The Student Room Group

A*A*A*A - How can I help you?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by physics.chem.art
Other than doing past papers, How did you study for chemistry, did you have a particular system? +what were your grades at the end of year 12?

i found an online question bank (if i find it ill link it) and did some of those questions, for me chemistry was my best subject and i just seemed to be a bke to get the topics in lessons so didnt feel the need to do much else
End of year 12 i got A*A in chem and bio internals, and AA in philosophy and maths AS
Original post by tamil fever
how do u work smart?

Be efficient. Work at what youre bad at, one you get it move on

Original post by Jas9531
Did you go to a well performing sixth form?

I guess so, i moved there because it was better than my previous school, was an hour journey in though 😶😶
(edited 6 years ago)
First of all: WELL DONE! That's amazing!

My main issue with A levels at the moment is my lack of motivation to revise. I can't understand it because I love all my subjects and happily pay attention and work in class, yet as soon as I get home I just watch videos on my laptop for hours. I have the potential to do well, I think, but I know that won't happen unless I put the effort in. Do you have any tips? Be as harsh as you like - call me lazy - maybe it's time I started hearing it. Just want to get motivated!
Original post by HeadHoncho
Got a* in bio, chem and maths, a in philosophy. Really bored and saw a similar thread so thought i might start one. You can post questions and I'll try my best to answer 😊😊

Are you at university? If so, what are you studying/ going to study?
Original post by jesss_
Thank you! So would you say it’s useful to also read information from websites that aren’t specifically aimed at A Level students?

Yes definityley, try to read scientific literature above a level level, it will only help you improve. If you dont get it then not the end of the world, its above your level anyway 😋
Original post by Mystelle
Thank you for your advice! :smile:

No worries 👍
Original post by mda2
How did you revise paper 3 for bio and chem, thanks btw

Theyre difficult, for bio i didnt do any special revision, but i kind of used papers 1 and 2 as prep for paper 3, for chem i did edexcel IAL unit 3b and 6b (on physics and maths tutor) to get practical questions, then just make sure you're comfortable with the rest of the content
Which revision guides or textbooks do u recommended for Bio, Chem and maths? :smile:
Which revision guide or textbooks do u recommend for Bio, Chem and maths? :smile:
Original post by Anonymous1502
Thank you for your helpful reply!Do you know any biology youtubers,I do OCR A for biology.To learn the content what technique would you use for learning new content?Have you tried snap revise before yourself or know anyone who did,I thought about it but then Im not sure if it goes in enough depth or is too much waffle or even if it's good or not?How did you do in your olympiads did you get any medals did you pass the first round??

I got silvers in both bio and chem olympiads, not too happy with the bio one as i was close to gold. I wouldnt put too much extra effort into them tbh just a bit of fun. For ocr i would suggest mrbiotom1, and you can message me any specific questions as that was the spec i did. Actually i thin snaprevise might have a lot of waffle so just ignore that lol

Original post by MajorFader
Are you at university? If so, what are you studying/ going to study?

Nope, taking a gap year and reappling for medicine 🙂
Got a* in bio, chem and maths, a in philosophy. Really bored and saw a similar thread so thought i might start one. You can post questions and I'll try my best to answer 😊😊

Well done.
Can you suggest good websites and revision guides for a level Biology and Chemistry ?
Reply 48
just started year 12 studying philosophy, geography & english lit/lang. do you have any tips for A levels?
Original post by PoetryBlues
First of all: WELL DONE! That's amazing!

My main issue with A levels at the moment is my lack of motivation to revise. I can't understand it because I love all my subjects and happily pay attention and work in class, yet as soon as I get home I just watch videos on my laptop for hours. I have the potential to do well, I think, but I know that won't happen unless I put the effort in. Do you have any tips? Be as harsh as you like - call me lazy - maybe it's time I started hearing it. Just want to get motivated!

Thank you!! If youre in year 12 then dont worry, we all watched netflix etc in year 12 till aroung December then put in some effort. Perhaps you lack the motivation to revise because you dont need to yet(??), if you're comfortable with everything in the class and do well in homework and mini tests then youre fine, but maybe stretch yourself by learning some of the more advanced topics in you spec, for example i taught myself all the acids and bases stuff in chem because i could. Maybe use tv as a reward, such as an hour revision = and hour tv, then slowly change that ration to less and less tv. But in the end longer revision doesnt mean better revision, i was in the library one day from opening till closing but spent most of the time playing games on my phone, i still claimed i revised for 8 hours even though i couldn't remember what exactly i did that day lol

Original post by Studio ghibli
Which revision guide or textbooks do u recommend for Bio, Chem and maths? :smile:

If you say your spec may be helpful, for maths the textbook is most likely sufficient
Original post by tstudy
any philosophy advice? it's what I'm struggling most with as i don't really know how to revise it!

