; Sheila Birling is an important charecter in An Inspector Calls because...
-Remember this is a play not a book you should change "reader" to audience
- Your lack of structure and paragraphs made it very difficult to read and would be an instant turn off for an examiner
-Your essay is too short, you should aim for 4-6 detailed paragraphs.
- Your points are good but you can expand alot and include alternative interpretations to reach higher bands for example, when you say it is "interesting" that Sheila accepts responsibility as she is upperclass, you can expand further and link to the question, why else is it significant that Sheila accepts responsibility? ( Think about the theme of the young and old)
- You tried to put too many ideas in without explaining them properly, they're good points just work on talking as much as you can about a few good points rather than little about lots of points
- The question is asking you to evaluate the extent, so you can include how not having Sheila in the play would have changed the play to back your ideas about her importance.

I know this is a long time after your posting date and it is very near to the exam, but I hope it can still help you in any way.
Original post by Ray_Shadows
i blame sheila for eva smith death , if she wan't such an uptight privileged stingy ***** then eva would still be alive

i see arroowwww

Quick Reply

Latest