Theres really good notes on getrevising.com that i woukd recommend. Also this website http://peped.org/philosophicalinvestigations/ Was really helpful. Try to use a vast range of sources of info from the internet. I mad a lot of mindmaps also, and intead of fully writing a past paper, id just do essay plans then read the examiners reports carefully
For physics, which spec did you do, then new one? Did you make sure you were revising specifically spec based, or did you wider read?
I've got mocks coming up in 2 weeks for bio and chem for my predicted grades, all AS content
What do you suggest revision wise and do you have any specific revision techniques or methods for tackling questions?
Also, how do you give enough time to each subject and balance AS and A2?
Maths isn't my strongest subject atm - do you have any advice?
Sorry it's long and thanks:colondollar::smile:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 53
I was super lazy first year because i found maths and chemistry really straightforward so only did proper work for philosophy and bio. But in year 2 I definitely was more willing to spend that extra hour to fully consolidate topics etc. I used the be focused app to revise for 30 mins then have a 10 min break, and tbh you can get so much done in 30 mins when you really focus, i was astonished. For maths past papers are great, and for some of the questions where you have to apply techniques more creatively, read examiners reports for such questions as they may give and example of an individuals excellent answer. Good luck!

I would first like to say: CONGRATULATIONS on your amazing results!:yay:

After reading this, I feel a rush of motivation! :excited:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 54
I made a spreadsheet of the past papers i did (and used conditional formatting so the cells turn red yellow or green depending on the ums percentage i attained). I started doing AS old spec past papers from january of year 13 to consolidate year 1 knowledge, then from end of march i started A2 papers . After every paper i marked it quickly and noted questions i got wrong, then looked at all the marking points for those questions and then read the examiners report. If i still didnt understand id look at my revision guide or book, if not still id consult a teacher but that didnt happen. Revision is different for each subject, for maths and chem i got away with just past papers, but for bio i just read the revision guide, and read around the subject, i feel understanding something means i wont forget it easily

Thanks for the tips! :h:
Original post by issy w
just started year 12 studying philosophy, geography & english lit/lang. do you have any tips for A levels?

Enjoy year 12, really great year, and looking at your subject combo id say pace yourself with some regular reading of texts and use various sources of info so your critical analyses are on point
Original post by tessa w
Well done.
Can you suggest good websites and revision guides for a level Biology and Chemistry ?

Bio: http://biology.org.uk/a-level/notes/
CGP guides looked good, I personally used the oxford press one
Chem: http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/
https://chemrevise.org/
Chemguide, then CGP. Some friends used something called chemsheets i think from amazon that looked good
Bio: http://biology.org.uk/a-level/notes/
CGP guides looked good, I personally used the oxford press one
Chem: http://www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk/
https://chemrevise.org/
Chemguide, then CGP. Some friends used something called chemsheets i think from amazon that looked good

Thank you so much and well done again.
Original post by BDunlop
For physics, which spec did you do, then new one? Did you make sure you were revising specifically spec based, or did you wider read?

Didnt do physics my friend (mig do the a level this year, havent decided), but my school did AQA. I image if i had done it i woukd have gone a bit beyond the spec at least though

Original post by ahlaladolly
I've got mocks coming up in 2 weeks for bio and chem for my predicted grades, all AS content
What do you suggest revision wise and do you have any specific revision techniques or methods for tackling questions?
Also, how do you give enough time to each subject and balance AS and A2?
Maths isn't my strongest subject atm - do you have any advice?
Sorry it's long and thanks:colondollar::smile:

Id say at this stage youre mostlikely fine with the content, just do AS past papers and note some of the top level marking points you see that you can learn from. Also for bio read the examiner reports, they sometimes give pretty good revision tips which will at least help when you come to revise fully in the summer. Read questions carefully and highlight/underrline key bits of info in the question as this can really help. Think before you write so your answers are concise, to the point. Break down harder questions into min questions that can lead you to the answer. In terms of balancing AS and A2, just try to find the links between what you cover now and AS, i found my lesson were actually good revision for AS lol. I started AS past papers in january, and A2 in march/april. Give whatever time you feel necessary, if you understand all the A2 stuff but not AS, then revise AS.
For maths i would say do as many questions as you can as it really is just practice tbh. I was a bit weird with it i only did some work for the applied modules because i just got core really easily, but maybe examsolutions could help for tougher topics

im the opposite :colondollar: A* in philosophy and As in the others
How did you revise for Paper 3 (practical work)?

Quick Reply

Latest